PrintScreen not working in games,only takes pictures of desktop,etc

Go to solution Solved by Danny_UK,
1 minute ago, Gaurav S Rao said:

Im on windows 8.1

So yeah...

but... Windows 10 was free :/

Why did you not take the offer? xD

Use MSI after burner if you have it, if not you can use fraps if you have that. If you dont have any download either and use them, fraps is smaller and might give you a tiny fps hit, like 1-2fps but thats about it

Sorry if it's in the wrong category,but today my printscreen stopped working in games,by that i mean it would only take pics of my desktop like this: image.png.ce99dfdcfa50273546bde4c88d2c1c6a.png 

and it will not screenshot the actual thing happening in the game.I always use the PrintSc key on my keyboard,worked pefect untill today when it had this problem,this problem would always happen when snipping tool was opened in the background,closing it would fix this issue,it should happen like this when it works:woody.png.ab3657a2d2ead2e546f5aaeeb65edcfb.png

(its a screenshot from yesterday when it worked)

This same issue was on my laptop,but i just didnt use it much,when i got my desktop,i got a LOT of uses for it,since it worked,I am a simple game modder (specifically for older nfs titles) and use it a lot,but its not working,hope someone can help

Thanks.

PC Specs:Custom Built PC

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 TI Mini RAM:Corsair Vengence 2400 MHz DDR4 Motherboard:ASUS Prime B350M-A AM4 Motherboard Case:Corsair 100R PSU:Corsair VS450 

Laptop Specs:Acer TravelMate 8472

CPU:Intel Core i5 560M Memory:2GB DDR3 CPU:Intel HD Graphics Case:Its a Laptop Motherboard:Laptop Motherboard

Print screen would only work when you're playing the game in (borderless) windowed mode, not when in actual full screen.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

Print screen would only work when you're playing the game in (borderless) windowed mode, not when in actual full screen.

It was working in full screen yesterday and before,now how did the limitations appear?

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 TI Mini RAM:Corsair Vengence 2400 MHz DDR4 Motherboard:ASUS Prime B350M-A AM4 Motherboard Case:Corsair 100R PSU:Corsair VS450 

CPU:Intel Core i5 560M Memory:2GB DDR3 CPU:Intel HD Graphics Case:Its a Laptop Motherboard:Laptop Motherboard

It was working in full screen yesterday and before,now how did the limitations appear?

No clue how it would have worked at that point, Windows can't look at games played in fullscreen.

Why not just use the built in screenshot thing tool of whatever platform you're using (like that from Steam)? Otherwise you could try another screenshotting tool or playing in borderless windowed.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

6 minutes ago, Minibois said:

No clue how it would have worked at that point, Windows can't look at games played in fullscreen.

Why not just use the built in screenshot thing tool of whatever platform you're using (like that from Steam)? Otherwise you could try another screenshotting tool or playing in borderless windowed.

I'm playing Need for Speed Most Wanted (2005),idk if its on steam.I dont want to buy such a old game either.idk If it can be played in windowed mode where i can drag the window xD

3 minutes ago, Gaurav S Rao said:

I'm playing Need for Speed Most Wanted (2005),idk if its on steam.I dont want to buy such a old game either.idk If it can be played in windowed mode where i can drag the window xD

You could add the game to Steam as a 'non steam game' and still use the screenshot feature. In Steam you can also set launch options, so the game plays in a specific resolution, in windowed mode.. or whatever.

Assuming you're on Win 10 why not use xbox game DVR thing to print screen, or use MSI afterburner or fraps.  I know it's not a direct answer to what you're looking for but it's a workaround for now until a genius can find a fix for the actual issue

If my posts help out, let me know on the feedback buttons.

Parts: Ryzen 5 1600X / GTX 1080 / 16Gb Vengeance LPX / RGB Stuff....

Full Specs here: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/LcdZVY - OR click my profile pic

Just now, Minibois said:

You could add the game to Steam as a 'non steam game' and still use the screenshot feature. In Steam you can also set launch options, so the game plays in a specific resolution, in windowed mode.. or whatever.

I dont have steam,ill download it,im trying a trainer first that lets it be in windowed mode

Im on windows 8.1

Just now, Danny_UK said:

Assuming you're on Win 10 why not use xbox game DVR thing to print screen, or use MSI afterburner or fraps.  I know it's not a direct answer to what you're looking for but it's a workaround for now until a genius can find a fix for the actual issue

So yeah...

Just now, Minibois said:

Or this... this is pretty easy too

Full Specs here: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/LcdZVY - OR click my profile pic

had found the perfect solution,but yeahhhh image.png.2e2e9559fc69089ea48966699b7794e2.png

Im on windows 8.1

So yeah...

Use MSI after burner if you have it, if not you can use fraps if you have that. If you dont have any download either and use them, fraps is smaller and might give you a tiny fps hit, like 1-2fps but thats about it

Just now, Danny_UK said:

Ik,i installed it like 2 weeks ago after building my system,and its unactivated (not torrented) and waiting for my dad to buy a Win10 home key.

11 minutes ago, Gaurav S Rao said:

Ik,i installed it like 2 weeks ago after building my system,and its unactivated (not torrented) and waiting for my dad to buy a Win10 home key.

I do have fraps

16 minutes ago, Danny_UK said:

Fraps Works!!!!! Thanks.

55 minutes ago, Gaurav S Rao said:

Fraps Works!!!!! Thanks.

No probs