Issues After Transition from Z170/6600k to X99/6800k

I recently got a hold of an ASUS X99-E motherboard along with an i7 6800k (that I paid 90 dollars for thanks to Amazon selling it for 299.99 and me having a bunch of reward points) and switched my old ASUS Z170-A and i5 6600k out. The transition was smooth and I was able to overclock the 6800k to a stable 4.3 GHz. After this, I ran Cinebnech for my feel good points and left my PC on for about 8 hours with a Source engine game running in the background, some 20 tabs of Google Chrome, and World of Tanks at the garage. After 8 hours, I woke up to find that my computer had BSOD'd and restarted. Every single time I attempted to restart I would get a BSOD before even seeing the splash screen. I took out all but one of the DIMMs, thinking it was a RAM issue and made it as far as the automatic repair menu before getting a BSOD again. I tried going back to stock clock settings, updating my BIOS, and am now in the process of running chkdsk off my Win 8.1 CD. Do you guys have any ideas what the issue could be?

The BSOD messages I have received thus far:

Driver_Corrupted_Expool

Driver_Overran_Stack_Buffer

Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_Area

Thread_Exception_Not_Handled

Kernel_Security_Check_Failure

I have also received other BSODs but were not able to read the message out before my computer attempted to reboot again. I would prefer not having to completely reinstall Windows as I had left some data on the boot drive that I had not yet backed up.

14 minutes ago, ArtoriaPendragon said:

I recently got a hold of an ASUS X99-E motherboard along with an i7 6800k (that I paid 90 dollars for thanks to Amazon selling it for 299.99 and me having a bunch of reward points) and switched my old ASUS Z170-A and i5 6600k out. The transition was smooth and I was able to overclock the 6800k to a stable 4.3 GHz. After this, I ran Cinebnech for my feel good points and left my PC on for about 8 hours with a Source engine game running in the background, some 20 tabs of Google Chrome, and World of Tanks at the garage. After 8 hours, I woke up to find that my computer had BSOD'd and restarted. Every single time I attempted to restart I would get a BSOD before even seeing the splash screen. I took out all but one of the DIMMs, thinking it was a RAM issue and made it as far as the automatic repair menu before getting a BSOD again. I tried going back to stock clock settings, updating my BIOS, and am now in the process of running chkdsk off my Win 8.1 CD. Do you guys have any ideas what the issue could be?

The BSOD messages I have received thus far:

Driver_Corrupted_Expool

Driver_Overran_Stack_Buffer

Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_Area

Thread_Exception_Not_Handled

Kernel_Security_Check_Failure

I have also received other BSODs but were not able to read the message out before my computer attempted to reboot again. I would prefer not having to completely reinstall Windows as I had left some data on the boot drive that I had not yet backed up.

Have you tried switching RAM sticks out? And in different DIMM slots? I'm suspecting (assuming on a clean installed Windows) either one or more bad ram sticks or bad DIMM slots...

CPU: i7-12700KF Grill Plate Edition // MOBO: Asus Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 // RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz CL14 

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 FE // PSU: Corsair RM750i // CASE: Thermaltake Core X71 // BOOT: Samsung Evo 960 500GB

STORAGE: WD PC SN530 512GB + Samsung Evo 860 500GB // COOLING: Full custom loop // DISPLAY: LG 34UC89G-B

1 minute ago, Limecat86 said:

Have you tried switching RAM sticks out? And in different DIMM slots? I'm suspecting (assuming on a clean installed Windows) either one or more bad ram sticks or bad DIMM slots...

Yes I have.

16 minutes ago, ArtoriaPendragon said:

Yes I have.

Hmm, though one. It could also be the harddrive or SSD whereever your Windows is installed.

But first thing I would do is a memtest.

CPU: i7-12700KF Grill Plate Edition // MOBO: Asus Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 // RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz CL14 

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 FE // PSU: Corsair RM750i // CASE: Thermaltake Core X71 // BOOT: Samsung Evo 960 500GB

STORAGE: WD PC SN530 512GB + Samsung Evo 860 500GB // COOLING: Full custom loop // DISPLAY: LG 34UC89G-B

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

Have you cleared CMOS and set everything back to default?

Right after I tried swapping out the DIMMs.

8 minutes ago, Limecat86 said:

Hmm, though one. It could also be the harddrive or SSD whereever your Windows is installed.

But first thing I would do is a memtest.

I'll give that a go after chkdsk is done running

Just now, ArtoriaPendragon said:

I'll give that a go after chkdsk is done running

I noticed that you have a couple of SSDs.  Can you install a fresh install of Windows onto the other one to test with?

I run multiple copies of Windows specifically for this reason.  I have my daily copy of Windows loaded onto one SSD and I never boot into that OS with anything other than stock settings or a proven overclock.  I have Windows on other SSDs for benchmarking and stability testing.  Crashes, especially those related to memory can corrupt Windows files very badly.

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

I noticed that you have a couple of SSDs.  Can you install a fresh install of Windows onto the other one to test with?

I run multiple copies of Windows specifically for this reason.  I have my daily copy of Windows loaded onto one SSD and I never boot into that OS with anything other than stock settings or a proven overclock.  I have Windows on other SSDs for benchmarking and stability testing.  Crashes, especially those related to memory can corrupt Windows files very badly.

The only SSD with any space left is the MP500 so I'll try after chkdsk finishes (50% on stage 4) and memtest.

You did re-install Windows after the hardware change right?

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

3 minutes ago, TahoeDust said:

You did re-install Windows after the hardware change right?

Yup. I might just try re-installing again but during the time that I had it working, I had saved some .xcf files on the boot drive that I would prefer not to lose.

So I've run into a problem. I can't even get through Windows installation with a disk without BSODing.

41 minutes ago, ArtoriaPendragon said:

So I've run into a problem. I can't even get through Windows installation with a disk without BSODing.

This sounds like the disk you are trying to install your OS on is on its last legs.

Do you have all your other drives unplugged while the OS is installing?

Just to be sure, did you refer ALL your overclock settings back to stock/default?

That means, CPU, RAM, etc.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

19 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

This sounds like the disk you are trying to install your OS on is on its last legs.

Do you have all your other drives unplugged while the OS is installing?

Just to be sure, did you refer ALL your overclock settings back to stock/default?

That means, CPU, RAM, etc.

The only drive connected during installation is the M.2

All settings are back to default. I'm currently getting a Win 8.1 USB ready.

Bump and new question before RMA.

The DIMM slots are detecting the modules but there seems to be a lot of memory-related BSODs. Could there be a possibility that this is on the motherboard's end where DIMMs are detected but there are issues? The DIMMs were pulled from a Z170-A board and was working fine on it. 

Update: Amazon is sending me a board with same day shipping so I'll be able to check if it was just a defective mobo or not since my DIMMs were working just fine with the Z170.