3 ram sticks/different sizes ok?

mohabed96

So, I bought a second hand i7-4770+msi e45 b85+2x4gb kingston ram, I thought the ram was a single stick because of bad discription from seller, so I had already bought another single stick 8gb with similar specs, from reading other peoples threads i thought I would get 12gb if I had all 3 ram sticks on at the same time or that the system would be buggy, however it works fine, system is showing 16gb and when I opened 60 fans on chrome it managed 11 gb load no issue, have other people tried this and gotten it to work or this just a fluke and Im getting a system crash/bottleneck soon? 

2 minutes ago, dndfm said:

So, I bought a second hand i7-4770+msi e45 b85+2x4gb kingston ram, I thought the ram was a single stick because of bad discription from seller, so I had already bought another single stick 8gb with similar specs, from reading other peoples threads i thought I would get 12gb if I had all 3 ram sticks on at the same time or that the system would be buggy, however it works fine, system is showing 16gb and when I opened 60 fans on chrome it managed 11 gb load no issue, have other people tried this and gotten it to work or this just a fluke and Im getting a system crash/bottleneck soon? 

in my system right now I have 3 different dims to and its been like that for a year and it works fine so u should be ok

You will be more than certainly fine, I have an uneven RAM configuration (1x 8GB stick & 1x 4GB stick) works perfectly fine for me :)

If I am correct, different memory speeds may cause system instability, though would need someone to clarify on that as I haven't tested myself.

It's completely fine. 

18 minutes ago, Shay Punter said:

If I am correct, different memory speeds may cause system instability, though would need someone to clarify on that as I haven't tested myself.

Speed shouldn't cause too much of an issue, as the higher clocked modules will run at the speed of the slowest stick. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2