Acceptable budget gaming rig?

Gerr

Does this hardware match up well for a budget gaming build...

i3-4170 (3.7Ghz)

H97 mobo

8GB RAM (DDR3-1600 CL9)

128GB SSD(OS) & 500GB 7200RPM HDD(games)

MSI GTX 950 Gaming 2G

EVGA 500W Bronze PSU

22" 1680x1050 60Hz monitor

I have all these parts left over from previous builds, planning on putting them together for a build, but wondering if they match up well or if I should upgrade a certain part.

Yeah looks alright

Are you planning on getting something better in the future, if so save up for a whole build and use this till then

I didn't know what to put here...

Yes you could get some decent gaming out of a rig like that. Its not going to be running GTA V maxed out or anything like that, but if you go into it with reasonable expectations you should be happy with the results.

Yeah, looks good for medium-high settings.

CPU: i7 3770K | MB: EVGA Z77 FTW | RAM: HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB | GPU: R9 280X Toxic | Cooler: Scythe Fuma | PSU: CoolerMaster B600

SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB

As all have said, it looks good. For more of an upgrade path you could for a G4560 & a B250 (or H110) mobo for ~$100, so you could buy a newer kaby/skylake cpu down the line. performance wise it would be a little better probably but mostly irrelevant - so the i3 is just as good a choice

Going to a new platform is more expensive than you think.  Not only would I have to buy a new CPU & motherboard, but also DDR4 RAM and a new Win 10 license.  I would be hard pressed to keep that under $200, and would likely be closer to $300.  For $300, I could get a cheap 1080P gaming monitor as well as a GTX 1060 3g and even with my existing i3, my FPS increase would be much higher than if I did a CPI/mobo/RAM change.

Remember that this isn't my primary gaming rig, and not even my 2nd one.  This is an older one I keep at my parents house that I visit about once a week and let the kids game in it for a hour or two.  I don't see the justification in spending any more money for 1-2 hours a week.