An update on the Noctua Redux fans with spacers. (If you plan on buying a Noctua Redux fan, please read this first)

Skanky Sylveon

A while back, I created a thread regarding the fact that Noctua has updated their Redux fans frames, to allow compatibility with their Chromax rubber spacers.

Due to the fan's cables getting chewed up by my friendly neighborhood mouse under the house, I had to order more.

One of the fans in the order (I ordered three) was the old model, I also ordered a 120mm Redux fan which was the old model as well.

The old models don't have the appropriate holes for mounting the rubber spacers.  Which was something that I didn't even know.

So clearly, there was some old models still floating around, and perhaps not all of the Redux lineup will get the new frame treatment.

So I decided to ask Noctua themselves.

I sent Noctua cooling solutions a message through Amazon, here is the response.

Dear customer,

thank you very much for contacting us.

All our redux S12B and P14s fans will get the new frame design. When the old version run out of stock, the new ones will be rolled out. But unfortunately I can't give you an exact date when these new versions will be available at Amazon.

Not the most informative answer, but now we know that the 120mm Redux fans will have the new frames as well, and that your chances of getting a Redux fan with the new frame will increase over time.

While one could assume that the above answer means that only the 140mm and 120mm Redux fans will get the new frame, I decided to make sure.  After all, it never hurts to ask.

This is the response that I got.

Hi,

only the P14S and S12B ones will get the new frame.

A little disappointing, but not terribly surprising.  140mm and 120mm are by far the most common PC fan sizes.

I have purchased a total of 7 140mm 1500RPM PWM Redux fans, out of those seven, only one came with the old frame, and that was when they had only two fans in stock.

I would say that those are pretty good odds, if you're not the gambling type though, just wait a couple of months, you're odds should significantly increase.

As far as the 120mm Redux fans are concerned, i'm not even sure if the new design is even out yet.  My first (and at the moment, only) purchase had the old frame, and i'm not willing to purchase more just to find out.

Also, please be aware that different RPM variants may have different odds.  The more popular the variant is, the quicker the old models will be sold.

In time, all 140mm and 120mm Redux fans will have the new frame, and thus be Chromax rubber spacer compatible, until then, cross your fingers.  :P

Edit:  It seems like the 120mm fans with the new frame is starting to come out as well.

I received some new information (Reddit interestingly) and have updated the original post.