Ryzen 5 1600 or 5 1600X?

Hey there, I can either buy a Ryzen 5 1600 or a Ryzen 5 1600X for 20€ more.

I will buy a extra cpu-cooler anways, so the pro for a ryzen 5 1600 (already got a cooler) doesn't matter in this case.

Which mobo with them?

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

11 minutes ago, salatji said:

Hey there, I can either buy a Ryzen 5 1600 or a Ryzen 5 1600X for 20€ more.

I will buy a extra cpu-cooler anways, so the pro for a ryzen 5 1600 (already got a cooler) doesn't matter in this case.

1600x then but not by a huge margin.

subscribe to pewdiepie

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

if you're overclocking you should end up with similar performance (silicon lottery permitting) so you either get the 1600 which comes with a paperweight, or spend 20€ more to have them hold the paperweight. If you aren't overclocking the 1600x will perform better

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

13 minutes ago, dave_k said:

Which mobo with them?

MSI X370 Gaming Plus

10 minutes ago, salatji said:

MSI X370 Gaming Plus

go with the 1600 if you are overclocking and 1600x if you are not

21 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

if you're overclocking you should end up with similar performance (silicon lottery permitting) so you either get the 1600 which comes with a paperweight, or spend 20€ more to have them hold the paperweight. If you aren't overclocking the 1600x will perform better

That paper weight is enough to easily get the 1600 to 3.7ghz. Even a 150$ AIO won't do much better then 4.0 with Ryzen and even 4.0 is lucky. 

1 minute ago, Thinkfreely said:

If you already plan on getting CPU cooler, then the 1600x is fine. Do you plan on doing the X370 to sli? Otherwise not a lot of value in it.

I gotta admit (sounds a bit silly), I wanted to buy it because I like the looks/color combination. When I saw it while browsing through motherboards, I decided that I might put in a minor red-black color theme in my build :D And this is the one I've found so far that has a pretty cool red-black combination.

Before that, I was looking in a tomahawk, but people here told me that it's not that great for a motherboard, so I started to look again.

Just now, salatji said:

I gotta admit (sounds a bit silly), I wanted to buy it because I like the looks/color combination. When I saw it while browsing through motherboards, I decided that I might put in a minor red-black color theme in my build :D And this is the one I've found so far that has a pretty cool red-black combination.

Before that, I was looking in a tomahawk, but people here told me that it's not that great for a motherboard, so I started to look again.

Well aesthetics are the one thing that people can't really argue about cost, because its all about if its worth it to you at that point. But your doing a black and red build then?

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

25 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

the included cooler is actually pretty good. as long as you don't try crazy voltage, it's stable temps. surprisingly quiet as well

1 minute ago, MyName13 said:

Have you considered coffee lake?

Can consider them all day long cause they are sold out everywhere :D. Ryzen performs really well still compared. Coffeelake had a 5% improvement in most situations from Kabylake. And if alot of titles of benchmarks it was only trailing by 10-15 FPS, unless it was a super heavy IPC game.

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

Just now, Thinkfreely said:

Well aesthetics are the one thing that people can't really argue about cost, because its all about if its worth it to you at that point. But your doing a black and red build then?

kinda, I'll take a black case with window (bequiet pure base 600), then the mentioned motherboard. I'll also look for a GTX 1070 that has red in it's "case" and then I probably will either get black ram with red LEDs or if I reached the limit for my budget, I'll simply buy black ram. Also maybe I'll free up a few bucks for a LED-strip and put it somewhere inside the case so there is some red light shining from the rear.

7 minutes ago, jdwii said:

That paper weight is enough to easily get the 1600 to 3.7ghz. Even a 150$ AIO won't do much better then 4.0 with Ryzen and even 4.0 is lucky. 

OP mentioned in their OP that they're getting a different cooler anyway so it doesn't matter how well that paper weight performs at its intended task

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

4 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

Have you considered coffee lake?

I have considered coffee lake, that's why I did wait for 4 weeks with a broken laptop that's barely working before ordering (what I had initially planned) a intel coffee lake build. Then it got released with almost 0 CPUs aviable and every vendor I asked told me that "they have no idea when they finally will be able to sell them". This and the fact that I won't be able to reuse the Z370 if I would buy the next CPUs from intel kinda sold the deal for me.

If I would have gotten my hands on a 8600k, I would totally have bought one, however this entire "release" of coffee lake made me pretty mad...

With the Ryzen 5 1600(x) I'll get a reasonable priced and decent CPU and later I can possibly upgrade it to the ryzen 2s if I want to.

7 minutes ago, Thinkfreely said:

Can consider them all day long cause they are sold out everywhere :D. Ryzen performs really well still compared. Coffeelake had a 5% improvement in most situations from Kabylake. And if alot of titles of benchmarks it was only trailing by 10-15 FPS, unless it was a super heavy IPC game.

Nope, i5 8400 seems to perform over 30% better (sometimes around 50%) than 1600 according to pcgamer.

Just now, MyName13 said:

Nope, i5 8400 seems to perform over 30% better (sometimes around 50%) than 1600 according to pcgamer.

Oh totally, was talking about 1700 + range.

24 minutes ago, Thinkfreely said:

I mean the aesthetics would be secondary to me, however if I'll get exactly this motherboard, I'll also try to fit the red-black theme (I mentioned the plan I have for this motherboard in a earlier post already).

However I am unsure if there are better and more efficient alternatives out there, I mean I am basically just browsing through a list of motherboards and do not really know what I really should get in the end (since I barely recognize differences of each board compared to other boards) :P I also saw a Asus ROG one for a similar price (B350 for 110) and all I can remember is that my buddy who suggested me a Intel build with a 6700k also suggested me a Asus ROG because it's very high quality according to him. So yeah, dunno what exact build it will be when I finally order my PC :D