Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Macbook Pro minor CPU differences?

Simply said, I was always in a believe that differences between i3 - i5 - i7 series is mainly based on number of threads and cache. But down below, there are two options of Macbook Pro CPUs one i5 the other i7, but according to information I found the difference is only in clock speed. It comes to me that i5 is quite a bargain then and very good option (considering it is $300 cheaper) and only lacking 0.2 GHz base clock speed and 0.4 GHz Turbo, while maintaining same cache, threads, cores count and hyper-threading. What do you think guys? Am I correct?

 

  • A.) i5 - 2.3 GHz / Turbo 3.6 GHz (should be Intel Core i5-7360U)
  • B.) i7 - 2.5 GHz / Turbo 4 GHz (should be Intel Core i7-7660U) + $300

 

Both options should feature the same features: 2 cores, 4 threads, hyper-threading, 4mb cache.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Defcry said:

Simply said, I was always in a believe that differences between i3 - i5 - i7 series is mainly based on number of threads and cache. But down below, there are two options of Macbook Pro CPUs one i5 the other i7, but according to information I found the difference is only in clock speed. It comes to me that i5 is quite a bargain then and very good option (considering it is $300 cheaper) and only lacking 0.2 GHz base clock speed and 0.4 GHz Turbo, while maintaining same cache, threads, cores count and hyper-threading. What do you think guys? Am I correct?

 

  • A.) i5 - 2.3 GHz / Turbo 3.6 GHz (should be Intel Core i5-7360U)
  • B.) i7 - 2.5 GHz / Turbo 4 GHz (should be Intel Core i7-7660U) + $300

 

Both options should feature the same features: 2 cores, 4 threads, hyper-threading, 4mb cache.

I gotchu

IMG_0152.PNG

IMG_0153.PNG

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

So, basically this proves it. +1.03% increase in bench is definitely not worth spending $300 more :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Defcry said:

So, basically this proves it. +1.03% increase in bench is definitely not worth spending $300 more :)

Yeah, even according to Intel Ark there's little to no difference between them. https://ark.intel.com/compare/97537,97535

 

Now, if Apple offered laptops with an i7-7700HQ CPU like Dell did in their "MacBook actually Pro" lineup it'd be worth the upgrade.

Desktop: KRySTaLoGi-PC Build Log (i7-4790K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - Unlimited Calls & Texts + 12GB Data
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Now, if Apple offered laptops with an i7-7700HQ CPU like Dell did in their "MacBook actually Pro" lineup it'd be worth the upgrade.

Well they offer even more. You have the i7-7920HQ option in the full-packed 15 inch. But, these are the options for 13 inch without touch bar.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Defcry said:

Well they offer even more. You have the i7-7920HQ option in the full-packed 15 inch. But, these are the options for 13 inch without touch bar.

Ah, good to know. See, if Apple actually listed the exact CPU you were getting on the specifications pages I'd have known. le sigh Anyway, the 13 inch MacBook "Pro" is pretty limited, probably due to space inside the laptop. It's similar to how Dell's XPS 13 also only handles the U SKU Intel CPUs.

Desktop: KRySTaLoGi-PC Build Log (i7-4790K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - Unlimited Calls & Texts + 12GB Data
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×