Best headset for Xbox One X

Hello everyone! 

I have preordered the Xbox One X because my day zero edition Xbox One is dying on me. I know with the X I will be wasting money if I do not get the best performance out of everything I can. I already have a decent television and soundbar but I am really in need of some new headphones. 

I have done some research and everywhere I go gives me conflicting reviews of what the one I read before that said was the best. I am lost. 

Dolby Atmos or 7.1 surround. 

Wireless or wired. 

Turtle beach or anyone else.

I really don't care about a brand and wireless would be nice but I would still love recommendations about wired options too (even though there will always be that pesky wire going from my headset to the controller). 

I just want recommendations and your experiences and all that. I want it to be under 200 U.S dollars but that does not mean I want a 199 dollar pair. 

Thank you in advance!

I currently am loving the Sennheiser Game Zeros, they are wired, but they sound great and my ears don't get too hot while I'm wearing them. I would not reccomend getting Turtle Beach, they typically have muddy bass and based off a friend who got them, they have pretty terrible build quality.

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-GAME-Gaming-Headset-Black/dp/B00KNPYAEY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1507820991&sr=8-1&keywords=game+zero

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:59 AM, joshuagoswald said:

Dolby Atmos or 7.1 surround. 

The Xbox has built-in spatial sound (Windows Sonic). It's as good (some say better) than Atmos or 7.1 virtual surround. Games are supposedly optimized for this too, so it's the best way to go for recreating sound as the developers intended it.

Don't bother with headphones that have surround, you don't need it. Just get stereo headphones. You only have two ears.

• 5 months later...

I would be careful about compatible fully tested and reviewed first hand with Xbox because for some reason not all headsets work with Xbox... I bought the Logitech G633 and for some unknown reason I always get echo during gaming....and so far have not been able to isolate or find a fix for this....basically wasted $150 listening to hyped up reviews that were not specific to use on Xbox.

In considering my next headset I am thinking something that uses the fiber optic output on the back of Xbox that goes to a separate amplifier for the headset thru wire or optional wireless. Think i will go with a full tested Astro A50 for xbox

http://www.gadgetreview.com/best-xbox-one-headset

5 hours ago, HogsTeeth said:

I always get echo during gaming

you sure it's not Mic Monitoring being enabled on the system? Guide > Settings > Audio (if you haven't already tried that)

The Xbox uses the same headset standards as most modern phones and computers, assuming PS4 as well (if those have headphone jacks, I've never used one personally), so at least in terms of the connector layout, it should be identical.

Apple-compatible headsets use the exact same layout, but their mics are way quieter, so you need a gain booster on the mic input (not available on Xbox) or it will be too quiet to be picked up. Sound output will always work fine though. 

Anyways in your specific case, I'd play around with the settings on the Xbox, as well as if the headset has any, in case its some hidden "feature". Maybe try it on other devices too, if you can, that way you can narrow it down to being the Xbox or the headset.