How does this 2k gaming build look?

MelloJello

I was going for a gold/silver theme with this build. Any suggestions on the parts?. Should i go for an 4770k for better overclocking. This is a purely gaming machine so I'm not sure i would get any benefit from it.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2dKla

if it is just for gaming the performance benefit will be minimal with the upgrade to the 4770k however in the future it may be worth it with games taking advantage of more cores so that choice is really up to you

My build: Cpu: (AMD Ryzen 7 1700) Heatsink: (Deepcool Captain 240 rgb) GPU: (Zotac AMP! GTX 1060 6gb) Ram: (Corsair LPX 8Gb DDR4 2400) Mobo: ( Gigabyte AX370 Gaming K&) Case: (NZXT Phantom 410 Gunmetal) PSU: (Lepa B550 550w) OS:  (Windows 10

Don't need an i7 for gaming

Don't need 16GB for gaming.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

CPU:  AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor  ($129.99 @ NCIX US) 

CPU Cooler:  Cooler Master Glacer 240L 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($146.30 @ Newegg) 

Motherboard:  Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($114.99 @ Newegg) 

Storage:  Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($149.99 @ Amazon) 

Video Card:  EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Video Card  ($745.91 @ Newegg) 

Case Fan:  Noctua NF-F12 PWM 55.0 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($19.99 @ NCIX US) 

Case Fan:  Noctua NF-F12 PWM 55.0 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($19.99 @ NCIX US) 

Power Supply:  Corsair Builder 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ NCIX US) 

Total: $1687.12

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-02 18:15 EST-0500)

Looks totally fine bro although by the time you get this maybe broadwell might be out I have no idea what the future holds in the next 3-6 months but you'll have a better experience probably by then whether you get a haswell/broadwell system.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Don't need an i7 for gaming

Don't need 16GB for gaming.

Never hurts to have more ram.

That build would look sweet!  But I don't really know that you need to buy those extra case fans, as the R4 already comes with at least 2, and your H100i comes with 2 really nice fans for cooling your CPU.  Just a thought.  Good luck!

Never hurts to have more ram.

Except when other things deserve the money more.....?

Current rig: i5 4670K | GTX 670 | Asus Z87I-Pro | Silverstone Strider Plus 600W | Custom mITX case | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Samsung 840 120GB | G430 | CM Storm Quickfire Pro - MX Red | LG 21.5"

2 really nice fans for cooling

LOL!

Current rig: i5 4670K | GTX 670 | Asus Z87I-Pro | Silverstone Strider Plus 600W | Custom mITX case | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Samsung 840 120GB | G430 | CM Storm Quickfire Pro - MX Red | LG 21.5"

780Ti's aren't worth it. Wait for a nonrefrence 290 an put them in crossfire. Elric's video shows that one 290 and one 780Ti performance within 5-10 frames of each other when the 290 is OC'd. And its $300 less. 

CPU:  AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor  ($129.99 @ NCIX US) 
CPU Cooler:  Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($89.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard:  Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($89.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory:  Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($134.99 @ NCIX US) 
Storage:  Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($149.99 @ Amazon) 
Case:  Corsair C70 Gunmetal Black (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($97.99 @ Microcenter) 
Other: Non Refrence R9-290 ($450.00)
Other: Non Refrence R9-290 ($450.00)
Other: Corsair fans that look good but I was too lazy to add. 2x 120 sp quiet for the rad ($25.00)
Total: $1767.92
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-02 18:49 EST-0500)

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

Sorry, I didn't know unbranded SP120's were so funny.

I'm not attacking you, just the product. Everyone I've known who has owned one says the fans are noisy. SP120s aren't quite as bad but still louder than a lot of other cheaper fans.

I'm not attacking you, just the product. Everyone I've known who has owned one says the fans are noisy. SP120s aren't quite as bad but still louder than a lot of other cheaper fans.

Ahh, haha yea I have heard things about the fans being noisy.  I guess noise really isn't an issue for me because I use a headset :P

Except when other things deserve the money more.....?

Even then, i'd rather have 16GB's of ram over a semi better GPU at this price. 

I was going for a gold/silver theme with this build. Any suggestions on the parts?. Should i go for an 4770k for better overclocking. This is a purely gaming machine so I'm not sure i would get any benefit from it.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2dKla

i am starting to support getting 16 gb of ram becuze technoligy in gaming starting to need more ram and DDR4 is coming soon and you maybe cant find your RAM model and upgrade in the future becuze they stop selling them. so i higly recommend getting 16 gb ram. but everything else looks fine

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

Even then, i'd rather have 16GB's of ram over a semi better GPU at this price. 

For what? If it is gaming then that is a horrible idea.

i am starting to support getting 16 gb of ram becuze technoligy in gaming starting to need more ram and DDR4 is coming soon and you maybe cant find your RAM model and upgrade in the future becuze they stop selling them. so i higly recommend getting 16 gb ram. but everything else looks fine

I highly doubt games are suddenly going to need 3 or 4 times as much RAM in the space of a few years. Also, you won't need to find the same model of RAM, two different kits in separate channels is perfectly fine most of the time.

For what? If it is gaming then that is a horrible idea.

Never know what you might do in the future. it never hurts to have more ram if your budget allows it.

Never know what you might do in the future. it never hurts to have more ram if your budget allows it.

But buying more RAM is an easy upgrade to do when it is necessary. Buying stuff just because you "might use it one day" is completely pointless, unless you have money to throw away - which for a gaming build at 2K, you don't.

I highly doubt games are suddenly going to need 3 or 4 times as much RAM in the space of a few years. Also, you won't need to find the same model of RAM, two different kits in separate channels is perfectly fine most of the time.

but it will look stupid.... also he have nothing else to spend his money one on the pc. he got the best single GPU in the world so why not 16 gb ram? suddelnly he decide to start randering a fue times. and i know rendering eats lots of ram

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

But buying more RAM is an easy upgrade to do when it is necessary. Buying stuff just because you "might use it one day" is completely pointless, unless you have money to throw away - which for a gaming build at 2K, you don't.

At 2K the budget allows for 16GB's of ram and a GPU like a 780TI. No reason to go to 8GB's of RAM at this price point.

At 2K the budget allows for 16GB's of ram and a GPU like a 780TI. No reason to go to 8GB's of RAM at this price point.

but it will look stupid.... also he have nothing else to spend his money one on the pc. he got the best single GPU in the world so why not 16 gb ram? suddelnly he decide to start randering a fue times. and i know rendering eats lots of ram

I have restricted internet so I can't see his build, and I don't know the prices of hardware in the US very well. I would focus on everything else first though, and I also think as mentioned above that CFX 290 is the way to go. Judging by cjeffcoatjr's build, I think he could fit 2x290, 4670K or 8350 with decent motherboard and aftermarket cooling, quality power supply (HCG, Strider Plus, CM V series etc.), 8GB RAM, chosen case and extras, and then if there is room, an upgrade to 16GB.

I have restricted internet so I can't see his build, and I don't know the prices of hardware in the US very well. I would focus on everything else first though, and I also think as mentioned above that CFX 290 is the way to go. Judging by cjeffcoatjr's build, I think he could fit 2x290, 4670K or 8350 with decent motherboard and aftermarket cooling, quality power supply (HCG, Strider Plus, CM V series etc.), 8GB RAM, chosen case and extras, and then if there is room, an upgrade to 16GB.

why not keep the 780 TI and upgrade to 2 of them in the future!

there is like 4 vs 1

4 says keep 16 gb

You says upgrade later

So i guess 16 gb is way to go. He wont regret it..

16 GB of ram won't hurt, but 8 GB will be fine for gaming now

why not keep the 780 TI and upgrade to 2 of them in the future!

there is like 4 vs 1

4 says keep 16 gb

You says upgrade later

So i guess 16 gb is way to go. He wont regret it..

Actually, I believe it is 3 vs 2, and one of those 3 hasn't actually argued for or against.

As for not regretting it, I know I would, because more than 8GB won't be used at all and will not improve performance by 0.000000001%

Why settle for one 780 Ti now, which is a bad deal in terms of price to performance, when you can get 2x290 in that budget and destroy it?!

Personally, I don't care what the OP decides, and there is nothing wrong with getting 16GB of RAM, but you are not making a good point at all, and I still say that the rest of the PC is more important.

Actually, I believe it is 3 vs 2, and one of those 3 hasn't actually argued for or against.

As for not regretting it, I know I would, because more than 8GB won't be used at all and will not improve performance by 0.000000001%

Why settle for one 780 Ti now, which is a bad deal in terms of price to performance, when you can get 2x290 in that budget and destroy it?!

Personally, I don't care what the OP decides, and there is nothing wrong with getting 16GB of RAM, but you are not making a good point at all, and I still say that the rest of the PC is more important.

But two 780Ti's destroy anything...