Ryzen 7 1700

Slaxc

Just finished my pc today, Ryzen 7 1700 stock cooler Gigabyte Gaming 5 GTX 1080

Im getting a 3.8Ghz at around 50-55 C, I want to go higher but I’m worried I’ll screw something up. Can any overclocking experts help me out? I have no idea what to do for voltage or how high I can overclock. Also, I downloaded NVIDIA Game Experience or whatever and it decreased my FPS in pubg quite a bit. I’m getting 60 FPS and lower sometimes on almost all medium and low settings. 

Most 1700s can do 3.9 Ghz (like mine) with some decent aftermarket cooling. On the stock wraith cooler, ~3.7 Ghz is about the norm while keeping thermals in mind. 

On the Wraith cooler, I do not recommend pushing vcore above 1.35V, as temps can spiral out of control depending on ambients and case airflow.

If you have decent aftermarket cooling, the general rule of thumb is to try to keep vcore below 1.425v if you can, and have LLC set to Auto or 1. I don't really recommend LLC to be set at 2 if your voltage is above 1.4, as the LLC voltage boosting will push the vcore into an unsafe range (1.45+V). To assist in maintaining stability you may want to set SOC voltage to 1.1-1.15v.

For your RAM, if you care to overclock that, setting a DOCP profile will give you a quick and easy bump though it's hardly optimal. Setting DRAM boot voltage (may have a different name in Gigabyte BIOS) to 1.4v will help immensely in ensuring stability during cold boots. To optimize RAM timings for your kit and motherboard, I can't really help as I have no experience with Gigabyte boards. There are plenty of guides out there that will help.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

1 minute ago, Phentos said:

Most 1700s can do 3.9 Ghz (like mine) with some decent aftermarket cooling. On the stock wraith cooler, ~3.7 Ghz is about the norm while keeping thermals in mind. 

General rule of thumb is to try to keep vcore below 1.425v if you can, and have LLC set to Auto or 1. I don't really recommend LLC to be set at 2 if your voltage is above 1.4, as the LLC voltage boosting will push the vcore into an unsafe range (1.45+V). To assist in maintaining stability you may want to set SOC voltage to 1.1-1.15v.

For your RAM, if you care to overclock that, setting a DOCP profile will give you a quick and easy bump though it's hardly optimal. Setting DRAM boot voltage (may have a different name in Gigabyte BIOS) to 1.4v will help immensely in ensuring stability during cold boots.

What are good temperatures? What should I try to stay below?

Just now, Slaxc said:

What are good temperatures? What should I try to stay below?

Well all Ryzen CPUs have their temperature reporting offset by 20C to ensure no thermal problems occur. Ryzen Master is the most accurate tool I've found that can monitor CPU temperatures on Ryzen.

Generally anything above 70C (add 20 to any figure) as reported by Ryzen Master is too high for comfort. If your motherboard BIOS allows you to disable SenseMI Skew then the offset will no longer appear. 

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

What resolution are you playing PUBG?

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

As above says, juts stick at or below 1.35v and your safe. I'm comfortable with anything 75 or below, but realistically chips only start to properly die above 90-95. 

Keep in mind; the hotter your processor is running the lower the lifetime. 

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

1 minute ago, TahoeDust said:

What resolution are you playing PUBG?

1440p

1 minute ago, Armakar said:

As above says, juts stick at or below 1.35v and your safe. I'm comfortable with anything 75 or below, but realistically chips only start to properly die above 90-95. 

Keep in mind; the hotter your processor is running the lower the lifetime. 

If you don’t mind taking a look at the pictures I posted above, what should I change my voltages to in DRAM VCORE VDD18 and all that other stuff?

7 minutes ago, Slaxc said:

1440p

60 fps medium is pretty dang good.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Just now, Damascus said:

60 fps medium is pretty dang good.

But I’m getting the same on ultra, at 3.7Ghz I was getting 80-90 or 100 pretty easy. It dropped after I installed that dumb NVIDIA experience 

3 minutes ago, Slaxc said:

If you don’t mind taking a look at the pictures I posted above, what should I change my voltages to in DRAM VCORE VDD18 and all that other stuff?

Personally, I would just leave them on Auto. While usually I think Auto is garbage and feeds way too much vcore, settings like these won't take the same beating the full core voltage package  would take. Your only really changing the CPU voltage and CPU frequency/ratio/speed.

According to Gigabyte however, apparently tweaking these gives a more stable overclock (auto voltages tend to over-compensate).

If you want to manually tweak them it's reccomended that you use these settings:

VCORE SOC set to 1.35, lower this until you find an unstable clock

VCORE VDD18 set to 2.1 , lower this until you find an unstable clock

VCORE VDDP set to +0.2 , lower this until you find an unstable clock

Main Rig

Just now, Slaxc said:

But I’m getting the same on ultra, at 3.7Ghz I was getting 80-90 or 100 pretty easy. It dropped after I installed that dumb NVIDIA experience 

PUBG has trash optimization. I seem to remember a reviewer (I think Bitwit/awesomesauce) said he can't get that game to run past 100FPS even with 1080ti's.

Main Rig

3 minutes ago, Armakar said:

Personally, I would just leave them on Auto. While usually I think Auto is garbage and feeds way too much vcore, settings like these won't take the same beating the full core voltage package  would take. Your only really changing the CPU voltage and CPU frequency/ratio/speed.

According to Gigabyte however, apparently tweaking these gives a more stable overclock (auto voltages tend to over-compensate).

If you want to manually tweak them it's reccomended that you use these settings:

What will help get the RAM to be stable at 3200Mhz?

5 minutes ago, Armakar said:

Also, is it good to update your bios? I hear a lot of people say updating bios usually brings a lot of problems but not sure.

1 minute ago, Slaxc said:

What will help get the RAM to be stable at 3200Mhz?

I've never found tweaking RAM overclocks useful; RAM is probably the most durable component (on a purely electrical basis) in the PC (that's why companies like Gskill have lifetime warranty lol) so you don't really need to adjust RAM voltage unless you REALLY want to. To overclock my RAM, I just select a speed it's rated for (3200 mhz in your case) and leave the RAM voltage on auto, that should give it more than enough voltage to be stable.

Otherwise, try the XMP profiles. They're essentially pre-configured overclocks iirc, but i've never used them.

Main Rig

Also, is it good to update your bios? I hear a lot of people say updating bios usually brings a lot of problems but not sure.

BIOS updates in reality should only be done if needed, there's always the possibility of using a bios that is later found to be largely flawed, and worse, bricking your motherboard.

If your BIOS is first-release, i'd say it's worth an update, because when Ryzen came out basically nobody could get 3200mhz RAM before BIOS updates hit. BIOS updates even improved ryzens performance. If your  BIOS is an old version, yes, update it, otherwise I wouldn't bother, I wouldn't waste the time and risk bricking my board.

Main Rig

1 minute ago, Armakar said:

BIOS updates in reality should only be done if needed, there's always the possibility of using a bios that is later found to be largely flawed, and worse, bricking your motherboard.

If your BIOS is first-release, i'd say it's worth an update, because when Ryzen came out basically nobody could get 3200mhz RAM before BIOS updates hit. BIOS updates even improved ryzens performance. If your  BIOS is an old version, yes, update it, otherwise I wouldn't bother, I wouldn't waste the time and risk bricking my board.

It’s Bios 5, using the Gigabyte Gaming 5. The newest one is like F9

3 minutes ago, Armakar said:

I've never found tweaking RAM overclocks useful; RAM is probably the most durable component (on a purely electrical basis) in the PC (that's why companies like Gskill have lifetime warranty lol) so you don't really need to adjust RAM voltage unless you REALLY want to. To overclock my RAM, I just select a speed it's rated for (3200 mhz in your case) and leave the RAM voltage on auto, that should give it more than enough voltage to be stable.

Otherwise, try the XMP profiles. They're essentially pre-configured overclocks iirc, but i've never used them.

I’m having some other problems, my mobo lights won’t turn on. Or just the motherboard in general, on this little indicator it says 0d, don’t know what that means. But my mobo won’t turn on

29 minutes ago, Phentos said:

Well all Ryzen CPUs have their temperature reporting offset by 20C to ensure no thermal problems occur. Ryzen Master is the most accurate tool I've found that can monitor CPU temperatures on Ryzen.

Generally anything above 70C (add 20 to any figure) as reported by Ryzen Master is too high for comfort. If your motherboard BIOS allows you to disable SenseMI Skew then the offset will no longer appear. 

That offset only applied to 1700x and 1800x and I believe software now takes that into consideration. No need to add 20 to anything. I tend to recommend no higher than 80c, though 90 is where I encourage aftermarket cooling.

17 minutes ago, Armakar said:

Are you sure about these? Do you have experience with what they do as it pertains to Gigabyte boards? I'm almost positive VCORE SOC is what MSI calls "CPU NB Voltage" and most of us refer to as simply SoC Voltage. This is used to help stabilize ram overclocks and AMD recommends 1.1v as a starting point and no higher than 1.2v.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

9 minutes ago, Armakar said:

What do I do, I’m freakin out over here

image.thumb.jpg.5583185cec3d232c5c9cb1e88f268b35.jpg

52912761662__8F766AE8-E2DB-49DA-86AF-645EAF916796.MOV

1 minute ago, johndms said:

That offset only applied to 1700x and 1800x and I believe software now takes that into consideration. No need to add 20 to anything. I tend to recommend no higher than 80c, though 90 is where I encourage aftermarket cooling.

Are you sure about these? Do you have experience with what they do as it pertains to Gigabyte boards? I'm almost positive VCORE SOC is what MSI calls "CPU NB Voltage" and most of us refer to as simply SoC Voltage. This is used to help stabilize ram overclocks and AMD recommends 1.1v as a starting point and no higher than 1.2v.

Do you know anything about the 0d error code? My motherboard will not turn on and I’m freaking out

3 minutes ago, Slaxc said:

What do I do, I’m freakin out over here

image.thumb.jpg.5583185cec3d232c5c9cb1e88f268b35.jpg

52912761662__8F766AE8-E2DB-49DA-86AF-645EAF916796.MOV

You need to look at your motherboard manual. Find something about a debug LED or debug panel, and it'll say what this error means.

Main Rig

Do you know anything about the 0d error code? My motherboard will not turn on and I’m freaking out

I don't own a Gigabyte board and have no experience debugging error codes. I do know that overclocking should only be done if you have a fair bit of knowledge beforehand regarding overclocking. Lots of people may attempt to offer advanced tips and it sounds like you may be a beginner. I'd recommend resetting the CMOS and leaving it at stock until you do more research.

Basic overclocking is NOT difficult and shouldn't me made so by trying to introduce all the advanced voltages at once. Watch the following video and start slow. Don't mess with voltages you don't know for certain what they do. Research first. This video will apply to Ryzen 7 as well.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz