1st time build. Please help me with newbie mistakes

EthanHinman

Hello everyone! This is going to be my first PC build. I was hoping that someone who is good with computers can look over my build, and tell me if this is a good build. I'm a 1080p guy by the way. Also, I had a some questions.

Is the Ryzen 1600 stock cooler good enough for overclocking or should I get a different cooler? If so any recommendations.

Should I wait for the new intel processors to come out or will Ryzen be ok for 1080p gaming? 

I was also confused on the monitor does anyone know about a good gaming monitor around my budget?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nRnqjc

Another question. Will the Ryzen 1600 bootleg the GTX 1080? If so should I get a 1070?

5 minutes ago, EthanHinman said:

Another question. Will the Ryzen 1600 bootleg the GTX 1080? If so should I get a 1070?

Good looking build.  No Ryzen 1600 and GTX 1080 will work well together.  The 1080 is a little overkill for a 1080p monitor usually, but if you got the $$$ go for it.  You'll still be using that card in a few years while a 1070 wouldn't cut it anymore.

Everyone here knows that the 7700k of Intel is the best CPU for gaming. If you can afford that, Id say that the R5 1600 is the second to best choice, considering its price. For 1080p you will do great with both, but you should pair them with a 1070 graphics card. A 1060 will also do, but a 1070 is better and you will have plenty headroom for upcoming games.

Regarding the OC, a stock cooler does good for about .3 to .4 Ghz overclock. I think that a 1.3v OC will for sure send it to 80C temps. Is the build ONLY for gaming? If so, you will do fine with the stock cooler, just dont expect it to perform well in high OCs, since its not made for that.

Monitors? Go for IPS panels mainly, best ones in the market

So I saw your parts list, and it wasn't that bad tbh. I did change a few things. I swapped your 1600 for a 1600X (Only like $20-30 more for like +0.4GHz clock speed). I also swapped your OS because OEMs are meant for manufacturers making PCs to sell. AKA, they're not the best thing to use when building your own, but if you want to, it's fine. I'm not sure if the 1080 will bottleneck the 1600 or the 1600x, as I have no experience with any of these parts. Lastly, the monitor I listed is the same one that I use and it's very good for the price! It has a 75hz refresh rate, 1ms response time, and is 1080p, all for around $160-170 (Also has some good presets and blue light filters integrated into the menu). It has speakers as well... But they're not really that good.

Part List

Also --- I didn't know your budget xD

The red RAM doesn't match anything in the build, you could get the SL308 for $20 less, do you really need an ODD, and you can get Windows for $30 off of Reddit or Kinguin. Looks fine otherwise

:)

Great looking build honestly, ram is very ugly however and you could save a bit with a cheaper 1080 GPU. Other than that looks fantastic