Can I set Plex to optimize all my media that requires conversion to be played?

Go to solution Solved by Mikensan,

You could add a tag to everything that isn't h264 and then optimize by that filter/tag. Personally since my upload is so bad I want everybody playing 720p externally but everything I download is 1080p - so everything get optimized in the end.

Does anyone know if I can get Plex to optimize only media that would normally require conversion?

Or do I need to manually check each one if it requires conversion and then optimize?

Some of my media is the wrong format, so my old server will struggle to convert and then stream media live. Obviously the solution is to optimize those files, however I do not want to have to optimize my whole library.

"Those who are last are sideways and smiling". - Jeremy Clarkson

Pretty sure that if you set it so optimize your entire lib, it will skip over those that are lower then your optimize already?

4 minutes ago, SuNe^ said:

Pretty sure that if you set it so optimize your entire lib, it will skip over those that are lower then your optimize already?

I don't quite understand what you mean... o.O

4 minutes ago, NPSTR107 said:

I don't quite understand what you mean... o.O

Oh sorry, What i mean is that if you set your optimization to 480p 1,5mbits, It will only optimize those that are higher then the setting, and just ignore those that are lower then the setting already

(I think), or atleast when i tried now, it said it was converting at 3000x+

Just now, SuNe^ said:

Oh sorry, What i mean is that if you set your optimization to 480p 1,5mbits, It will only optimize those that are higher then the setting, and just ignore those that are lower then the setting already

I primarily use optimization just to change the format and retain original quality, so that probably wouldn't work then...

You could add a tag to everything that isn't h264 and then optimize by that filter/tag. Personally since my upload is so bad I want everybody playing 720p externally but everything I download is 1080p - so everything get optimized in the end.

22 hours ago, Mikensan said:

Fortunately my upload isn't too bad around 36mbps. Even on Australia's crap broadband network.

I like how in 2010 they were going to upgrade all of Australia's internet to fibre with 1,000 down / up. Though they decided to cut costs and make it with half cable so the maximum limit is 100 down 40 up.

And yet my 'friend' in Hong Kong is getting 2,000 down 2,000 up.

On 10/14/2017 at 9:02 AM, NPSTR107 said:

Fortunately my upload isn't too bad around 36mbps. Even on Australia's crap broadband network.

I like how in 2010 they were going to upgrade all of Australia's internet to fibre with 1,000 down / up. Though they decided to cut costs and make it with half cable so the maximum limit is 100 down 40 up.

And yet my 'friend' in Hong Kong is getting 2,000 down 2,000 up.

36 upload? Buddy just outside Brisbane would kill for it, think he's on ADSL last I checked.