Finally pulling the trigger on a Ryzen build

tgrachan

So like the title says I am finally pulling the trigger on a Ryzen system. I have toyed with the idea of doing it but I've decided I'm buying all the parts for it within the next week (unless someone knows of a good reason I should wait). I posted before about a possible build but I've done more research and I've changed around somethings that I think would make the system overall work better for me. I am in the US and I'm trying to get all of the parts from either Newegg or Amazon to consolidate orders. I know that might add a little bit of extra cost but I would gladly pay that for less headaches as well as taking advantage of Amazon prime. The main goal of the system is to upgrade from my current setup with respect to video editing and gaming. I don't game very much and on my AMD  6300 with a GTX 1050Ti I was able to get pretty much all that I wanted out of the games that I play. The main reason for the upgrade is in the video editing. I'm also trying to keep the system open to future upgrading down the road so I don't have to completely overhaul like I am doing now. I will be running 2 24" 1080p monitors (considering a switch to an ultrawide 4k but can't justify it yet) already have all of the other peripherals that I need with the exception of Windows for the new build. Below is the link to the build that I have put together so far and I would love to hear some input on it if you have any. Thanks.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VYHx8K

2 minutes ago, tgrachan said:

So like the title says I am finally pulling the trigger on a Ryzen system. I have toyed with the idea of doing it but I've decided I'm buying all the parts for it within the next week (unless someone knows of a good reason I should wait). I posted before about a possible build but I've done more research and I've changed around somethings that I think would make the system overall work better for me. I am in the US and I'm trying to get all of the parts from either Newegg or Amazon to consolidate orders. I know that might add a little bit of extra cost but I would gladly pay that for less headaches as well as taking advantage of Amazon prime. The main goal of the system is to upgrade from my current setup with respect to video editing and gaming. I don't game very much and on my AMD  6300 with a GTX 1050Ti I was able to get pretty much all that I wanted out of the games that I play. The main reason for the upgrade is in the video editing. I'm also trying to keep the system open to future upgrading down the road so I don't have to completely overhaul like I am doing now. I will be running 2 24" 1080p monitors (considering a switch to an ultrawide 4k but can't justify it yet) already have all of the other peripherals that I need with the exception of Windows for the new build. Below is the link to the build that I have put together so far and I would love to hear some input on it if you have any. Thanks.

I know a good system for you lemme make it :) 

CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K | Ram: 16GB Corsair LPX 3000 DDR4 | Asus Maximus XI Hero Z390 | GPU: EVGA RTX2080 XC | 960 EVO Samsung 500GB M.2 | 850 EVO Samsung 250GB M.2 | Samsung 1TB QVO SSD | 1TB HDD WD Blue 

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 2 in 1 9370 | I7 1065G7 | 32GB DDR4 | 1TB SSD |

Do you need wifi or sli? (Note a 1060 cant SLI)

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

Don't get an X62 now, get a GTX 1070 instead and use the stock cooler and get a better cooler later.

That HDD is expensive as HELL, get a 2TB Seagate and a 240+GB SSD from Adata, SK Hynix, Samsung, or PNY.

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

7 minutes ago, tgrachan said:

I don't game very much and on my AMD  6300 with a GTX 1050Ti I was able to get pretty much all that I wanted out of the games that I play.

Save money and keep the 1050Ti - it should serve you well until the next 1-2 generations.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

8 minutes ago, tgrachan said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qnt6Gf This should be a good deal. 

CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K | Ram: 16GB Corsair LPX 3000 DDR4 | Asus Maximus XI Hero Z390 | GPU: EVGA RTX2080 XC | 960 EVO Samsung 500GB M.2 | 850 EVO Samsung 250GB M.2 | Samsung 1TB QVO SSD | 1TB HDD WD Blue 

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 2 in 1 9370 | I7 1065G7 | 32GB DDR4 | 1TB SSD |

Don't get the X62 for Ryzen 5. You could get a Dark Rock 3 and a 1700 instead for the same price. Get a 250GB SSD. The cost difference isn't bit. Like $80 for the SL308 or MX300.

You can grab a Windows key for like $30 from Reddit or Kinguin

:)

I had been debating about whether or not to get the X62 and honestly that was in there mostly because I like the look of it. I'll probably hold off on it though. I have looked at the Dark Rock 3 and it says that the height is 160mm and the case can only support 161mm. Would that be cutting it too close? The I have considered a 1070 and I guess if I eliminate the X62 then I could put the extra money towards that just so I have room to go SLI if I wanted to down the road. Probably wouldn't make the most sense for what I'm doing but it would be good to keep that option open. Probably could go cheaper on the storage. I'm trying to find something for the SSD that would still look good in the S340 Elite's front tray. That was the main reason I was thinking that one as opposed to a cheaper one. As for the mass storage, as long as I have at least 2TB and it will work I don't really care about it. 

I have read about using kinguin before but I wasn't sure what the deal was with it. I've heard some people say they only use that and some people say to never ever use it. not sure who to trust on that one.

Thanks for the input. I really like the suggestions. Hopefully I can refine my build and get the parts ordered this week and have it up and running quickly.

I was also toying with the idea of going with a 128GB M.2 on the system as well. Any thoughts?

Get a larger/better SSD. Drop the cooler and run stock for now. Do NOT spend that much for your OS. You can easily get a cheaper PSU, cheaper RAM, and even a cheaper mobo.

Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7GHz | Asus Maximus VII Hero | NZXT Kraken X61 | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro(Red) @ 1866MHz | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | 250GB Samsung 850-EVO | 2- way SLI Asus Strix GTX 970's @ 1500MHz | EVGA 750W G2 | NZXT H440(black/red) | 3x120mm Sharkoon Shark Blade fans(red) | 3x140mm Be Quiet! Pure Wings 2 fans |

1 minute ago, Sanctorum said:

Get a larger/better SSD. Drop the cooler and run stock for now. Do NOT spend that much for your OS. You can easily get a cheaper PSU, cheaper RAM, and even a cheaper mobo.

I have reconciled myself that if the only reason I have for putting it in the build is that it looks cool I probably shouldn't be putting it in the build so I'm ditching the cooler and running stock for now. I could definitely go cheaper on the PSU but I want to make sure I have the headroom for future upgrades if needed as well as getting something that is going to work well for me. For the RAM that was basically the cheapest 16GB 3000 kit available. From what I have read, Ryzen runs a little better on slightly faster memory (if I'm wrong please correct me) and I am using all 16GB of DDR3 that I have in my current build so I know I will need it. As for the mobo, I know I could go with a B350 but I honestly just like the X370 setup, and it doesn't hurt that this mobo is black and white which is what I'm going for with the build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($194.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus - STRIX B350-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($105.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($149.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial - MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($147.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($66.88 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Dual Video Card  ($279.99 @ B&H) 
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: BitFenix - Whisper M 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.59 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1115.29

$200 cheaper with the same performance but a significantly better and larger SSD, as well as a better case. You could get 3000/3200MHz 16GB RAM for $120-130 a few days ago but it seems to have risen to $150 minimum. You don't need 650W for "headroom", even a good quality 450W PSU will support pretty much any upgrade you want, outside of HEDT CPUs and multi GPU set-ups. 650W is enough for SLI GTX 1080s. That said, the Bitfenix Whisper 650W is priced pretty damn well(only like $2 more than the 550W version) so thats what I'd get. Strix motherboard has a better UEFI than the AsRock mobo and all the features youd require I imagine so Id just get that and save $25. Nicer too IMO.

With the money I've managed to save, even after you add $30 for OS and $25 if you get the Asrock board, then you still have about $150 to play with which could go towards swapping the 1060 for a GTX 1070, or getting that Kraken AIO you want. Though I'd just run stock cooler for now, spend your money elsewhere and upgrade cooler for aesthetics later, when you have more money. Same with case fans, cable extensions, etc, spend your money on system first and then add those later as small upgrades.

Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7GHz | Asus Maximus VII Hero | NZXT Kraken X61 | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro(Red) @ 1866MHz | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | 250GB Samsung 850-EVO | 2- way SLI Asus Strix GTX 970's @ 1500MHz | EVGA 750W G2 | NZXT H440(black/red) | 3x120mm Sharkoon Shark Blade fans(red) | 3x140mm Be Quiet! Pure Wings 2 fans |

31 minutes ago, Sanctorum said:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($194.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus - STRIX B350-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($105.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($149.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial - MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($147.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($66.88 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Dual Video Card  ($279.99 @ B&H) 
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: BitFenix - Whisper M 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.59 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1115.29

$200 cheaper with the same performance but a significantly better and larger SSD, as well as a better case. You could get 3000/3200MHz 16GB RAM for $120-130 a few days ago but it seems to have risen to $150 minimum. You don't need 650W for "headroom", even a good quality 450W PSU will support pretty much any upgrade you want, outside of HEDT CPUs and multi GPU set-ups. 650W is enough for SLI GTX 1080s. That said, the Bitfenix Whisper 650W is priced pretty damn well(only like $2 more than the 550W version) so thats what I'd get. Strix motherboard has a better UEFI than the AsRock mobo and all the features youd require I imagine so Id just get that and save $25. Nicer too IMO.

With the money I've managed to save, even after you add $30 for OS and $25 if you get the Asrock board, then you still have about $150 to play with which could go towards swapping the 1060 for a GTX 1070, or getting that Kraken AIO you want. Though I'd just run stock cooler for now, spend your money elsewhere and upgrade cooler for aesthetics later, when you have more money. Same with case fans, cable extensions, etc, spend your money on system first and then add those later as small upgrades.

I like the switch to the Seagate Barracuda. I have a couple of other seagate drives and they have served me well and its a great price. Throughout the planning of this build I have gone back and forth between the Strix B350 and the ASRock X370 many times. In the end I feel like I would be more than satisfied with either one. I was thinking of dropping the X62 cooler and using that extra room in the budget for upgrading to the 1070. I would like to keep it open to upgrading to SLI Later down the road. I may never do it but it would be nice to have the room to do so. I had looked at the meshify C case but I just didn't like it as much. The case was the one thing that I spent the most time on and I'm still not 100% on it but I swear it feels like I have looked at every case that has ever been made. Everything from custom building my own small form factor all the way to a 900D (that's probably a little too big for just about anyone) I might take another look around at the case though.

As far as the SSD goes. Quite a few people have suggested the upgrade to a higher capacity SSD. Currently I have a 128GB that is not even half full. I really only use the SSD for the OS and a few random little things. The vast majority of my time spent on my pc is doing photo editing and I tend to put that onto my larger drive and mirror it onto an external just to have it backed up so the SSD really doesn't come into play much at all. I might look into expanding it and using it more in my new system though.

Thanks everyone for your tips with this so far and as always thanks for the quick replies

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2wbvBP

Heres what I would go with. You could also consider a 500GB Samsung SSD and adding a HDD in the future. You can grab a Windows key from Reddit for 40$ aswell which saves some money. A 1700 wouldn't be a bad option either, if those extra cores will be a big + in your daily tasks I would definitely upgrade.

8 minutes ago, Slaxc said:

Overpriced GPU & HDD, downgraded mobo, overkill memory, relatively expensive SSD.

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4y2Rr7

After doing a little more looking and listening to what some of you have said I'm leaning towards this setup. Still looking at whether or not to go with a larger SSD in the build. I want to keep it open to expansion so the 1070 and 650W power supply will allow me to go for SLI in the future if I decide to do so. I also know I could go cheaper on the 1070 but I don't want to get a mini card and I'm not too crazy about the blower style of cooler so I figured if I was already pretty close to spending the same amount I might as well get one that will match. I scrapped the AIO cooler in favor of a cheaper air cooler and figured that I could wait on going liquid cooled for now and maybe one day go for a custom cooling setup. I'm also going to do some more research on getting windows for cheaper as well. I just don't have any experience with it.

Thanks again for the feedback from everyone on the build. I'm still undecided on a couple of components but I should be ordering all of it tomorrow or over the weekend.

11 hours ago, tgrachan said:

I like the switch to the Seagate Barracuda. I have a couple of other seagate drives and they have served me well and its a great price. Throughout the planning of this build I have gone back and forth between the Strix B350 and the ASRock X370 many times. In the end I feel like I would be more than satisfied with either one. I was thinking of dropping the X62 cooler and using that extra room in the budget for upgrading to the 1070. I would like to keep it open to upgrading to SLI Later down the road. I may never do it but it would be nice to have the room to do so. I had looked at the meshify C case but I just didn't like it as much. The case was the one thing that I spent the most time on and I'm still not 100% on it but I swear it feels like I have looked at every case that has ever been made. Everything from custom building my own small form factor all the way to a 900D (that's probably a little too big for just about anyone) I might take another look around at the case though.

As far as the SSD goes. Quite a few people have suggested the upgrade to a higher capacity SSD. Currently I have a 128GB that is not even half full. I really only use the SSD for the OS and a few random little things. The vast majority of my time spent on my pc is doing photo editing and I tend to put that onto my larger drive and mirror it onto an external just to have it backed up so the SSD really doesn't come into play much at all. I might look into expanding it and using it more in my new system though.

Thanks everyone for your tips with this so far and as always thanks for the quick replies

I wouldn't get the S340. Build quality is sub par compared to similarly priced cases, and fan/rad support in the S340 is shit. Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG, Eclipse P400(S) TG, Fractal Meshify C, or Define C TG are the cases I'd be looking at for $90. If you want SLI support, you NEED to get the Asrock motherboard. B350 motherboards do not support SLI. Just because you have an SSD now and don't use it much, does not mean you should buy a low capacity, shitty SSD for a $1300 system. A good 250GB SSD at minimum, but 500(ish)GB is the sweet spot.

2 hours ago, tgrachan said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4y2Rr7

After doing a little more looking and listening to what some of you have said I'm leaning towards this setup. Still looking at whether or not to go with a larger SSD in the build. I want to keep it open to expansion so the 1070 and 650W power supply will allow me to go for SLI in the future if I decide to do so. I also know I could go cheaper on the 1070 but I don't want to get a mini card and I'm not too crazy about the blower style of cooler so I figured if I was already pretty close to spending the same amount I might as well get one that will match. I scrapped the AIO cooler in favor of a cheaper air cooler and figured that I could wait on going liquid cooled for now and maybe one day go for a custom cooling setup. I'm also going to do some more research on getting windows for cheaper as well. I just don't have any experience with it.

Thanks again for the feedback from everyone on the build. I'm still undecided on a couple of components but I should be ordering all of it tomorrow or over the weekend.

Again, shit SSD, drop that shitty cooler so hard. Run stock cooler, do NOT buy a 212 EVO.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($194.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock - X370 KILLER SLI/ac ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($130.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($98.94 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card  ($414.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass ATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1226.23

1 hour ago, Sanctorum said:

I had a complete brain fart with that mobo swap. Support for SLI was the entire reason that I switched over to the X370 in the first place and I couldn't even remember why (I need to start writing things down)

Way too many people have told me to get the 850 evo for me not to listen so I'm swapping that out as well.

In looking at a lot more reviews of cases I can see where you're coming from with the S340 Elite. I'm still not 100% sold on it but I'm thinking that the meshify C would be a decent route (among many others)

With the case switched out that gives me more room for a CPU cooler and I can throw in the best air cooler on the market now with the NH-D15. Looks aren't as great but at least it will be a great cooler that will last.

Below is the list that I currently have and am planning to order tomorrow. Any last minute tips from anyone?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2h9JJV

Just placed the orders for all of the parts. I might start a build log thread when I get everything in and get it set up. Thank you to everyone for your help with this.

1 hour ago, tgrachan said:

Just placed the orders for all of the parts. I might start a build log thread when I get everything in and get it set up. Thank you to everyone for your help with this.

tag me in it if you do so i can follow it ^_^

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

OTHER TECH I OWN: