Pc Build With ryzen or Coffelake

Anand K N

I would like to know if ryzen 3 1200 or 1300x would be a better choice over coffelake  i3 8100.And if i choose the i3 then would i have to purchase a high cost motherboard??

Not sure yet, since Coffee lake isn't released for another week. I would wait for a couple weeks for the reviews to pour in, especially from LTT and gamers nexus, and go with their recommendations.

4 hours ago, cbc02009 said:

Not sure yet, since Coffee lake isn't released for another week. I would wait for a couple weeks for the reviews to pour in, especially from LTT and gamers nexus, and go with their recommendations.

ok

How long are you looking to keep that CPU? If you want future compatibility of your board, Ryzen is the way to go. Intel in all likelihood would want to get a new board with every generation as things are right now. However if you are ok with getting a new board with your next upgrade, wait for the Coffee Lake reviews and then decide.

The thing about AMD vs Intel these days is, that everyone seems kinda biased and sentimental. Weird...

I'd say go buy what ever offers you most performance for the max amount of money you're comfortable spending. Since Intel is way ahead of AMD in terms of ipc performance, the only advantage AMD has to offer atm is a lot of cores for cheap, which only indirectly benefits gamers. Not to say that Ryzen would be the inferior choice at this point in time. But Intel seems to catch up on core count with coffee lake, so theres that advantage gone for AMD, given that Intel charges competetive prices for their 8th gen chips, which by no means is certain. All I know for sure is, that it would be stupid to blindly recommend one or the other brand until coffee lake launches in a week.

Fun fact: According to the steam hardware survey, AMD actually lost about 5% of market share on cpus to Intel since the release of Ryzen. Now go figure...

8 minutes ago, Ezilkannan said:

If you want future compatibility of your board, Ryzen is the way to go.

Thats true, but Ryzen allready is about two generations behind Skylake in terms of ipc performance. Its not exactly wise to praise Ryzen as being future proof...

1 hour ago, Anand K N said:

I would like to know if ryzen 3 1200 or 1300x would be a better choice over coffelake  i3 8100.And if i choose the i3 then would i have to purchase a high cost motherboard??

Dont get 8100.. the first launch will only have z370 board.. i3 for a Z motherboard is a total waste.

1 hour ago, black0utm1rage said:

Thats true, but Ryzen allready is about two generations behind Skylake in terms of ipc performance. Its not exactly wise to praise Ryzen as being future proof...

so in terms of percentage in ipc what improvements have intel made past two generations compared to say, amd in past two generations?

8700k @5.0GHz | Maximus X Hero | RAM 32GB @3200MHz CL14 | 1080 TI | SSD 250GB + 2x500GB Raid 0 | Monitor 1440p 165Hz ISP

5 minutes ago, A_Mediocre_Kangaroo_Farmer said:

so in terms of percentage in ipc what improvements have intel made past two generations compared to say, amd in past two generations?

Ok, Intel claims about 10% ipc improvement per generation, that would make Ryzen perform equal to a Haswell cpu with the same core clock rates. And (unsurprisingly) that holds true during testing. Go look it up on Gamers Nexus or DigitalFoundry if you don't believe it. 

While its true that the ipc gains in between Bulldozer and Ryzen are much bigger than between Haswell and Skylake/Kaby Lake that doesn't exactly matter to how the chips from AMD and Intel compare.

No matter which long way AMD has come with Ryzen, its still slower than Skylake/Kaby Lake. Like I said, the only advatage AMD has going for themselves at the moment is a bigger core count, wich only indirectly benefits gamers and is hardly ever noticeable in higher fps (and also slightly more competitive prices than Intel depending on your region).

But Intel (unfortunately) still has the performance crown in the mainstream market, and thats why they'll keep strangling money from the consumers, because Ryzen never was a threat to Intel in terms of performance...

I still don't see how one brand offers more or less future proofing than the other.

8700k @5.0GHz | Maximus X Hero | RAM 32GB @3200MHz CL14 | 1080 TI | SSD 250GB + 2x500GB Raid 0 | Monitor 1440p 165Hz ISP

3 hours ago, black0utm1rage said:

I said future compatibility not future proof. You cannot be future proof ever! What I said was if you go the AM4 route you can use that motherboard until 2020. The Z370 will merely last a generation. Ofcourse if you don't have a problem buying a new board with every gen or two, wait until the reviews and then decide. I personally believe you won't see very huge difference in IPC between Skylake and Cofee Lake. As for as IPC in AMD, I don't think AMD will ever catch up to Intel until atleast Zen3 or later. Intel will still have the fastest chips for gaming. It will be a long time until AMD matches it up. The difference in IPC might decrease steadily, but won't outright beat them.