Sharing and syncing the same folder on 2 computers?

Macko939

Hey guys! I'm not sure if it's the correct forum to ask, my apologies if it's not.

Sooo I have a new laptop that I bought so I can play wow when I'm at work/traveling/etc and it's great but 1 thing really annoys me, I have to manage my addons on 2 computers separately which is really tedious and annoying.

Is there a way to keep a folder on my pc  

In this case:

C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns

always (or whenever there's network) on 2 computers?

Like so if I add a new addon on my PC, it'll appear on the laptop as well.

Kinda like the "OneDrive" folder I have on both of them.

6 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

use home network group and share the folders

I think he wants it through the cloud though...

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

It doesn't matter really, as long as the folders stay in sync most of the time :)

I tried to create a home group but I'm not entirely sure how to apply it to that folder 

2 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

he said LIKE THE ONEDRIVE, i dont tihnk he wants the cloud :P

he said Like so if I add a new addon on my PC, it'll appear on the laptop as well.  < aswell ._.

think networksharing is just wht he wants xD

(◑‿◐)

1 minute ago, Macko939 said:

It doesn't matter really, as long as the folders stay in sync most of the time :)

I tried to create a home group but I'm not entirely sure how to apply it to that folder 

its somthing as simple as > rightclick folder > properties and there should be a sharing option somwhere :P forgot where

just make sure both systems are in the same NAMED homegroup  aka

if its named HOMEGROUP

both systems should be in homegroup name as > HOMEGROUP <

(◑‿◐)

7 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

he said LIKE THE ONEDRIVE, i dont tihnk he wants the cloud :P

he said Like so if I add a new addon on my PC, it'll appear on the laptop as well.  < aswell ._.

think networksharing is just wht he wants xD

Can WoW transverse network shares though? I don't have much experience dealing with that stuff on Windows but I didn't think they work like actual mounts, even if you mount them to a directory...

30 minutes ago, Macko939 said:

Hey guys! I'm not sure if it's the correct forum to ask, my apologies if it's not.

Sooo I have a new laptop that I bought so I can play wow when I'm at work/traveling/etc and it's great but 1 thing really annoys me, I have to manage my addons on 2 computers separately which is really tedious and annoying.

Is there a way to keep a folder on my pc  

In this case:

C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns

always (or whenever there's network) on 2 computers?

Like so if I add a new addon on my PC, it'll appear on the laptop as well.

Kinda like the "OneDrive" folder I have on both of them.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/freefilesync/

2 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Can WoW transverse network shares though? I don't have much experience dealing with that stuff on Windows but I didn't think they work like actual mounts, even if you mount them to a directory...

with network sharing u could play a game from the other computer ( on only that pc,s hardware ) using the laptop for example :P

it would stream through the internet and the lan connection ( considering u are cabled )  goes up to 1000mb/s 100mb/s depending on the router

if u really need it while traveling, cloud would be too slow u should just bring a external hdd in that case, or a remote control software for your mainpc ( so u can play using ur laptop on ur main pc )

(◑‿◐)

no no I don't want to stream anything or play over the network.

There's a folder "interface" for custom files that alter the appearance of the game etc. It's just a regular folder.

I don't need it to be in sync 24/7 or to stream anything, all I want is to make it so if I add a new file on my desktop (into that folder) it'll appear on my laptop in the same location too. 

2 minutes ago, Macko939 said:

There's a folder "interface" for custom files that alter the appearance of the game etc. It's just a regular folder.

I don't need it to be in sync 24/7 or to stream anything, all I want is to make it so if I add a new file on my desktop (into that folder) it'll appear on my laptop in the same location too. 

Again https://sourceforge.net/projects/freefilesync/ is a good option for that kind of stuff. It's not super user friendly but it gets the job done, and works across operating systems while maintaining OS permissions so things don't accidentally break.

6 minutes ago, Macko939 said:

cloud is ur best bet in this yeah

(◑‿◐)

You could just use Dropbox if you use it already. With it's desktop application you can create folders that get synchronized to the cloud and back.

13 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

While good software, setting up automated sync is pain compared to Resilio Sync.

12 hours ago, tjcater said:

Going to through out another alternative because why not: Resilio Sync Home (Formerly known as BitTorrent Sync)

This. Set up folders and it will sync over LAN or even internet. Once both machines are online at the same time and softwares are running.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv