Protecting HDD

briancheng1998
Go to solution Solved by SSL,

Looks like you want to set permissions for your OS drive; I don't think password protection or encryption will do what you need.

Keep in mind that many programs may need to store settings, registry entries, etc, on the system drive; as such, preventing all access could prevent some software from working correctly.

You should be able to install most programs in a custom location (separate drive). Just don't expect the boot drive to go completely unmodified.

Hi, 

I have this SSD bootdrive, and I wish to have it password locked to avoid someone or some program to write it cause it's 64GB and I just want it to run the windows. Is there any way to have it locked with a password?

Bryan.

Go into your BIOS and find anything that relates to Hard DrIve protection.

Yeezus was the best album of all time

You always have the built-in option of BitLocker Encryption that comes with some version of Windows. But I do not recommend to lock your windows drive, since many softwares needs to read or drive to it, such temporary files, programs configurations and so on.

AMD Phenom II x6 1055T @ 3.8 GHz | Gigabyte 870A-USB3 | Kingston ValueRAM 2x2GB 1333 MHz | ASUS nVidia ENGTX460 1 GB | Corsair H60 

Cooler Master HAF 912 Advanced Edition | Toshiba 1 TB HDD | Logitech G300 | Cheapo Keyboard | Genius GX Gaming Lychas | SteelSeries Qck Mass Le White

If you have Windows 8 Pro or Windows 7 Ultimate, you may use BitLocker.

However, for your case, I'd just avoid using your SSD for anything except for booting off of anyway. I don't know of any way of changing the directory for default programs, however, a trip to control panel won't do any harm :)

Compatible with Windows 95

Looks like you want to set permissions for your OS drive; I don't think password protection or encryption will do what you need.

Keep in mind that many programs may need to store settings, registry entries, etc, on the system drive; as such, preventing all access could prevent some software from working correctly.

You should be able to install most programs in a custom location (separate drive). Just don't expect the boot drive to go completely unmodified.