$5000 Threadripper System PROBLEMS w/ USB & Long BIOS Time

Go to solution Solved by Guest,
3 minutes ago, Xin Zhao said:

Thank you sharing this! I see that you have a 1950X system as well. I'm assuming this works well for you?

To be honest though, I will not install Ai Suite again. It completely bricked my PC and I had to start from scratch with a fresh Windows. 

Also where did you find that UEFI? Isn't that a very old version?

Sorry to be so skeptical. I just don't want to ruin anything again :( I really do appreciate the help!

AI Suite had an issue where it enabled HPET which completely decimates performance. The version I linked does not do this. That said, if you don't have AI Suite, then ignore that part. This is from raja@asus from the overclocker forum. He is an employee and has assisted me directly when I had a different issue, so he is trustworthy. I got my update from those links. That is the newest version despite the number being low. I have no idea how they come up with them. I am currently using 0046 which address some stability issues for me.

I something goes wrong, there is always BIOS Flashback, so there is a very low chance that you'll brick it for good. You don't even need a CPU or RAM installed for flashaback to work.

Hey there!

I recently built my new AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X system. It's been a complete disaster though.

CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X @ Stock

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Lighning X

RAM: 2 sets of 32GB @ 2800Mhz @ 16-16-16-38 (G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3200C16Q-32GTZR)

MOBO: Asus ROG Zenith Extreme (BIOS 0503)

CPU COOLER: NZXT Kraken X62
USB HUB: NZXT USB Hub

BOOT DRIVE: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (Samsung NVM Express 2.2)

PSU: Corsair AX860

LIGHTING: NZXT Hue+

FAN HUB: NZXT Grid+ V2

CAPTURE CARD: Elgato Game Capture HD60 Pro

CAM: 3.3.5

GRAPHICS: 385.41

Right now I have two issues. I would greatly appreciate any help! :)

1. Something is going on with my USBs. One of them is showing "Unknown USB Device (Device Failed Enumeration)". This was after connecting my HTC Vive (which has always worked perfectly and currently functions as intended). I have already tried using a different USB cable, but it gave the same error. I have tried installing new USB drivers (which for AMD you have to do manually), but it doesn't seem to either install correctly or make a difference.

Please see attached an overview of my USB Device Manager. What should I change?

2. Something is also going on in the BIOS. I have an extremely long BIOS time of around 45 seconds. Before installing the HTC Vive this was about 30 seconds. Fast Boot is both disabled in the BIOS and in Windows (this only slowed the system down). 

As I said help is greatly appreciated! I depend on this PC for doing my job, so I would really love to fix it. Big thanks in advance!

USB Device Manager 1.png

2 hours ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

Bios wise:

Newest version running?

When checking the official ASUS site, yes. BIOS 0503 in that case.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-ZENITH-EXTREME/HelpDesk_Download/

However, when checking the official ASUS forums, no. Several BIOS versions there, such as UEFI build 0603 and UEFI 9960. 

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?95413-Zenith-Extreme-Beta-UEFI-0603

Which do you recommend that I install?

2 hours ago, Legendarypoet said:

Try this latest combo of UEFI 0046 AND AI Suite.

Ai Suite

Alternative download link for Ai Suite

UEFI 0046

Remember to clear CMOS after flashing. Uninstall AI Suite first, then flash.

This kind of seems like something else, but start there and report back.

Thank you sharing this! I see that you have a 1950X system as well. I'm assuming this works well for you?

To be honest though, I will not install Ai Suite again. It completely bricked my PC and I had to start from scratch with a fresh Windows. 

Sorry to be so skeptical. I just don't want to ruin anything again :( I really do appreciate the help!

3 minutes ago, Xin Zhao said:

AI Suite had an issue where it enabled HPET which completely decimates performance. The version I linked does not do this. That said, if you don't have AI Suite, then ignore that part. This is from raja@asus from the overclocker forum. He is an employee and has assisted me directly when I had a different issue, so he is trustworthy. I got my update from those links. That is the newest version despite the number being low. I have no idea how they come up with them. I am currently using 0046 which address some stability issues for me.

I something goes wrong, there is always BIOS Flashback, so there is a very low chance that you'll brick it for good. You don't even need a CPU or RAM installed for flashaback to work.

On 9/22/2017 at 4:39 PM, Legendarypoet said:

I just installed the latest BIOS which was recommended to me on the ASUS ROG forums (0603). Installing it went perfectly fine. Unfortunately the USB problems still remain. 

Any other suggestions please? :(

This happens with nothing at all in the USB ports?

53 minutes ago, Xin Zhao said:

I just installed the latest BIOS which was recommended to me on the ASUS ROG forums (0603). Installing it went perfectly fine. Unfortunately the USB problems still remain. 

Any other suggestions please? :(

Disabling Fast boot in the bios will make your boot sequence longer. It will check each and every device, whereas enabling fast boot will only check the essentials and will leave the rest to Windows.

The USB, I would unplug all the USB ports and see if the problem is still there. I suspect it's a problem with the port itself and not a device connected to it.

If it is the port then a driver won't fix it. I would just go into bios, find the port and disable it completely. It will take some time to find it tho.

Or just RMA the whole board if you don't mind waiting.

It's not a race to the bottom.

Thanks for the replies guys! The issue is actually fixed already. What I had to do is unplug the breakout box of my HTC Vive. Then plug it back in so it can install new firmware. This resolved the issue!

And about fast boot, it just doesn't work for me. I had it enabled both in the UEFI BIOS and Windows, but it slowed down my boot significantly without reducing the BIOS time.

But now I'm back to 30 seconds boot from 45 seconds, so that's a huge win in my book. I just don't think the X399 platform can boot much faster... 

You need to understand the boot process.

The more you have in the system, the longer the POST process takes.

the less you have, the faster it will be.

It is interesting to see the HTC Vive slow you down by 15 seconds.

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

On 9/29/2017 at 7:03 PM, Jon Jon said:

You need to understand the boot process.

The more you have in the system, the longer the POST process takes.

the less you have, the faster it will be.

It is interesting to see the HTC Vive slow you down by 15 seconds.

Makes perfect sense. I have tons of stuff hooked up to my PC as it has turned into quite the workstation. 

Thankfully the HTC Vive no longer slows down the boot time.