Motherboard and Cpu for new casual build

Lukep123

Hey guys,

I'm looking to build my family a casual PC, just for serfing the net, streaming some movies, watching videos and casual use, for the living room on the big TV.
I've got some some spare SSDs about, 600w powersupply and ram laying around, however -

CPUs & motherboards are something I have little knowledge about. I'm hoping to get one of those micro motherboards so I can get a very small case as it'll be TV stand.

Anyone have a recommended CPU/Motherboard bundle (I think they're "Micro Motherboards?"). I guess it wouldn't require a great cpu, but I'm mainly just looking for the minimum type of CPU I'm looking for to save as much as possible as the budget is low, I'm not wanting to go overkill at all.

(newbie question I know)

The normal form factors for motherboards are ATX, mATX and mITX, sizes in decreasing order. I'm assuming you mean mATX?

A G4560 or G4600 and a cheap B250 mATX or mITX board should do the trick. Since it's such a low power CPU, I would just recommend whatever B250 board has 4 RAM slots, and preferably an M.2 slot, and is the cheapest. If it's mITX, just ignore the part about RAM slots. 

:)

10 minutes ago, seon123 said:

The normal form factors for motherboards are ATX, mATX and mITX, sizes in decreasing order. I'm assuming you mean mATX?

A G4560 or G4600 and a cheap B250 mATX or mITX board should do the trick. Since it's such a low power CPU, I would just recommend whatever B250 board has 4 RAM slots, and preferably an M.2 slot, and is the cheapest. If it's mITX, just ignore the part about RAM slots. 

Thanks for the quick reply and the motherboard clear up. I'll give it all a Google now. Much appreciated.

Keep in mind that your PSU probably is too big to fit that chassi^

If you don't want to buy I new one I can recommend another.

5 minutes ago, MVPernula said:

Keep in mind that your PSU probably is too big to fit that chassi^

If you don't want to buy I new one I can recommend another.

I think so too - I can probably sell the current 600w and buy another to fit that case, I really like the case, looks very modern for a living room, thanks for the recommendation!

Just now, Lukep123 said:

I think so too - I can probably sell the current 600w and buy another to fit that case, I really like the case, looks very modern for a living room, thanks for the recommendation!

Make sure you buy an SFX psu in that case, those are the only ones that fit the chassi.

If you'd like there are bundles with that chassi and matching psu's at 450w I can add instead?

1 hour ago, MVPernula said:

Make sure you buy an SFX psu in that case, those are the only ones that fit the chassi.

If you'd like there are bundles with that chassi and matching psu's at 450w I can add instead?

Thanks for the solid information, it's much appreciated. I think I've sorted it all out now with all the advice. Nice one!