Best router sub $125

Advic3

Hi all..

Need a new router as it's throttling my speeds. When connected straight to modem ( brand new bought today ) i get 180Mbps. When connected to router (hard wired) it's around 60. so the router is the problem.

currently looking at this one and seems the best... https://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-ac1750-dual-band-wi-fi-router-black/9054017.p?skuId=9054017

CPU : i7 4790K // GPU: MSI 980Ti 6G // CPU Cooler: LEPA AquaChanger 240 // MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI // RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury @ 1866 //    Case & PSU // Fractal Define S & EVGA 750W

you could by something like a dell optiplex off ebay for about $100 and then my a NIC to put in it, and load pfsense on it then you would have a relay overkill router, if you already have an existing router you can use it as an AP by disabling DHCP on it

Just now, jnic said:

you could by something like a dell optiplex off ebay for about $100 and then my a NIC to put in it, then you would have a relay overkill router, if you already have an existing router you can use it as an AP by disabling DHCP on it

Eh... too much work. Just wanna buy one, plug it in, and have it work. 

CPU : i7 4790K // GPU: MSI 980Ti 6G // CPU Cooler: LEPA AquaChanger 240 // MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI // RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury @ 1866 //    Case & PSU // Fractal Define S & EVGA 750W

11 hours ago, Advic3 said:

Hi all..

Need a new router as it's throttling my speeds. When connected straight to modem ( brand new bought today ) i get 180Mbps. When connected to router (hard wired) it's around 60. so the router is the problem.

currently looking at this one and seems the best... https://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-ac1750-dual-band-wi-fi-router-black/9054017.p?skuId=9054017

I can highly recommend the TP-Link Archer C7 and the C9 - both are excellent routers and have pretty good range and speed. The C9 has a few extra features and a higher AC spec, but not all of the features are important to everyone. Both can be had in the ~$100 range, give or take. The C7 is available on Best Buy for $90, and the C9 (AC1900) is available on Amazon for $110.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tp-link-archer-c7-ac1750-wireless-ac-dual-band-router-black/5889900.p?skuId=5889900

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AC1900-Wireless-Archer-C9/dp/B00PDLRHFW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506786684&sr=8-1&keywords=tp-link+archer+c9

I have the C9, and my fiancee's mother is using the C7 - I installed and configured both and they've been in use for some time now. Both are rock solid stable.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

do you actually want to use it as a router or are you mostly interested in the wireless access point features?
Do you require stuff like QoS etc?

On 9/29/2017 at 11:59 PM, Advic3 said:

Need a new router

Router or wireless access point/router?  If you need wifi without any special configuration needs then I can agree with this guy on the C9:  

On 9/30/2017 at 11:54 AM, dalekphalm said:

TP-Link Archer C7 and the C9

It is an easy setup and provides good speed and reliability, especially for the price. However, it does lack some advanced configuration features that most people won't know how to use anyway, but it was an issue for me.  It also has a pretty bad parental control implementation if that is relevant to you.

I would recommend separating your router from WAP. This will let you upgrade your WAP as needed when new standards come out, and will give you better performance.

For instance an ERLite-3 can process 1mpps which is just about good enough for hitting gigabit internet speeds. They go for about $90 bucks.

For wireless pick whatever AP you want, for example Ubiquiti has very good prices on AC WAPs.

This works out to be more expensive, but a good discreet WAP installed in the middle of your house will give you better performance then a combo router placed at the edge of your house.