[Featured on Geforce Garage] Scratch Build - Hardwood Walnut Maple Case.

Ok, So I'm missing a bunch of assembly photos. So I'm going to show what I have for now and when I change out the fluid (I used event fluid that shouldn't stay) I'll update this part of the build log. But here is what I have at least. 

nC1OG5k.jpg

One thing I love about modular power supplies is that I can make custom connections for the pump. So here I just crimped atx pins and put them in a 6pin female connector. Yellow is 12v so all you need to do to ensure the proper pin out of your PSU is to use a multi meter and test each pin on the PSU. There are some diagrams online, but I've had one bite me in the ass before, so now I always test my own power supplies when making custom cables. If you anyone would like a diagram for the SF600 let me know. 

S9VKv6h.jpg

I like to take the pump apart so that I can sleeve all the way to the solder points on the pump. Just makes for a cleaner aesthetic. The two sleeved cables have 2 wires each. One is the common and 12v for power, and the other is for PWM control which goes to the CPU fan header on the motherboard.

eEPX7Om.jpg

The motherboard has a single 12v RGB header. I have 3 areas of the case that need RGB lighting. The main compartment, the top compartment, and the exterior shell. So I made my own spliter. I probably could have bought one. But I really hate the way RGB strips use those 4pin connectors that are not secure at all and come loose rather easily. So I used 4pin fan connectors which seat more securely. I twisted the colors together and then added a little solder.

KyQlZ2g.jpg

I'll be using a small length to finish the connection to the motherboard so that it is not to cramped with the large bundle of wires. To make the connection super secure, I used a dupont pin (the same pin used for usb and front panel connectors) and crimped it down on both ends of the wire.

BDE19EP.jpg

Followed that up with some solder. These things are not coming part. 

T3I5Mqd.jpg

The finished splitter. I used dupont pins in a usb connector that seats really well onto the RGB 4pin on the motherboard. I also used the same connector for the Front I/O, much easier to connect one connector than a bunch of single dupont connectors. 

4LVcbBI.jpg

Made custom length fan cables. This really helps keep things nice and clean and it is really easy to do. You can reuse the existing fan connector and just put on new fan pins. 

4ua55zp.jpg

Here is why I had those custom lengths. The radiator fans and the two front fans run to this fan splitter which is PWM. There is a single connection that runs to the only other fan header on the motherboard. 

foTVN0O.jpg

Radiator and front fans installed. As well as the middle lateral support on the other side. I had to leave this sides mid lateral support off because that is where I'll be running most of the system wires. 

sIgdYhB.jpg

These parts went in first because it would have been to difficult to do it later with the motherboard tray in place. 

3vdJYmJ.jpg

One nice thing about a removable motherboard tray is I can fix everything to it before placing it in the case. Here you can also get a good look at the PCIe extension cable I used. This one is from Thermaltake is is super high quality. I think LTT did a video on daisy chaining these together and was able to do like 5 or 6 before they had any performance loss. It was also flexible enough to go behind the motherboard with ease. 

Km65ISt.jpg

gQnuonD.jpg

MB tray and GPU installed. It was at this point I realized I didn't like the way the PCIe cable looked so I made an acrylic cover for it that I attached with some 3M adhesive. You'll see in the finished pics. 

2ZBRP9M.jpg

When installing the pump, I realized I needed to make a couple of spacers for the pump bracket. I just tagged these in some matte black paint, and because they have the same profile as the mount they are hardly noticeable in the final product. 

piEDc1d.jpg

8rHMsC2.jpg

Close up of the 8pin front panel connector I made. I love the final details. Also you'll notice the rails are looking a little beaten up. The paint on them hasn't had enough time to cure :( So its lifting in the high friction spots. Luckily you wont see that when its installed into the shell, but I'll end up repainting these later. Also the white specs you see is dust. It'll get a thorough cleaning before is done. 

Unfortunately that is all I have for the final assembly. Like I said, I'll go back and take some photos of the rest of the process when I refill the loop. When I get back from the movies I'll post the finish photos!

20 hours ago, bmccarthy said:

Ok, So I'm missing a bunch of assembly photos. So I'm going to show what I have for now and when I change out the fluid (I used event fluid that shouldn't stay) I'll update this part of the build log. But here is what I have at least. 

nC1OG5k.jpg

One thing I love about modular power supplies is that I can make custom connections for the pump. So here I just crimped atx pins and put them in a 6pin female connector. Yellow is 12v so all you need to do to ensure the proper pin out of your PSU is to use a multi meter and test each pin on the PSU. There are some diagrams online, but I've had one bite me in the ass before, so now I always test my own power supplies when making custom cables. If you anyone would like a diagram for the SF600 let me know. 

S9VKv6h.jpg

I like to take the pump apart so that I can sleeve all the way to the solder points on the pump. Just makes for a cleaner aesthetic. The two sleeved cables have 2 wires each. One is the common and 12v for power, and the other is for PWM control which goes to the CPU fan header on the motherboard.

eEPX7Om.jpg

The motherboard has a single 12v RGB header. I have 3 areas of the case that need RGB lighting. The main compartment, the top compartment, and the exterior shell. So I made my own spliter. I probably could have bought one. But I really hate the way RGB strips use those 4pin connectors that are not secure at all and come loose rather easily. So I used 4pin fan connectors which seat more securely. I twisted the colors together and then added a little solder.

KyQlZ2g.jpg

I'll be using a small length to finish the connection to the motherboard so that it is not to cramped with the large bundle of wires. To make the connection super secure, I used a dupont pin (the same pin used for usb and front panel connectors) and crimped it down on both ends of the wire.

BDE19EP.jpg

Followed that up with some solder. These things are not coming part. 

T3I5Mqd.jpg

The finished splitter. I used dupont pins in a usb connector that seats really well onto the RGB 4pin on the motherboard. I also used the same connector for the Front I/O, much easier to connect one connector than a bunch of single dupont connectors. 

4LVcbBI.jpg

Made custom length fan cables. This really helps keep things nice and clean and it is really easy to do. You can reuse the existing fan connector and just put on new fan pins. 

4ua55zp.jpg

Here is why I had those custom lengths. The radiator fans and the two front fans run to this fan splitter which is PWM. There is a single connection that runs to the only other fan header on the motherboard. 

foTVN0O.jpg

Radiator and front fans installed. As well as the middle lateral support on the other side. I had to leave this sides mid lateral support off because that is where I'll be running most of the system wires. 

sIgdYhB.jpg

These parts went in first because it would have been to difficult to do it later with the motherboard tray in place. 

3vdJYmJ.jpg

One nice thing about a removable motherboard tray is I can fix everything to it before placing it in the case. Here you can also get a good look at the PCIe extension cable I used. This one is from Thermaltake is is super high quality. I think LTT did a video on daisy chaining these together and was able to do like 5 or 6 before they had any performance loss. It was also flexible enough to go behind the motherboard with ease. 

Km65ISt.jpg

gQnuonD.jpg

MB tray and GPU installed. It was at this point I realized I didn't like the way the PCIe cable looked so I made an acrylic cover for it that I attached with some 3M adhesive. You'll see in the finished pics. 

2ZBRP9M.jpg

When installing the pump, I realized I needed to make a couple of spacers for the pump bracket. I just tagged these in some matte black paint, and because they have the same profile as the mount they are hardly noticeable in the final product. 

piEDc1d.jpg

8rHMsC2.jpg

Close up of the 8pin front panel connector I made. I love the final details. Also you'll notice the rails are looking a little beaten up. The paint on them hasn't had enough time to cure :( So its lifting in the high friction spots. Luckily you wont see that when its installed into the shell, but I'll end up repainting these later. Also the white specs you see is dust. It'll get a thorough cleaning before is done. 

Unfortunately that is all I have for the final assembly. Like I said, I'll go back and take some photos of the rest of the process when I refill the loop. When I get back from the movies I'll post the finish photos!

Looking forward to those :D

1000$ PC: CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.6ghz Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming-3 RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 6gb G1 gaming Storage: 2tb Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm PSU: Corsair Vengeance 550m Case: NZXT S340 Black/Red Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ cherry mx browns Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310

Here we are guys. This is the result of all that hard work.

First the frame!

1XOp1lw.jpg

hDLgsjN.jpg

zffFeed.jpg

oaw9Iad.jpg

A4q99Rw.jpg

wFNJyc5.jpg

5PAGqB0.jpg

0JwoZlw.jpg

And lastly some natural light final shots. 

ajuVokA.jpg

l7jRFhR.jpg

46oa2iv.jpg

G9ptNQG.jpg

J7swEtN.jpg

Q6v4wv9.jpg

iKzN6X7.jpg

T8VDZda.jpg

DrfMnZd.jpg

lnLzN0y.jpg

R6uG29g.jpg

EAgXeCl.jpg

080EvJs.jpg

Nvidia is going to be releasing an article this month about my build. 

O7wx5C3.jpg

6ydoadr.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to take a look at my build. It was a lot of fun and please feel free to reply with questions!

Oh yeah, some low light photos. I apologize for the quality, I absolutely suck at low light photos. And please excuse my messy desk.

LrHoIJr.jpg

ED8GAY4.jpg

Q5nUuVt.jpg

19xCBmx.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/2/2017 at 5:30 PM, bmccarthy said:

Oh yeah, some low light photos. I apologize for the quality, I absolutely suck at low light photos. And please excuse my messy desk.

LrHoIJr.jpg

ED8GAY4.jpg

Q5nUuVt.jpg

19xCBmx.jpg

Dude holy crap. That looks incredible.

1000$ PC: CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.6ghz Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming-3 RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 6gb G1 gaming Storage: 2tb Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm PSU: Corsair Vengeance 550m Case: NZXT S340 Black/Red Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ cherry mx browns Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310

On 10/18/2017 at 2:45 AM, Fluffybakon said:

Dude holy crap. That looks incredible.

Thanks man I appreciate it!