Cheap minecraft server

LHJKO

im looking to host a cheap modded mine craft server like sky factory 3  for me and a couple of friends 

whats the cheapest cpu that will run it fine?  i dont want any thing newer dont wanna spend 100+ for ram 

My Personal Computer

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz (OC 3.8) 6-Core Processor

Cpu cooler DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX WHITE 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz RAM 8x3

Storage: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III

Storage:SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 500GB SATA III
Video Card: RTX 2060
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA 550 B3 550W

Peripherals

Monitor: Acer XF240H 24" TN Free-Sync ,144 Hz 

Keyboard: Corsair k95 RGB platinum

Mouse: Razer basilisk

Headset: Hyperx cloud alpha pro

A Raspberry Pi B3 can run a Minecraft server fine for a few people, but I wouldn't go past 8.

My main computer:

i7 6700k || GTX 1070 || Asus Z170 RGB || C.M. Hyper 212 EVO || 16GB RAM || 256GB NVMe SSD || 500GB SATA SSD || 12TB total HDD || Define R5 Blackout || 850W PSU

More Details Below :) 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k                             GPU:  EVGA GTX 1070 FTW                                  |  Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Aura
CPU Cooler: C.M. Hyper 212 EVO             RAM: 16GB Kingston Fury 4x4 DDR4 2400MHz         SSD:  Intel 256GB NVMe SSD & Plextor 500GB SATA SSD

Hard Drive:  WD 2TB Black, 2TB WD Blue, 8TB WD Red     Case:  Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition   PSU:  Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W

Additional Computer Parts: NZXT Hue for LEDs

Peripherals: Dell U2414H (x2) || Corsair Sabre RGB || Corsair K95 Platinum || Sennheiser 558's || Modmic

Pictures of setup:

2 minutes ago, njmyers3 said:

A Raspberry Pi B3 can run a Minecraft server fine for a few people, but I wouldn't go past 8.

i wanna run modded minecraft sever and it uses over 6gb of ram 

My Personal Computer

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz (OC 3.8) 6-Core Processor

Cpu cooler DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX WHITE 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz RAM 8x3

Storage: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III

Storage:SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 500GB SATA III
Video Card: RTX 2060
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA 550 B3 550W

Peripherals

Monitor: Acer XF240H 24" TN Free-Sync ,144 Hz 

Keyboard: Corsair k95 RGB platinum

Mouse: Razer basilisk

Headset: Hyperx cloud alpha pro

1 minute ago, njmyers3 said:

if you have no idea what you're talking about, please remove yourself.

--

on topic:

since you mention "couple of friends" and "sky factory 3".. i'm guessing it's only for a select group of friends, whitelisted and well walled off.

before mentioned raspberry pi 3 will chug before you even get to launching the damn server, dont even bother.

something i'd recommend, since minecraft servers are still pretty much all in one thread.. (mind you, ONLY if it's for between friends)

either grab an old system you have on the shelf, or grab one of those i3 7320 processors, because they combine high clock speed with relatively low cost, and you wont come anywhere close to maxing out that thing. slap that into a cheapo mobo, slap 8 gigs of ram in it, slap a hard drive into that, some random power supply, in a cheap case, toss linux on it and call it a day.

3 minutes ago, Vernw3 said:

i wanna run modded minecraft sever and it uses over 6gb of ram 

What is your budget?

18 minutes ago, Vernw3 said:

im looking to host a cheap modded mine craft server like sky factory 3  for me and a couple of friends 

whats the cheapest cpu that will run it fine?  i dont want any thing newer dont wanna spend 100+ for ram 

buy urself an old socket 775 pc with a core 2 duo e8400 or somthing :P should do the job easily ( have hosted cod server,archeblade server + ts3 server off those myself, 0 lag ever )

pst u can get those pc,s somtimes used for like 30$ xD

u can also look for core 2 quad systems ( just watch the ram inside :P theres quite a few with 8gb aswell )

(◑‿◐)

If I were you I'd do one of three things depending on your situation:

1: You have an unnecessarily powerful PC (like most of the people on this forum including me)

• Setup a VM host
  • Install the MineOS Docker
  • Install a Windows (or whatever OS you are used to) VM
  • (Or just follow my UnraidGuide, I go into setting up a MinecraftServer specifically)

2: Setup a server @ home 

• If you want it just for the server and don't want to use it as a NAS, too, I would go ebay shopping for old PCs/Servers. Try to find something with a Sandybridge Chip or newer, with at least 2 cores and hyper threading (or 4 cores without). And use at least 8GB of RAM. If you want to mod the game and have a fair number of players 8 is kinda minimum
  • If you go for a NAS, Plex, Minecraft combo, or plan to extend your internet presence from the Minecraft server to a webpage or plex or so, I'd probably buy new consumer hardware. I am running my little server on a Pentium G4560 with 8GB, but this is primarily a NAS and plex server, setup the minecraft server pretty much only so I could include it in the Unraid guide. (If you live with your parents, they may agree on paying for this hardware, since it offers a pretty safe place to store images and important documents). 

3: Letting someone do it for you

• Most prices for hosting are kinda fair
  • Less risk of potential attacks
  • less stuff to deal with
  • inherently more expensive and less flexible
  • easier to scale

If you need one pretty quickly, live in europe or don't care about high-ish pings and are happy with relatively little power (2 modern CPU cores), I could setup a VM on one of my rigs and give you RDP access via a VPN or Teamviewer. At least for a while

2 hours ago, manikyath said:

if you have no idea what you're talking about, please remove yourself.

I do know what I'm talking about, or else I wouldn't have responded. A raspberry pi works fine for a simple Minecraft server for a few friends to play on. I wouldn't host a public server on it, but it works well in a pinch just for building collaboration. Of course the ram is going to be the major limitation if you want to install a lot of mods or plugins, but it should be able to easily support the basics. I've never heard of the mod that the OP mentioned, so I don't know how demanding it is, but I was just trying to provide him some insight on a cheap solution that may work for him.

My main computer:

i7 6700k || GTX 1070 || Asus Z170 RGB || C.M. Hyper 212 EVO || 16GB RAM || 256GB NVMe SSD || 500GB SATA SSD || 12TB total HDD || Define R5 Blackout || 850W PSU

More Details Below :) 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k                             GPU:  EVGA GTX 1070 FTW                                  |  Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Aura
CPU Cooler: C.M. Hyper 212 EVO             RAM: 16GB Kingston Fury 4x4 DDR4 2400MHz         SSD:  Intel 256GB NVMe SSD & Plextor 500GB SATA SSD

Hard Drive:  WD 2TB Black, 2TB WD Blue, 8TB WD Red     Case:  Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition   PSU:  Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W

Additional Computer Parts: NZXT Hue for LEDs

Peripherals: Dell U2414H (x2) || Corsair Sabre RGB || Corsair K95 Platinum || Sennheiser 558's || Modmic

Pictures of setup:

Just now, njmyers3 said:

I do know what I'm talking about, or else I wouldn't have responded. A raspberry pi works fine for a simple Minecraft server for a few friends to play on. I wouldn't host a public server on it, but it works well in a pinch just for building collaboration. Of course the ram is going to be the major limitation if you want to install a lot of mods or plugins, but it should be able to easily support the basics. I've never heard of the mod that the OP mentioned, so I don't know how demanding it is, but I was just trying to provide him some insight on a cheap solution that may work for him.

if you know what you're talking about, you'd know that a pi barely scrapes by on vanilla, and no matter the kind of mods we're talking, it aint gonna be enough.

also, a pi is ungodly terrible at executing java. just loading chatty will keep my pi2 busy for 10-20 minutes.

On 9/24/2017 at 4:41 PM, Vernw3 said:

I IMPLORE YOU! To go on eBay(best selection), Bestbuy, Walmart,Staples and find a nice refurbished Desktop, get something that has a processor with good single core performance, honestly you don't need hypertrophying if you can find one with a high end core Duo; your golden. BUT if you go with a Core i_ even a fast i3 will suit your needs. 

With ebay in particular you can find systems which I can only Imagine are configured just for Minecraft serverters:

Just a quick search and I just found this on ebay,ca for $350CAD: core i3 2XXX with 16gb of ram and 2TB HDD WITH a complementary win 10 pro licence. You can flip that HDD for a 250gb SSD ESSAY. And with all that ram you could even run your server off it as a ramDisk for silky smooth rendering

If you insist on new I would look into the Skylake and Kayblake Pentiums. Get the fastest dual core; Pentium + the cheapest MOB and RAM (8gigs) you can find, skip the case you can use cardboard, and get a efficient 300W PSU.