cant decide on cooler for new case

katiekitsune

so im looking to move my current build into an in win 101 case but my noctua NH-D15 is too tall (and doesn't look good enough) for that case. the max cooler tower height for the 101 is 160mm so I've narrowed my choices down to the dark rock 3 (160mm H,TDP 190w) and the dark rock TF (130.8mm H,TDP 220w, down blowing). my biggest worry would be if the dark rock 3 would properly fit at the max height allowed by the case and which will provide quieter cooling for my overclocked 4790k (and possibly a ryzen 5 upgrade down the road).

wan

I understand what you're worrying about, but I'd go for the dark Rock 3, since both have the same height. But I you were to use a slimmer fan with the Dark Rock TF you might be able to save a few millimeters since this -should- decrease its height.

Make sure to tag and/or quote people so they get notified... :P:D 

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage
                                                                                                     AOC C24G1 / BenQ GW2270H(rarely overclocked to 87Hz :P )
                                                                               Razer Blackwidow / Redragon Kumara / Logitech G Pro Wiress / Sennheiser HD 559

Microsoft LifeCam Studio / Tonor BM700 microphone

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82 / Canon EOS 80D

#PCMasterrace

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Why not get a 120mm liquid cooler?

id prefer air cooling over an AIO since its quieter and has less points of faliure that i cant replace.

wan

Just now, katiekitsune said:

id prefer air cooling over an AIO since its quieter and has less points of faliure that i cant replace.

Most liquid coolers are very reliable. The H55, H60, or H80i from Corsair for example.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Most liquid coolers are very reliable. The H55, H60, or H80i from Corsair for example.

if im going to water cool im gong to do a custom loop.

wan

air cooling is no quieter imo and 2nd that the h60 is been good to me .. keeping my cpu cooler for 2 years and going

7 minutes ago, Jonas_2909 said:

I understand what you're worrying about, but I'd go for the dark Rock 3, since both have the same height. But I you were to use a slimmer fan with the Dark Rock TF you might be able to save a few millimeters since this -should- decrease its height.

im not sure how they are the same height

wan

How are you not sure? :o

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage

#PCMasterrace

Sorry, my fault.

My gear:

#PCMasterrace

After what I read, it's about 131mm tall with a fan installed, so it should fit quite snuggly...

My gear:

#PCMasterrace

7 minutes ago, Loot said:

air cooling is no quieter imo and 2nd that the h60 is been good to me .. keeping my cpu cooler for 2 years and going

im only concerned between the coolers im currently looking at, they are aestheticly pleasing and quieter than (as far as i can tell) every AIO on the market.

wan

4 minutes ago, Jonas_2909 said:

After what I read, it's about 131mm tall with a fan installed, so it should fit quite snuggly...

the 160mm tall dark rock 3 is what im worried about height wise, since its exactly the max height allowed by the case. i havent had to deal with deal with such a tight tolerance before so im i dont know if being at the max will still fit or if it wil be right up on the glass.

wan

I totally get it. That's why I'd go for the TF one. I don't know, it might be a little louder, but it should definetely with(assuming what I read is right).

My gear:

#PCMasterrace

4 minutes ago, Jonas_2909 said:

I totally get it. That's why I'd go for the TF one. I don't know, it might be a little louder, but it should definetely with(assuming what I read is right).

i believe its only louder because it blows air down on to a non uniform surface (the motherboard) and has a second fan. but i will probably end up with the TF unless the 3 manages to have better cooling at the same fan speeds and still fits because of that amazing looking cap plate.

wan

I'm very confident you're not going to use the same fans for both, lol :)

At least not to 100%

My gear:

#PCMasterrace

Just now, Jonas_2909 said:

I'm very confident you're not going to use the same fans for both, lol :)

At least not to 100%

they both include the same fan, the TF has a second one.

wan

Yeah, I was talking about the latter one...

My gear:

#PCMasterrace

Just now, Jonas_2909 said:

Yeah, I was talking about the latter one...

right the second fan on the tf is the same as the main one and the one on the 3

wan

The NH-D15 should fit. The heatsink itself is 160mm tall and the fan can lower into it. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The NH-D15 should fit. The heatsink itself is 160mm tall and the fan can lower into it. 

you mean the outer fan or the middle one?, the noctua website lists the NH-D15S as 160mm but the NH-15 is listed as 165mm

wan

1 hour ago, katiekitsune said:

you mean the outer fan or the middle one?, the noctua website lists the NH-D15S as 160mm but the NH-15 is listed as 165mm

Both fans can be lowered. How much so depends on the ram and motherboard you're using.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

4 hours ago, katiekitsune said:

D15 has fan 5mm higher than D15S by default. You seems to be using Kingston Fury as RAM. If that is correct, you can easily lower fan. Or move it to other side as pull. Doing so doesn't have any significant effect on performance.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv