CPU Cooler Won't Mount in custom case! Help!

Go to solution Solved by Valkyrie Lenneth,
2 minutes ago, MaseeTheWolf said:

Yeah But will it mount into this?

IMG_20171001_025449_hdr.jpg

all socket 775 compatible coolers will work on that

Help! I tried moving an old system into a separate case but the CPU cooler is custom fitted to the case and mobo! So when I went to mount the mobo in a custom case the CPU cooler wouldn't stay still because of no mounting holes! HELP!!!

Why Are We Still Here? Just to Suffer?

Buy a new cooler? What CPU is it? You could probably buy some nuts that have the same threading; just don't over tighten them.

It is some really old AMD CPU, and I was thinking would no CPU cooler be an option? Edit : THE CPU WAS ACTUALLY Intel '05 E6550 

It is some really old AMD CPU, and I was thinking would no CPU cooler be an option? 

unless it's a 286 equivalent, then you need a cooler.. 
can you use zip ties or string to fasten and secure the heatsink? it's far from an ideal solution, but i'm guessing this isn't your daily driver so it should be fine.. 

if you do use this daily, i would rather save up money for an upgrade instead of macguyvering something just to have a different case..

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8GHZ
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
Graphics Card: Inno3D ICHILL GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI X3 ULTRA
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2x8GB @ 3GHZ
Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W 
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)
Cooling: Kraken X62 for CPU, Corsair H55 with NZXT Kraken G12 for GPU 

4 minutes ago, MaseeTheWolf said:

It is some really old AMD CPU, and I was thinking would no CPU cooler be an option? 

no absolutely not you need a CPU cooler or else your CPU will die.

once I tried to boot an i3 4160 with the intel stock cooler, but with no thermal paste.

it immediately spiked up to 100c and throttled into oblivion while at idle.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

no absolutely not you need a CPU cooler or else your CPU will die.

once I tried to boot an i3 4160 with the intel stock cooler, but with no thermal paste.

it immediately spiked up to 100c and throttled into oblivion while at idle.

That's Why I came here first, so I didn't lose a perfectly good computer (Even though it was a trash pick)

what socket does it use? And without a cooler depending on how old the cpu is it will either just turn off because its over heating or it will fry the cpu, but it as to be over like 15 years old to fry itself. you can try zip ties.

2 minutes ago, Changis said:

unless it's a 286 equivalent, then you need a cooler.. 
can you use zip ties or string to fasten and secure the heatsink? it's far from an ideal solution, but i'm guessing this isn't your daily driver so it should be fine.. 

if you do use this daily, i would rather save up money for an upgrade instead of macguyvering something just to have a different case..

Maybe, There just aren't many places I could fasten the zip ties to.

2 minutes ago, Changis said:

This is probably your best solution, unless you want to really use this system a lot, in which case you can just check the socket, and buy a compatible cooler

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

1 minute ago, Clear17Mud said:

what socket does it use? And without a cooler depending on how old the cpu is it will either just turn off because its over heating or it will fry the cpu, but it as to be over like 15 years old to fry itself. you can try zip ties.

Not sure exactly what kind it is but I know it's some dual-core AMD processor from around 2007...

1 minute ago, Clear17Mud said:

but it as to be over like 15 years old to fry itself.

No, if you take a modern CPU with no cooler, it might be smart enough to shut itself down before dying, but there's a very real chance that it will die forever.

Desktop:

Laptop:

Just now, MaseeTheWolf said:

Not sure exactly what kind it is but I know it's some dual-core AMD processor from around 2007...

Can you identify any writing around the socket that might say something about the socket (AM2 maybe?)

Desktop:

Laptop:

I tried taping it down but that failed to secure it down tightly.

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

Can you identify any writing around the socket that might say something about the socket (AM2 maybe?)

I could try but I can't risk cleaning off the thermal compound since I don't have any extra on hand at the moment.

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

No, if you take a modern CPU with no cooler, it might be smart enough to shut itself down before dying, but there's a very real chance that it will die forever.

modern CPUs downclock themselves with no coolers to avoid overheating.. if it has that technology you *could* run a cpu without a heatsink, but seing as it will probably only run at 10% or less of its full power, why would you?

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)

1 minute ago, MaseeTheWolf said:

Atholon 64 x2 most likely so AM2, so basically all coolers that work with AMD should work with it. except the kind that use the stock mounting hardware.

I tried taping it down but that failed to secure it down tightly.

don't use tape.. the glue can dry up or just not be good enough and slowly release itself over time..

I could try but I can't risk cleaning off the thermal compound since I don't have any extra on hand at the moment.

does the motherboard have any writing on it? do you know the brand and model number of the original computer?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Changis said:

modern CPUs downclock themselves with no coolers to avoid overheating.. if it has that technology you *could* run a cpu without a heatsink, but seing as it will probably only run at 10% or less of its full power, why would you?

Well, once I get the system up and running properly, I am gonna try to test and experiment with Hackintosh (Wheezes on the inside) *Just For Testing And Pure Morbid Curiosity* 

1 minute ago, Changis said:

don't use tape.. the glue can dry up or just not be good enough and slowly release itself over time..

does the motherboard have any writing on it? do you know the brand and model number of the original computer?

It USED to be an old HP Prebuilt (With The Ugliest case in absolute existence) But I scratched off a bit of thermal compound (Just enough to read a bit of text) anf found out that the CPU was actually and INTEL CPU! I thought it was AMD but the CPU Reads: Intel '05 E6550 

4 minutes ago, MaseeTheWolf said:

It USED to be an old HP Prebuilt (With The Ugliest case in absolute existence) But I scratched off a bit of thermal compound (Just enough to read a bit of text) anf found out that the CPU was actually and INTEL CPU! I thought it was AMD but the CPU Reads: Intel '05 E6550 

Well you could buy a socket 775 cooler for it.

Something like this could work.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CSJNCYW/?tag=pcpapi-20

Just now, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

all socket 775 compatible coolers will work on that

Thanks! Where do you think i could swipe one for cheap or free though? I'm curious to hear cause I always like to know where to get free old tech.

Thanks! Where do you think i could swipe one for cheap or free though? I'm curious to hear cause I always like to know where to get free old tech.

try ur local pc store that has pc repair, they usually got a few old cases lyin around, or som1 who has alot of trashcases xD

loads of local pc repair stores can keep the old systems of the customers and have alot of old parts lyin around like the socket 775 for example < those actually extremely common because core 2 duo was life before

(◑‿◐)