Compulsory for RGB fans to be connected to RGB headers?

Vishvas Sudarshan

This might be a stupid question, but do RGB fans HAVE TO be connected to an RGB motherboard header to make use of the RGB functionality? 

Is it like, if a mobo doesn't have a header, the lighting can't be used? 

Thanks! 

23 minutes ago, Vishvas Sudarshan said:

This might be a stupid question, but do RGB fans HAVE TO be connected to an RGB motherboard header to make use of the RGB functionality? 

Thanks! 

What fan? What motherboard? With some fans they have their own required or built in controllers

Dendrotoxin

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4Ghz | GPU: Zotac AMP! 1070 @ 2GHz | RAM Crucial Balistix 2x4GB | PSU EVGA G2 750w | Cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 | Case Phanteks Eclipse P400s | Motherboard Gigabyte G1 Gaming Z170 | Storage: Toshiba 3TB HDD and MyDigitalSSD M.2 256GB

Perripherals

Keyboard(s) Razer Ornata Chroma, Razer Tartarus Chroma | Mouse: Logitech G502 Spectrum | Headphone: Audio Technica M40x | Monitor HP 22CWA

17 minutes ago, Vishvas Sudarshan said:

Thanks! 

In all the examples I've seen (Thermaltake Riing, Corsair HD, and NZXT Aer) the fans connect to an included controller that takes care of both the fan speed and RGB functionality. The 4-pin RGB header on a motherboard is entirely different and separate from the 4-pin PWM fan headers. Do not attempt to plug your fans into the RGB header.

All that being said: if you choose to plug the RGB fans into the standard PWM headers instead of the controller, you will retain the PWM functionality of the fan but the lighting will revert to whatever the default state of that fan is.

10 minutes ago, VictorianReaper said:

What fan? What motherboard? With some fans they have their own required or built in controllers

I was asking about the ones that come with the MasterBox Lite 5 RGB.

8 minutes ago, LyondellBasell said:

In all the examples I've seen (Thermaltake Riing, Corsair HD, and NZXT Aer) the fans connect to an included controller that takes care of both the fan speed and RGB functionality. The 4-pin RGB header on a motherboard is entirely different and separate from the 4-pin PWM fan headers. Do not attempt to plug your fans into the RGB header.

All that being said: if you choose to plug the RGB fans into the standard PWM headers instead of the controller, you will retain the PWM functionality of the fan but the lighting will revert to whatever the default state of that fan is.

Okay! Is there a controller in the case mentioned above? Cause I don't see it in their website 

3 minutes ago, Vishvas Sudarshan said:

I was asking about the ones that come with the MasterBox Lite 5 RGB.

Okay! Is there a controller in the case mentioned above? 

No, in this case you'll be running two sets of cables to the fans. One set goes from each fan to a 4-pin PWM header on the motherboard. The other set goes from each fan to the 3-way RGB splitter that's included with the case. That splitter then connects to the RGB header on your motherboard.

4 hours ago, LyondellBasell said:

No, in this case you'll be running two sets of cables to the fans. One set goes from each fan to a 4-pin PWM header on the motherboard. The other set goes from each fan to the 3-way RGB splitter that's included with the case. That splitter then connects to the RGB header on your motherboard.

Okay so if my motherboard doesn't have a header, then no RGB? :( ? 

Isn't there any other way?

7 hours ago, Vishvas Sudarshan said:

Okay so if my motherboard doesn't have a header, then no RGB? :( ? 

Isn't there any other way?

You can buy an aftermarket RGB controller, provided that it has a 4-pin output to connect to your 3-way splitter. 

It's your call on whether or not it's worth it.

Personally, I would recommend getting a different case, or buying a different set of fans. You'd be going through alot of hassle just to make three bottom-tier fans work.

• 2 weeks later...