SSD Firmware update questions

WAR Corporation
Go to solution Solved by Mira Yurizaki,
1 minute ago, WAR Corporation said:

Hello,

I have a few questions regarding SSD firmware updates.

1 - Is an SSD Firmware update really important?

It could potentially fix issues found in firmware, but confirm with the manufacturer's release notes. If it's a generic "performance improvements" or something that doesn't specifically address a problem, like "fixed a bug that causes data corruption in some cases", I wouldn't really bother with it.

2 - I'm buying an SSD for my files but more importantly it'll be my boot drive. I do not have a secundary hard drive, so updating the SSD firmware will erase everything? And if it does, how am I supposed to update its firmware if I'm running Windows 10 on that SSD? Also, how do I know if it'll delete everything or not? Does it say when you're updating the firmware?

Updating firmware normally won't erase the SSD, but there still a chance of data loss. For updating the firmware itself, check with the manufacturer if they have a tool. Samsung's SSDs are updated through their Magician software.

3 - Does an SSD Firmware update make my ssd last longer/have better performance?

Not really.

4 - What if I end up with a dead SSD once I update its firmware? You know... bugs...

Speak with the manufacturer to see if you can recover it or if they'll send you a replacement.

5 - How much time does it normally take?

I don't know, but I imagine it shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes.

Bottom line: Unless you know you have a problem with your SSD, don't update the firmware.

Hello,

2 - I'm buying an SSD for my files but more importantly it'll be my boot drive. I do not have a secundary hard drive, so updating the SSD firmware will erase everything? And if it does, how am I supposed to update its firmware if I'm running Windows 10 on that SSD? Also, how do I know if it'll delete everything or not? Does it say when you're updating the firmware?

3 - Does an SSD Firmware update make my ssd last longer/have better performance?

4 - What if I end up with a dead SSD once I update its firmware? You know... bugs...

In this case, I'll be using the Samsung 850 EVO (most probably).

I wouldn't mind if I don't have the latest firmware update, as long as it doesn't die on me because of it.

Thanks!

PSU Tier List: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/

CPU Celeron n2830 - GPU Integrated - RAM 1x4GB DDR3 1333MHz - Storage 750 GB 5400RPM HDD

Operating System Windows 10 Home

There's really no reason to update the firmware unless you're having issues with it that can only be solved with a firmware update.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Hello,

It could potentially fix issues found in firmware, but confirm with the manufacturer's release notes. If it's a generic "performance improvements" or something that doesn't specifically address a problem, like "fixed a bug that causes data corruption in some cases", I wouldn't really bother with it.

Updating firmware normally won't erase the SSD, but there still a chance of data loss. For updating the firmware itself, check with the manufacturer if they have a tool. Samsung's SSDs are updated through their Magician software.

Not really.

Speak with the manufacturer to see if you can recover it or if they'll send you a replacement.

I don't know, but I imagine it shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes.

Bottom line: Unless you know you have a problem with your SSD, don't update the firmware.

@RKRiley @M.Yurizaki Thanks guys! I recently had an SSD which died, that's why I'm so paranoid with updating the firmware, ssd types (tlc, mlc... etc)... I think I was just unlucky:P

PSU Tier List: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/

CPU Celeron n2830 - GPU Integrated - RAM 1x4GB DDR3 1333MHz - Storage 750 GB 5400RPM HDD

Operating System Windows 10 Home