Protection from a lightning strike

Scribbles

So i was  finally able do finish up my dream setup, the problem is im still running on a regular extension cabel :D. And i live in a pretty old building so i dont have those automatic switches. What would you recommend for good lightining protection?

Should i get a regular extension cabel with protection or a dedicated UPS, my budget is around 200$

If you got any specific model name or manufraturer please do tell.

I would definitely consider a UPS. Not only do they typically offer surge protection for at least one of your devices, they will allow you to save anything necessary before your power is cut. I've heard good things about CyberPower's UPS selection.

12 minutes ago, Scribbles said:

So i was  finally able do finish up my dream setup, the problem is im still running on a regular extension cabel :D. And i live in a pretty old building so i dont have those automatic switches. What would you recommend for good lightining protection?

Should i get a regular extension cabel with protection or a dedicated UPS, my budget is around 200$

If you got any specific model name or manufraturer please do tell.

UPS, this should be sufficient to power your rig, a monitor and your router

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009TZTGWK/?tag=pcpapi-20

Unplug everything important when lightning comes round. 

My house has had 1 lighting hit and 2 near hits in the last 10 years. A UPS is great for balancing out power spikes and brown outs but a direct hit to your house will nuke any UPS. I had a 1000VA UPS that cost me ~$1000 back in the day protecting my NAS in a closet and a smaller UPS for my gaming PC. Lightning stuck my house (watched arks jump from my lighting fixture to GFC plugs in the bathroom).  

The surge killed both UPSs the motherboards of each system behind it and about half of my houses electrical (Stove, AC, Washer/dryer, Computers, modems, switches, Roku, ps3, etc...) All of my devices were behind a decent $20+ well rated surge protector. Additionally the hit conducted through my modem to the connection point street side where it blew the connector end to bits, Cable guy said it's built to do that to protect everything behind it. 

My near hits only fried a mouse, modem, microwave, SNES and a fan. The strike was somewhere between my neighbor's bathroom and my gaming room. Electricity jumped from a desk high socket to my arm through my mouse and shut my computer off (luckily it turned on but my mouse was toast). Funny side story I had just had a nuclear scan done earlier that day and could be technically considered as someone radioactive that got stuck by lightning (no powers :( ). 

TLDR: When lighting hits directly nothing will stop it, from taking a dump on your equipment. A good sine wave ups is worth the cost to protect you from nasty power instability in older homes but If you love it and are prone to lightning strikes unplug. (side story, i actually had a full aluminum laptop near a socket with the big hit that got fried, wasn't even plugged in) Make sure you have lighting coverage in your insurance if you are truly worried I had a1k deductible and a 16k payout for replacement. 

Edit: my recommendation https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpower-1325va-sine-wave-battery-back-up-system-black/4961801.p?skuId=4961801

6 minutes ago, Dlog said:

My house has had 1 lighting hit and 2 near hits in the last 10 years. A UPS is great for balancing out power spikes and brown outs but a direct hit to your house will nuke any UPS.

Exactly. A electrical discharge with enough voltage to be able to arc from a cloud at an altitude of 1km or more to the ground is not going to be stopped by a tiny little box.

Such devices might offer protection against voltage transients but protection against a close or direct lightning hit is unrealistic.

19 minutes ago, Unimportant said:

Exactly. A electrical discharge with enough voltage to be able to arc from a cloud at an altitude of 1km or more to the ground is not going to be stopped by a tiny little box.

Such devices might offer protection against voltage transients but protection against a close or direct lightning hit is unrealistic.

I agree entirely with this.  My grandfather had his house hit directly with lightning.  Wiped out his computer, washer and dryer.  What ever you get, if you want MAXIMUM Surge protection, and to make sure your devices are insured for acts of god.  that is pretty much the only thing that will save you.  Now as far as ups's go, my personal recommendation is APC, however, this is only because i haven't used any of the other brands and am only willing to speak to what I know.  That being said, anything from Cyberpower, Tripplite, or APC should come with some sort of a guarantee/warranty, and all three of them are reputable brands in the industry.

Thank you so much for the recommendations  :D . I will look into buying a UPS and just unplugging everything if theres a big thunderstorm coming