PC made out of actual garbage.

Wailmer

Hi Guys, I wanted to share a truly awful PC build I did. It's made out of actual garbage.

Here's the parts list to start out with:

CPU: AMD FX-8350 WHY IS IT GARBAGE? This CPU came from a friend's PC. It blue screened all the time and then got some bent pins when examined. He upgraded and was going to throw it away.

MOBO: Some ASUS board I have no idea what kind. 970 FX chipset (I think) WHY IS IT GARBAGE? Mobo from friend who was tossing the CPU. Assumed bad.

RAM: 4 x 2 GB sticks of old DDR3 WHY IS IT GARBAGE? Memory pulled from work PCs that were headed to the recycling center (I work in IT, I can't take whole PCs but I can pull some working components)

COOLER: Random CPU cooler pulled from a dead HP Z620 workstation WHY IS IT GARBAGE? The old Z620 workstation was getting recycled, so I pulled the cooler.

GPU: I started building this PC with a Quadro 4000 from the same Z620 that the cooler came from. When it didn't have the outputs I needed to test the PC I swapped it for a friend's old R7 260X WHY IS IT GARBAGE? The Quadro 4000 would thermal shut down (thanks, Fermi) and was a big reason the Z620 was getting recycled (and it was super old) The 260X was replaced with a 970 long ago.

PSU: EVGA 500 watt WHY IS IT GARBAGE? It's not, I just had it laying around from an old build.

STORAGE: Adata 120 GB SSD WHY IS IT GARBAGE? It's not, I just wanted an SSD and 120 GB was good enough for testing

So how did I fix the parts? I took everything apart. Cooler off of the GPU (I did the same thing for both), heatsinks off of the mobo, pretty much just stripping down everything. Then I hit everything with brake cleaner. This stuff is great, it will take everything off while drying quickly and leaving no residue. I reapplied fresh thermal paste to everything and it all worked great. I fixed the pins on the CPU and everything worked great.

Why an Amazon box for the case? I thought it was funny.

I set to using zip ties to hold everything in. I just poked holes into the cardboard and zip tied everything. The box is actually extremely solid. I just kept cutting and zip tying. The power button is an old button I found laying around that I soldered to some old speaker wire. I took the motherboard end and spliced an old fan header to it so I could easily attach and detach it.

After everything was in, I got some cheap fans and fan grills and gave it some airflow. Temps are good and the PC is fairly quiet. As quiet as cheap fans can be.

The image with the 260X in it is the PC up and running. I played some Overwatch on it and it was 100% solid, overclocked and everything. Solid 60 FPS on lowerish settings.

IMG_1977.JPG

IMG_1978.JPG

IMG_1979.JPG

IMG_1980.JPG

IMG_2003.JPG

IMG_2009.JPG

IMG_2010.JPG

IMG_2011.JPG

IMG_2020.JPG

My Build:

CPU: Xeon E5-2680v2 @ ~4 GHz RAM: 32 GB DDR3 (blck overclocking messes with the speed) GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC @ ~2015 MHz STORAGE: A few 120 GB SSDs, a few 1 TB HDDs, and an 8 TB WD Red COOLER: H110i V2 CASE: Hacked up NZXT Source 220

Nice build. Or I should say scrap build.

Spoiler

At least your hardware is better then mine, as a secondary machine, I have a single core pentium 4 @3.0GHz, 80GB IDE HDD, iGPU, DVD drive and windows XP. It has a decent, but standard case, but a crappy propiotary power supply from an unknown manufacturer.

This is one of the most interesting builds I've seen. Love it! Done any stability tests like aida or prime 95?

Just now, Cameron K said:

This is one of the most interesting builds I've seen. Love it! Done any stability tests like aida or prime 95?

Just now, NinJake said:

That's awesome. How's it run?

It runs fine, the 8350 gets a little warm while gaming but is also OC'd to 4.4 GHz. The R7 260X leaves a bit to be desired in 2017. It was only ~$50 out of pocket to get it up and running so I'm happy enough with it. It's kind of a conversation piece.

My Build:

CPU: Xeon E5-2680v2 @ ~4 GHz RAM: 32 GB DDR3 (blck overclocking messes with the speed) GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC @ ~2015 MHz STORAGE: A few 120 GB SSDs, a few 1 TB HDDs, and an 8 TB WD Red COOLER: H110i V2 CASE: Hacked up NZXT Source 220

Right, take it to some LANS lol. Inside another cardboard box, open the box to see another box!

IMG_1980.JPG

CHRIST! Didn't that box come with any cable management? What are you even thinking?

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Just now, TidaLWaveZ said:

CHRIST! Didn't that box come with any cable management? What are you even thinking?

I did do some cable management before I sealed up the box. Meaning I zip tied the cables away.

What was I thinking? "I now have enough parts to build a PC" and "Why not?" mostly.

My Build:

Just now, Wailmer said:

I did do some cable management before I sealed up the box. Meaning I zip tied the cables away.

What was I thinking? "I now have enough parts to build a PC" and "Why not?" mostly.

I was kidding as it's a cardboard box. :ph34r:

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

1 minute ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

I was kidding as it's a cardboard box. :ph34r:

I mean, at the same time it's a cardboard box. Cable management and layout is what you make it lol :P

My Build:

LTT really has nothing on scrapyard wars unless they start building in a cardboard box like this....

@LinusTech new scrapyard wars rule: Build must be made in cardboard box?

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

Great build!  really do like it but only thing I don't like is power switch. You could put it inside glue it and it would be cool that only button is outside.

7 minutes ago, Hiitchy said:

LTT really has nothing on scrapyard wars unless they start building in a cardboard box like this....

@LinusTech new scrapyard wars rule: Build must be made in cardboard box?

Next budget >$100??????????????

My Build: