Core i3 Coffee Lake or Ryzen 3 1200?

I need a new budget CPU for some simple gaming or editing. I will upgrade to a NEW CPU & GPU later on when i get the budget but i am gonna pair this with a GTX 1050 TI, 16GB of Ram & 650w PSU. 

Should I stick to Core i3 Coffee Lake or get Ryzen 3 1200

1 minute ago, ImHyperstyle said:

i'd get the 8100

I can easily upgrade to the i7-8700k right?

& if so, what differences will i notice when i jump from an i3 to an i7

7 minutes ago, UltimaHeart said:

I can easily upgrade to the i7-8700k right?

& if so, what differences will i notice when i jump from an i3 to an i7

depending on the game a massive difference, or a small increase, depends how cpu heavy the game is and how many cores its able to utilise 

36 minutes ago, ONOTech said:

If you're buying it now, the 1200 will be cheaper because of Z370 motherboard prices.

does it have to be Z370? what about the B and H chipsets? they can't OC but other than that they should be ok

1 hour ago, UltimaHeart said:

I need a new budget CPU for some simple gaming or editing. I will upgrade to a NEW CPU & GPU later on when i get the budget but i am gonna pair this with a GTX 1050 TI, 16GB of Ram & 650w PSU. 

Should I stick to Core i3 Coffee Lake or get Ryzen 3 1200

Keep in mind that Intel will might change their motherboards again with the next gen intel while AMD at least said to stick with AM4 until 2020.

Otherwise I'd ram it up to the i5-8400 if you find a good deal (black friday coming up). This 6core CPU equals the i7-7700 in most benchmarks, which is part amazing, part a big f-ing insult from intel to all kabylake users.

Whelp.

Edit: I just checked pricing, they are 100€ apart here in germany, which makes it almost double the i3. So maybe the i3 on a decent Z370 board and then upgrade to a i5-8600k or even the i7-8700k down the line.

1 minute ago, ONOTech said:

Early 2018. I think February? You're looking at 4-6 months according to some sources.

that means no coffee lake budget builds for christmas, eh?

People are pushing Coffee Lake to you, but not really telling you that the 8700K will be the best CPU you'll ever get on the platform.

If you plan to upgrade later, then assume that 8700K performance is the best you'll ever get.

I am curious as if Intel will change this business model, but I wouldn't count on it.

I am curious to see how Zen+ will be, as supposedly AMD's primary focus is to fix the IMC issues along with clockspeed limitations.

You need to remember that the 8700K is beating Ryzen 7 with a 1GHZ clock speed gap. Zen+ CPUs will more than likely close, if not, beat that gap.

Then of course, you need to factor in the 16 PCI-E lane limitation. I don't know what kind of editing you plan to do, how you plan to capture footage, what footage you'll be using (are you doing game related streaming/recording, are you capturing from a camera and doing editing there? These are big questions to answer for yourself).

On AM4, we will get Zen+ and Zen 2, so I would suggest getting a Ryzen 3 and a budget ASRock or ASUS B350 motherboard.

At least you can run a Ryzen 7 on them stock without worrying about VRMs on their B350 boards.

Sorry for the wall of text, but by the time you plan to upgrade, AMD may have CPUs better than the 8700K, supported on the sub $100 motherboard that you buy TODAY.

EDIT: Also, good choice on the Geforce GTX 1050ti. It's a solid card for gaming, the CUDA cores will give you extra oomph in your editing tasks (assuming that you will use the Adobe suite, or most other mainstream / professional class editing software).

Edited by Jon Jon
Additional Detail

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

you can go for 8100 & z370 board if you can afford. you can upgrade to 8700k later & thats an absolute beast. if you go for ryzen yup probably you can save a bit money for board here now, but do remember if you want to put ryzen 1700 later, these cheap b350s board are not recommended & not good enough for 1700, so in a way you might want an x370 board atleast. basically you will pay the same. feel free to go with any, both side are good. 

2 minutes ago, Fardin said:

you can go for 8100 & z370 board if you can afford. you can upgrade to 8700k later & thats an absolute beast. if you go for ryzen yup probably you can save a bit money for board here now, but do remember if you want to put ryzen 1700 later, these cheap b350s board are not recommended & good enough for 1700, so in a way you might want an x370 board atleast. basically you will pay the same. feel free to go with any, both side are good. 

The more I think about it, the more I think an R3 on a decent X370 board will be the better buy.

Upgrade to Zen+, which will close the gap between the 8700K and Ryzen 7 or beat it, and overall spend less money.

Desktop:

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Logitech G903 Mouse

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

1 minute ago, Jon Jon said:

The more I think about it, the more I think an R3 on a decent X370 board will be the better buy.

Upgrade to Zen+, which will close the gap between the 8700K and Ryzen 7, and overall spend less money.

yes if he really into editing then i strongly suggest considering ryzen first. but if its just casual attempts & mostly gaming, I would choose intel for being mature & hassle free platform with better gaming experience.   

1 hour ago, Jon Jon said:

People are pushing Coffee Lake to you, but not really telling you that the 8700K will be the best CPU you'll ever get on the platform.

If you plan to upgrade later, then assume that 8700K performance is the best you'll ever get.

I am curious as if Intel will change this business model, but I wouldn't count on it.

I am curious to see how Zen+ will be, as supposedly AMD's primary focus is to fix the IMC issues along with clockspeed limitations.

You need to remember that the 8700K is beating Ryzen 7 with a 1GHZ clock speed gap. Zen+ CPUs will more than likely close, if not, beat that gap.

Then of course, you need to factor in the 16 PCI-E lane limitation. I don't know what kind of editing you plan to do, how you plan to capture footage, what footage you'll be using (are you doing game related streaming/recording, are you capturing from a camera and doing editing there? These are big questions to answer for yourself).

On AM4, we will get Zen+ and Zen 2, so I would suggest getting a Ryzen 3 and a budget ASRock or ASUS B350 motherboard.

At least you can run a Ryzen 7 on them stock without worrying about VRMs on their B350 boards.

Sorry for the wall of text, but by the time you plan to upgrade, AMD may have CPUs better than the 8700K, supported on the sub $100 motherboard that you buy TODAY.

EDIT: Also, good choice on the Geforce GTX 1050ti. It's a solid card for gaming, the CUDA cores will give you extra oomph in your editing tasks (assuming that you will use the Adobe suite, or most other mainstream / professional class editing software).

If you think Zen + is going to be beating the 8700k in single core performance you're insane. With slower IPC, Zen + would need to hit 5.2ghz. Good luck with that when 4.1 is nearly impossible on today's chips. The gap will probably close. I'm guessing overclocked chips will usually hit 4.3-4.5ghz depending on your chip. However, those clockspeeds are still worse than an 8700k at stock, and 5ghz seems to be really attainable. 

Also if you're buying a sub $100 motherboard with the intention of supporting a Zen 7 series CPU that's going to be overclocked to 5+ghz, you're doing it wrong. That's how you kill motherboards in a year. Even on current Ryzen 7 CPUs at 4ghz, the VRMs reach something stupid like 120 degrees celcius on most B350 boards. Add more power to that, and you're lighting your house on fire. 

Main System: EVGA GTX 1080 SC, i7 8700, 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 3000mhz CL15, Asus Z370 Prime A, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R5, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 500gb Samsung 850 Evo
Secondary System: EVGA GTX 780ti SC, i5 3570k @ 4.5ghz, 16gb DDR3 1600mhz, MSI Z77 G43, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R4, 3TB WD Caviar Blue, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo

1 minute ago, Zeitec said:

If you think Zen + is going to be beating the 8700k in single core performance you're insane. With slower IPC, Zen + would need to hit 5.2ghz. Good luck with that when 4.1 is nearly impossible on today's chips. The gap will probably close. I'm guessing overclocked chips will usually hit 4.3-4.5ghz depending on your chip. However, those clockspeeds are still worse than an 8700k at stock, and 5ghz seems to be really attainable. 

Also if you're buying a sub $100 motherboard with the intention of supporting a Zen 7 series CPU that's going to be overclocked to 5+ghz, you're doing it wrong. That's how you kill motherboards in a year. Even on current Ryzen 7 CPUs at 4ghz, the VRMs reach something stupid like 120 degrees celcius on most B350 boards. Add more power to that, and you're lighting your house on fire. 

I don't anticipate for single core performance tweaks like that for Zen +, just higher clocks and a better IMC.

You have to remember that the 8700K needs to run at 5ghz to outpace R7 at 4ghz, with a much higher power draw and far higher temperatures.

The gap will be closer, with Zen + potentially beating it in multi-threaded workloads, which is really what R7 was doing to Kaby Lake.

Desktop:

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Logitech G903 Mouse

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Just now, Jon Jon said:

I don't anticipate for single core performance tweaks like that for Zen +, just higher clocks and a better IMC.

You have to remember that the 8700K needs to run at 5ghz to outpace R7 at 4ghz, with a much higher power draw and far higher temperatures.

The gap will be closer, with Zen + potentially beating it in multi-threaded workloads, which is really what R7 was doing to Kaby Lake.

It won't beat the 8700k by nearly as much as Zen beat Kaby Lake. It may beat it by 10-20% if it goes up to 4.5ghz. And single core performance will will be 15-20% better on Intel. In that case it just depends on what you're using it for. 

Main System: EVGA GTX 1080 SC, i7 8700, 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 3000mhz CL15, Asus Z370 Prime A, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R5, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 500gb Samsung 850 Evo
Secondary System: EVGA GTX 780ti SC, i5 3570k @ 4.5ghz, 16gb DDR3 1600mhz, MSI Z77 G43, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R4, 3TB WD Caviar Blue, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo

6 minutes ago, Zeitec said:

It won't beat the 8700k by nearly as much as Zen beat Kaby Lake. It may beat it by 10-20% if it goes up to 4.5ghz. And single core performance will will be 15-20% better on Intel. In that case it just depends on what you're using it for. 

That's the goal, really.

a 10-20% in multithread would be great.

Zen 2 should provide the IPC increase, so it'll be a matter of what Intel grants their next generation.

I hope they do something, because IPC increase has been pretty much non-existent since Skylake.

Desktop:

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Logitech G903 Mouse

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

1 minute ago, Jon Jon said:

That's the goal, really.

a 10-20% in multithread would be great.

Zen 2 should provide the IPC increase, so it'll be a matter of what Intel grants their next generation.

I hope they do something, because IPC increase has been pretty much non-existent since Skylake.

Zen 2 is an icelake competitor. Rumour is Icelake is 10nm with 8 core 16 thread i7s. Icelake and Zen 2 will likely trade blows. 

So yes, you may be able to upgrade to Zen 2. However you wouldn't be able to upgrade to Zen 2 on a b350 board because it would blow up your house (not literally) and hell AMD may not even support the X370 chipset with Zen 2. IIRC they've promised to support motherboards in the past then backed out on it. They also said they'll support the AM4 socket, not necessarily the chipset AFAIK. 

I'm not saying that Ryzen is a bad choice. It's a perfectly fine choice, and the upgrade path is likely better. It really depends on what he's doing. If he's mostly gaming and just doing casual hobby editing, then I think the intel is better. If he's doing a lot more editing, and not gaming often, then Ryzen is a better choice. Different strokes for different folks. 

23 minutes ago, Zeitec said:

Zen 2 is an icelake competitor. Rumour is Icelake is 10nm with 8 core 16 thread i7s. Icelake and Zen 2 will likely trade blows. 

So yes, you may be able to upgrade to Zen 2. However you wouldn't be able to upgrade to Zen 2 on a b350 board because it would blow up your house (not literally) and hell AMD may not even support the X370 chipset with Zen 2. IIRC they've promised to support motherboards in the past then backed out on it. They also said they'll support the AM4 socket, not necessarily the chipset AFAIK. 

I'm not saying that Ryzen is a bad choice. It's a perfectly fine choice, and the upgrade path is likely better. It really depends on what he's doing. If he's mostly gaming and just doing casual hobby editing, then I think the intel is better. If he's doing a lot more editing, and not gaming often, then Ryzen is a better choice. Different strokes for different folks. 

It all depends.

my big thing with the debate is that it's not like one is great for games and the other isn't. They both are.

High framerate gamers will need Intel, where the others can save and bank on the future.

Intel is definitely the "best for today" chip if you ignore costs.

I would argue that if he is doing editing more so now, the 8700K is the better choice, especially if editing with the Adobe suite.

Desktop:

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Logitech G903 Mouse

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

On 10/8/2017 at 11:16 AM, Jon Jon said:

Thanks so much! If i save up enough I might also go for a 1060 6GB. I know the Core i3 is not out but when will it come out along with Z370 mobos? I need to build my pc Around this Month or October soon so if they dont come out around those times, i will either get a Ryzen 3 1200 or a Ryzen 5 1600

9 minutes ago, UltimaHeart said:

Thanks so much! If i save up enough I might also go for a 1060 6GB. I know the Core i3 is not out but when will it come out along with Z370 mobos? I need to build my pc Around this Month or October soon so if they dont come out around those times, i will either get a Ryzen 3 1200 or a Ryzen 5 1600

I would push you towards the Ryzen 5, if possible.

Desktop:

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro