GTX 1080 nowhere near 100% usage on GTA V

XxKINGxX40

Tried benchmarking on Valley and it was on 95-99% most of the time. However, on GTA V (1440P maxed out), it's usually around 50% or so and the fps is pretty bad for a 1080. FPS can easily get to the 50s and 60s. CPU is an i7 7700K, so bottlenecking shouldn't be an issue.

Any thoughts?

PSU is EVGA 600W W1 80+

Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX | Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z270i | CPU Intel i7-7700K | RAM Team Vulcan 16GB DDR4 | GPU Geforce GTX 1080 Ti | Storage Crucial MX300 1TB M.2 | PSU Corsair RM750x

Shouldn't, but might.  What happens if you turn up the resolution?  It should be possible to push the GPU to 100%

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Shouldn't, but might.  What happens if you turn up the resolution?  It should be possible to push the GPU to 100%

It gets to the 95% range sometimes when I tried frame scaling to 1.250x

But on normal resolution usually hangs around 50-60% usage

Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX | Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z270i | CPU Intel i7-7700K | RAM Team Vulcan 16GB DDR4 | GPU Geforce GTX 1080 Ti | Storage Crucial MX300 1TB M.2 | PSU Corsair RM750x

1 minute ago, XxKINGxX40 said:

It gets to the 95% range sometimes when I tried frame scaling to 1.250x

But on normal resolution usually hangs around 50-60% usage

It does seem like it's just not being worked very hard.  Then again, I've found GTA to be unpredictable and broken in the past.  My game always ran perfectly smoothly, but then one day it just would not quite get to 60, even when I massively reduced all settings.  Eventually I used nvidia control panel to reset them, and then put them all back where they were to start with, and suddenly it worked perfectly again xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

It does seem like it's just not being worked very hard.  Then again, I've found GTA to be unpredictable and broken in the past.  My game always ran perfectly smoothly, but then one day it just would not quite get to 60, even when I massively reduced all settings.  Eventually I used nvidia control panel to reset them, and then put them all back where they were to start with, and suddenly it worked perfectly again xD 

Hmm. Might just try that.

Have you watched Science Studios video, his pc had the same problem same game he ended up only being able to fix the problem by wiping the drives and starting with a fresh install of windows.

My favorite restaurant is hooters

Just now, RonaldMcDank120 said:

Have you watched Science Studios video, his pc had the same problem same game he ended up only being able to fix the problem by wiping the drives and starting with a fresh install of windows.

Looking it up as we speak

4 minutes ago, RonaldMcDank120 said:

That's insane, I knew GTA was messed up but this takes it to a whole other level... That said, I should reserve passing judgement since I really don't know all the details about that.  For all I know, there was actually an easy fix he just didn't try.

2 minutes ago, XxKINGxX40 said:

Looking it up as we speak

If you do end up having to wipe your drives, try backing everything up and after installing windows put all your old files and what not back on the pc. If the problem persists use a different drive to install a fresh copy of windows if your problem is gone try and search your backup drive for any files or software that may be causing something like that.

I don't know too much about code only really hardware so I don't know what you would look for or what type of file or code or something that could be causing this.

2 minutes ago, RonaldMcDank120 said:

If you do end up having to wipe your drives, try backing everything up and after installing windows put all your old files and what not back on the pc. If the problem persists use a different drive to install a fresh copy of windows if your problem is gone try and search your backup drive for any files or software that may be causing something like that.

I don't know too much about code only really hardware so I don't know what you would look for or what type of file or code or something that could be causing this.

If you've got things setup properly, your files should be separate from your OS so no need to move them around when reinstalling, and beyond reinstalling the OS and clearing relevant folders like AppData, there's no way doing anything to your other generic files should be necessary or make any difference.

If you've got things setup properly, your files should be separate from your OS so no need to move them around when reinstalling, and beyond reinstalling the OS and clearing relevant folders like AppData, there's no way doing anything to your other generic files should be necessary or make any difference.

Like I said I don't know too much software wise, where I do know a ton about the actual hardware.

15 minutes ago, RonaldMcDank120 said:

Saw the video. Crazy stuff. I'll try clearing the CMOS first and fiddling around with the settings some more before wiping and reinstalling.

What's the VRAM usage with everything maxed out? (And does that include maxing out frame scaling?)

With my FHD 1080p display and everything cranked (including frame scaling), GTA V would show about 9-9.3GB VRAM usage.

The Intel HD 4600 would get ~ 1.5 - 1.8 fps at the beginning of the in-game benchmark, while either the 3GB GTX 1060 got about 0.3 fps there, or the game crashed attempting to load.  (System has 32GB RAM.)

9 minutes ago, XxKINGxX40 said:

Saw the video. Crazy stuff. I'll try clearing the CMOS first and fiddling around with the settings some more before wiping and reinstalling.

To be clear, I do not recommend doing anything drastic at this point, we're far from exhausting software solutions, and I doubt there's any hardware issue.

9 minutes ago, XxKINGxX40 said:

Ya definitely check all your setting and stuff before trying to wipe your drives.

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

To be clear, I do not recommend doing anything drastic at this point, we're far from exhausting software solutions, and I doubt there's any hardware issue.

Definitely. Wiping is last resort.

GTA is a mess, basically any Rockstar Game is for that matter...

Had some strange framedrops over longer periods of time in GTA too with no apparent reason in sight. Depends on tidal wave movement and the earths magnetic spin plus solar flare impact I guess....

So here's something strange. In the city, that's where my biggest problem is. I understand there are buildings and more things for the GPU to render, but the usage is around 55-65% in the city. Country area, around the military base or the prison, usage jumps to 85-95% and FPS is perfectly fine in triple digits, avg. looks like around 120fps.

59 minutes ago, XxKINGxX40 said:

So here's something strange. In the city, that's where my biggest problem is. I understand there are buildings and more things for the GPU to render, but the usage is around 55-65% in the city. Country area, around the military base or the prison, usage jumps to 85-95% and FPS is perfectly fine in triple digits, avg. looks like around 120fps.

are you getting the numbers from GTA:O or Story Mode?

I get around 70~90 fps at 1440p maxed and if I go to LSIA it's over 140

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

10 minutes ago, DXMember said:

are you getting the numbers from GTA:O or Story Mode?

I get around 70~90 fps at 1440p maxed and if I go to LSIA it's over 140

GTA: O

3 minutes ago, XxKINGxX40 said:

GTA: O

make sure you're thrown into a lobby in a wrong region,

compare it against Story Mode and try using Rockstar Support page if you notice significant differences

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K