Black screen/signal lost after gaming for awhile with RX580

gr8-1

Hi,

My Gigabyte 7970 recently died after more than 5.5 years of use, and earlier today I got myself a SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon™ RX 580 8GD5 Special Edition as a replacement GPU.

However I currently have an issue where after gaming for awhile, my monitor seems to lose signal and audio (my audio jack is connected to my monitor), the screen turns black, after which I need to hard reset my PC. So far I've only tried playing Forza Horizon 3 on Ultra settings, and the issue happens almost everytime after about 15mins of gaming.

EDIT: Sorry forgot to add, so far I've yet to see this issue while my PC is idle, or if I'm doing light activities such as browsing the web. At idle/light activities, the temps seem to hover around 47-48 deg.

I've installed the latest AMD driver, 17.9.3 and from what I'm seeing in the Wattman settings, the signal loss seems to occur after the temps reach about 75-76 deg. Also I've not altered any clock settings on the GPU.

My PC specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel I7 2700K 3.5ghz (stock clock)

GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon™ RX 580 8GD5 Special Edition http://www.sapphiretech.com/productdetial.asp?pid=38919...

Mobo: Asrock Z68 Extreme 7 Gen 3, Bios set to v2.30

RAM: GSkill RipjawsX DDR3 (4GBx2) https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-17000cl9d-8gbxm

PSU: CoolerMaster Silent Pro M2 850W

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

HDD: Western Digital Black 1TB

Case: CMStorm Enforcer

Might you guys know if this a PSU consumption issue when there is heavy load, or something else? Cause I didn't have this issue before with the 7970.

If need be, I have 7 days from today to bring the 580 back to the shop, so any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

could be a bad driver install. Use DDU to remove all traces and reinstall. Also run sfc/ scannow in the command line to check for any errors inside Windows. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

I've done a run of the scannow, and it didnt report any integrity violations.

I can try the DDU reinstall later. though I initially did do the driver cleanup via DDU in safe mode, before first installing the 17.9.3 drivers.

Hi again,

So I did the DDU uninstall in safe mode and then reinstalling the same drivers. Only difference this time is that I chose not to install the Wattman application, and only installed the AMD drivers and HDMI audio driver. I then installed the Trixx software thats supposed to compliment the Sapphire GPU.

Unfortunately I still ran into the same problem when running Forza Horizon 3.

• 5 months later...

I've been running into this issue recently with my XFX RX 580 Black Edition 8GB.

After a lot of fiddling with Wattman, I found that pushing the power limit up to +50%, increasing the fan RPMs and Lowering the temp target, as well as Undervolting the VRAM from 950mv to 900mv and lowering the Core voltage to 1137mv instead of 1150mv seems to fix the problem.

• 1 year later...

I just want to say thanks for this, I'm running into the same issues with my rx570 and hopefully I can find the right settings in wattman to straighten this out. 

• 7 months later...
On 4/9/2018 at 11:15 AM, mbiebel872 said:

I've been running into this issue recently with my XFX RX 580 Black Edition 8GB.

After a lot of fiddling with Wattman, I found that pushing the power limit up to +50%, increasing the fan RPMs and Lowering the temp target, as well as Undervolting the VRAM from 950mv to 900mv and lowering the Core voltage to 1137mv instead of 1150mv seems to fix the problem.

I actually only registered here to say A HUGE THANKS to mbibel872. Works perfect. XFX RX 580 8 GB Black.

• 1 month later...
On 5/25/2020 at 7:54 AM, Alex Snow said:

I actually only registered here to say A HUGE THANKS to mbibel872. Works perfect. XFX RX 580 8 GB Black.

Can you guide me how did you do that setting.. I gat same card too gets black screen and computer stuck..

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know how to do this fix for a Sapphire 580 Pulse on a Mac Pro?

• 6 months later...
On 4/9/2018 at 5:15 PM, mbiebel872 said:

I have the same problem I´ll try to undervolt it as you described it! But I have a slightly bigger problem..

Sometimes my game crashes with weird color squares across the whole screen.. Will undervolting it to 1137 solve that problem too?

Thanks for the help