Is there some kind of "Color Calibrated Profiles for various monitors database" or something like that?

Inimigor
Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,

Colors vary from monitor to monitor even if they are the same model, so one person's calibration profile isn't going to fit perfectly on someone else's monitor. Though I suppose it will probably be better than factory settings. You can google for your monitors model number and "ICC profile" and see if anything comes up, I don't know of any centralized database though.

If you don't have any calibration hardware or any idea how to do it though, you probably don't need it; the point of calibration is so that you can match your monitor to a printer that is also calibrated so that what you see on the screen looks the same as it will when printed. It's not about making the monitors "look better" or something like that; my monitors have calibrated profiles but I don't use them because they look dull to me. If you aren't a graphic artist and don't have a need for multiple devices to be calibrated to each other; then just adjust the settings to whatever looks best to you.

The title of the post sums it up pretty well, I'd love to see how my AOC E2243Fwk looks after being at least properly calibrated; and basically what would be the ideal settings and profile for my monitor to be as close to ideal as possible.

I don't have any hardware to calibrate it and when I went on looking for it, found out it was definitely out of my budget (especially since I don't work with color sensitive stuff and could buy a new monitor for the price of a decent calibrator).
     So... I have no idea of what would be a properly calibrated screen (I also obviously don't have access to a monitor/TV wich has known well calibrated settings, I have an LG TV here wich obviously has colors oversaturated, backlight too strong and the sharpness way too high for computer use; but that's about as much as I can tell of what's wrong or right.)

Does anyone know of anywhere I can find some data for kind of "just copy these settings and it should be good enough" so I don't have to rely on my guesstimations too much?

I'm sure someone is going to say "just adjust it to your taste" but i'd prefer having a "default" of what it should be like and then adjust from that, so I at least know if I'm changing anything out of the "default" parameters.

Also... I don't know pretty much anything about color accuracy, screen calibration or anything like that, so I could be completely off the ball park here; but hey, that's why i'm asking you guys for help, right?

TL;DR: I don't have hardware to calibrate my screen and no idea how to do it properly. Where can I find a "just copy this" profile for dummies for my screen?

And some stuff that might be relevant to someone?

I use my screens to watch some youtube/netflix/cartoon/anime, play overwatch and assetto corsa (that's why 3) and to see if the hardware I fix is working properly, so it's not like I need a perfectly calibrated screen to do my job (I just fix mostly hardware stuff, so if all colors are completely wrong, wouldn't make a difference) but it's nice having better color calibration on something I literally spend at least 60% of my awake time.
     I don't really have plans of changing my screens any time soon since I don't really have any spare money for it, and at least according to displaylag.com's database this monitor is still considered an excellent display on the response time department (12ms); after "debezelling" and overclocking them to 75hz, I can't really find a monitor on the 22" category that really makes me want to upgrade. 
     No 120hz monitors on that list with an equivalent response time, and the ViewSonic VX2257 (the only Freesync option on the list) is not sold here in Brazil. I literally have no room for anything much larger than 22" (maybe I can fit a 23/24" with a very thin bezel and a bit of luck). At some point I do plan on grabbing a 120hz screen with adaptive sync and all; but for now these screens are going to stay where they are.

Getting these monitors on the wall was a whole show on its own... I had to MacGyver so much stuff here to make these screens work on the wall mount and still have space under them on the table, these screens are not wall-mount friendly at all! The stand is fixed pretty much fixed in place, and the input/power of the screen is located on the back of the base itself, the screen has a flat cable that goes from the base to it, the energy is delivered through a brick, and oh god I had to drill the back of the monitor's case and pray it would be able to hold the all wheight after sanding the bezels to make them a bit finner.
     I kind of grew attached to them after going through all this trouble to make them work on this space.

|CPU : Core i7 4770 (non-K :( ) | GPU : XFX RX 480 GTR 8GB @ 1385Mhz | MoBo: Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 | PSU: XFX 850W PRO | Case: In-Progress Silverstone TJ-07 |

Zenfone 2 ZE551ml 32GB + 64GB SD - Rooted LineageOS |

Colors vary from monitor to monitor even if they are the same model, so one person's calibration profile isn't going to fit perfectly on someone else's monitor. Though I suppose it will probably be better than factory settings. You can google for your monitors model number and "ICC profile" and see if anything comes up, I don't know of any centralized database though.

If you don't have any calibration hardware or any idea how to do it though, you probably don't need it; the point of calibration is so that you can match your monitor to a printer that is also calibrated so that what you see on the screen looks the same as it will when printed. It's not about making the monitors "look better" or something like that; my monitors have calibrated profiles but I don't use them because they look dull to me. If you aren't a graphic artist and don't have a need for multiple devices to be calibrated to each other; then just adjust the settings to whatever looks best to you.

2 hours ago, Glenwing said:

Found something similar to what I was looking for, but unfortunately didn't find my model specifically:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm#the_database

This site has kind of a profile database, the "ICC Profile" did the trick to find it!

I'll test a few ICC profiles I've found, and try to tinker with it a bit. And as I imagined, I already expected the "whatever feels good" kind of answer but thanks for the input anyway :D

Edit: Also AOC has an ICC on their download page, not available on the portuguese website for some reason, but aocmonitorap.com had it easil available.

Edited by Inimigor
extra info with no need for another comment/post

|CPU : Core i7 4770 (non-K :( ) | GPU : XFX RX 480 GTR 8GB @ 1385Mhz | MoBo: Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 | PSU: XFX 850W PRO | Case: In-Progress Silverstone TJ-07 |

Zenfone 2 ZE551ml 32GB + 64GB SD - Rooted LineageOS |