What's up with my computer

LTSU

So, I have couple of problems with my pc (about 2 years old) and if someone knows how to fix any of them, I'd be very thankful.

The biggest issue is lack of storage on my c-drive. The problem is just that I have about 5gb of files on it, windows 10 and about 20gb of programs. Everything should take about 60gb max from the 120gb ssd right? Well for some reason I only have about 1 gb free. What's taking all of my storage?

The second problem is that every once in a while my mouse first starts moving very slowly, then it freezes and then my screen goes black. I have no idea what's causing that but it can't be overheating since nothing is running too hot.

Third problem is that I have 16gb of ram but it never fills over 50%. It doesn't matter how many programs I have open or how much my computer would actually want to use ram it just doesn't go over 8gb..

The fourth problem is really not related to my pc but anyone know how to make it so that Vegas Pro 14 wouldn't put any temp files to c-drive. Evry time I open some big project in vegas, it immediatly fills the rest of my c-drive..

You might be storing files on it without knowing it.

"User" usually goes under C:, which basically means that your downloads folder and everything like that will automatically save onto that drive.

Check the C drive under "My computer" and look through different folders to see what's hiding there.

Mouse moving slowly? As in input lag or sensitivity?

About the RAM, press ctrl+shft+esc to open task manager. If you have windows 10 and go under "performance" you can see your RAM usage by pressing on it.

Look for "Avaliable RAM". If it says 16GB or 15.9 something you're fine.

I don't use Sony Vegas, but most softwares file paths can be edited somehow.

Google this yourself a bit, I'm sure it'll be pretty simple once you find a sollution.

28 minutes ago, MVPernula said:

You might be storing files on it without knowing it.

"User" usually goes under C:, which basically means that your downloads folder and everything like that will automatically save onto that drive.

Check the C drive under "My computer" and look through different folders to see what's hiding there.

Mouse moving slowly? As in input lag or sensitivity?

About the RAM, press ctrl+shft+esc to open task manager. If you have windows 10 and go under "performance" you can see your RAM usage by pressing on it.

Look for "Avaliable RAM". If it says 16GB or 15.9 something you're fine.

I don't use Sony Vegas, but most softwares file paths can be edited somehow.

Google this yourself a bit, I'm sure it'll be pretty simple once you find a sollution.

I checked all folders on C: and for example downloads folder didn't have anything in it (chrome always asks where I want to download and I always choose my D: drive.) I also wasn't able to find any other folder that had lot of stuff in it because I never save anything on that drive..

With mouse moving slowly I mean it starts lagging and jumping from place to place and then the whole computer freezes and screen turns black.

Task manager shows 15,9gb of available ram but I dont understand why nothing ever takes any of the other half. If I have a lot of things open and play some game it sits at 7,9gb never using the other half

In vegas there is a temp file folder setting, even though I've changed it to my B: drive, it still fills my C:drive for some reason.

Do you mine? If you're storing a lock chain on your PC it takes up massive amounts of space

That's an F in the profile pic

3 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

Do you mine? If you're storing a lock chain on your PC it takes up massive amounts of space

No I don't because my gpu is so crappy that I couldn't ever profit out of it

39 minutes ago, LTSU said:

I checked all folders on C: and for example downloads folder didn't have anything in it (chrome always asks where I want to download and I always choose my D: drive.) I also wasn't able to find any other folder that had lot of stuff in it because I never save anything on that drive..

With mouse moving slowly I mean it starts lagging and jumping from place to place and then the whole computer freezes and screen turns black.

Task manager shows 15,9gb of available ram but I dont understand why nothing ever takes any of the other half. If I have a lot of things open and play some game it sits at 7,9gb never using the other half

In vegas there is a temp file folder setting, even though I've changed it to my B: drive, it still fills my C:drive for some reason.

RAM: Your PC is going to use as much RAM as it needs. Windows has some, your programs get some. And if it doesn't need more than 8 it will not take more than 8. You'd be surprised by how little RAM some larger programs need

Vegas: the way programs on hard drives (and SSD) work is that a program is read only. Your computer opens it and makes a temp copy on the same drive from read/write capabilities. It does this for every file you open in Vegas. If your stuff is on C drive with 1GB left, it could very well be taking up rest of the space and running our of disk allocation.

Mouse: could be one or two things. Your main drive is full.  SSDs slow down drastically when they are full because of how they use page data for file modification. If your computer is trying to modify files on the disk and it doesn't have enough space, that's most likely your issue.

It could also be a virus or malware. That could take up space and slow you down, but you'd have to have space to download and run an AV if you don't have one.

The screen going black could also be from system hangs related to a full main drive. Your computer cannot just push everything else to RAM or another drive. Doesn't work like that. It hangs because there isn't enough space for file allocation and has to force things to shut down on order to free up space to function.

It could also be indicative of a failing GPU, but the only way to know for sure would be to free up space and see if that fixes your issues. It might not be beneficial to stress test when you don't have space.

Lastly,

Disk Space: Go into Programs and Features and actually see how much data your programs take up. If you have some basic programs with not much in the way of large game files, I would expect closer to 80GB instead of 60. You can always run the system cleaner to purge temp files and Windows backup/restore points to free up space.

What I do, and would recommend in this case, is relocate the Downloads, Documents, Music, Videos files to another drive. Just make the same folder names on the new drive, then go to the original folders and change the path. Windows can move the files for you. That will help free up some space.

Again, if you have a virus or something of that nature, it could cause space issues by filling you up with garbage.

However, with Vegas Pro, I'd probably assume large program files, which then cause your drive to exceed it's space allocation, and cause the many issues you're experiencing.

So, I'd recommend moving your files, uninstalling some programs you do not need on your main drive, install them onto your storage drive. Make sure Vegas isn't saving everything to the main drive as well. Once you have the space figured out, the mouse and screen flash will either be resolved or not. If resolved, you know it wasn't due to space. If not resolved, at least you have freed u space tobetter diagnose and resolve any other issues.

1 hour ago, Ryujin2003 said:

RAM: Your PC is going to use as much RAM as it needs. Windows has some, your programs get some. And if it doesn't need more than 8 it will not take more than 8. You'd be surprised by how little RAM some larger programs need

Vegas: the way programs on hard drives (and SSD) work is that a program is read only. Your computer opens it and makes a temp copy on the same drive from read/write capabilities. It does this for every file you open in Vegas. If your stuff is on C drive with 1GB left, it could very well be taking up rest of the space and running our of disk allocation.

Mouse: could be one or two things. Your main drive is full.  SSDs slow down drastically when they are full because of how they use page data for file modification. If your computer is trying to modify files on the disk and it doesn't have enough space, that's most likely your issue.

It could also be a virus or malware. That could take up space and slow you down, but you'd have to have space to download and run an AV if you don't have one.

The screen going black could also be from system hangs related to a full main drive. Your computer cannot just push everything else to RAM or another drive. Doesn't work like that. It hangs because there isn't enough space for file allocation and has to force things to shut down on order to free up space to function.

It could also be indicative of a failing GPU, but the only way to know for sure would be to free up space and see if that fixes your issues. It might not be beneficial to stress test when you don't have space.

Lastly,

Disk Space: Go into Programs and Features and actually see how much data your programs take up. If you have some basic programs with not much in the way of large game files, I would expect closer to 80GB instead of 60. You can always run the system cleaner to purge temp files and Windows backup/restore points to free up space.

What I do, and would recommend in this case, is relocate the Downloads, Documents, Music, Videos files to another drive. Just make the same folder names on the new drive, then go to the original folders and change the path. Windows can move the files for you. That will help free up some space.

Again, if you have a virus or something of that nature, it could cause space issues by filling you up with garbage.

However, with Vegas Pro, I'd probably assume large program files, which then cause your drive to exceed it's space allocation, and cause the many issues you're experiencing.

So, I'd recommend moving your files, uninstalling some programs you do not need on your main drive, install them onto your storage drive. Make sure Vegas isn't saving everything to the main drive as well. Once you have the space figured out, the mouse and screen flash will either be resolved or not. If resolved, you know it wasn't due to space. If not resolved, at least you have freed u space tobetter diagnose and resolve any other issues.

I guess I'll have to try to free some space. The thing with ram is that I used to have only 8gb and every time I was editing it maxed out. Now with 16gb doing same things before and some other stuff, it still never goes over 8gb which I don't understand.. but thanks for your reply, very informative :)

1 hour ago, LTSU said:

I guess I'll have to try to free some space. The thing with ram is that I used to have only 8gb and every time I was editing it maxed out. Now with 16gb doing same things before and some other stuff, it still never goes over 8gb which I don't understand.. but thanks for your reply, very informative :)

If you installed additional RAM,  clear CMOS if you haven't done so yet. I'll look and see if I can find anything related to memory addressing issues after RAM upgrade generally it's plug, clear CMOS, then play.

1 hour ago, Ryujin2003 said:

If you installed additional RAM,  clear CMOS if you haven't done so yet. I'll look and see if I can find anything related to memory addressing issues after RAM upgrade generally it's plug, clear CMOS, then play.

I haven't cleared cmos (didn't know that was a thing) but I'll definately try that 

Did Sony Vegas or any other program create proxies?

Make sure to tag and/or quote people so they get notified... :P:D 

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage
                                                                                                     AOC C24G1 / BenQ GW2270H(rarely overclocked to 87Hz :P )
                                                                               Razer Blackwidow / Redragon Kumara / Logitech G Pro Wiress / Sennheiser HD 559

Microsoft LifeCam Studio / Tonor BM700 microphone

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82 / Canon EOS 80D

#PCMasterrace

About your C drive: I would use a program such as space sniffer to have a visual representation of large files and folders. This way it is much easier to spot what is taking so much space. Pagefile and hibernation file can be pretty large. You might want to disable them depending on how you use your computer.

46 minutes ago, Jonas_2909 said:

Did Sony Vegas or any other program create proxies?

I think Vegas creates at least audio proxies but I can't find them anywhere

19 minutes ago, pentotark said:

About your C drive: I would use a program such as space sniffer to have a visual representation of large files and folders. This way it is much easier to spot what is taking so much space. Pagefile and hibernation file can be pretty large. You might want to disable them depending on how you use your computer.

I actually used program called windirstat and was able to find couple large files I didn't need

21 hours ago, LTSU said:

I think Vegas creates at least audio proxies but I can't find them anywhere

Just wondering... Once I made a 10 minute 1080p proxy in hitfilm which was about 95 gigs large...

Make sure to tag and/or quote people so they get notified... :P:D 

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage
                                                                                                     AOC C24G1 / BenQ GW2270H(rarely overclocked to 87Hz :P )
                                                                               Razer Blackwidow / Redragon Kumara / Logitech G Pro Wiress / Sennheiser HD 559

Microsoft LifeCam Studio / Tonor BM700 microphone

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82 / Canon EOS 80D

#PCMasterrace