Seagate FireCuda Good Second Drive?

JS998

Hello :D

I am looking to buy a second drive for games, school stuf and not so often used programs.

Will be Seagate FireCuda SSHD 1TB good buy or should I stick with standard HDDs from WD/Seagate?

8 minutes ago, JS998 said:

Hello :D

I am looking to buy a second drive for games, school stuf and not so often used programs.

Will be Seagate FireCuda SSHD 1TB good buy or should I stick with standard HDDs from WD/Seagate?

standard hdd

Standard HDD

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

26 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

standard hdd

25 minutes ago, JDE said:

Standard HDD

I should write there that I want something that is quiet.
And why should I go with standard HDD? Do SSHDs have shorter lifespan? 

1 minute ago, JS998 said:

I should write there that I want something that is quiet.
And why should I go with standard HDD? Do SSHDs have shorter lifespan? 

They are $10-20 more and barely any faster.

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

2 minutes ago, JDE said:

They are $10-20 more and barely any faster.

What about the noise?

Like FireCuda 2.5" vs. BarraCuda 2.5"

Just now, JS998 said:

What about the noise?

A SSHD is just a normal HDD with some software tricks to use a cache. Same sound.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

Just now, JDE said:

A SSHD is just a normal HDD with some software tricks to use a cache. Same sound.

Thanks for the info! :D 

I will go with BarraCuda then.

On 9/14/2017 at 2:25 AM, Tommygun2929 said:

If you're going with a standard hdd then go with wd black ?

Less noise? 

The FireCuda 1TB 2.5" (ST1000LX015) has a 5 year warranty whereas the standard BarraCuda has a 2 year. The FireCuda will give you better performance than the BarraCuda 1TB 2.5" (ST1000LM048) after you've used the drive for a little while. This is because the FireCuda has an SSD cache on which the drive intuitively places your most frequently accessed data, then has a larger traditional spinning storage space as well. After it learns what you're using most, it prioritizes those things on the SSD portion so they load faster.

Here are a couple of (gaming) charts if you're wondering how they stack up:

The first one compares startup times across several popular games on a traditional spinning 7200 RPM HDD, our SSHD, and an M.2 SSD (128GB). The white is for SSD, the orange is for our SSHD, and the gray is for the 7200 spinning HDD.

Startup Times

The next one compares the first 3 days of gaming storage utilization across several popular titles, and SYSmark ratings from various drive types and combinations. First of the grays is 7200 RPM 1TB spinning HDD, second (lightest gray) is our SSHD, third (darkest gray) is an SSD + 7200 RPM HDD combo, purple is SSD + our SSHD combo, and lastly blue is SSD.

First 3 Days Gaming Storage Utilization

Regardless of which drive is right for you in the end, thank you for considering Seagate!

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

4 minutes ago, seagate_surfer said:

The FireCuda 1TB 2.5" (ST1000LX015) has a 5 year warranty whereas the standard BarraCuda has a 2 year. The FireCuda will give you better performance than the BarraCuda 1TB 2.5" (ST1000LM048) after you've used the drive for a little while. This is because the FireCuda has an SSD cache on which the drive intuitively places your most frequently accessed data, then has a larger traditional spinning storage space as well. After it learns what you're using most, it prioritizes those things on the SSD portion so they load faster.

The first one compares startup times across several popular games on a traditional spinning 7200 RPM HDD, our SSHD, and an M.2 SSD (128GB). The white is for SSD, the orange is for our SSHD, and the gray is for the 7200 spinning HDD.

Startup Times

The next one compares the first 3 days of gaming storage utilization across several popular titles, and SYSmark ratings from various drive types and combinations. First of the grays is 7200 RPM 1TB spinning HDD, second (lightest gray) is our SSHD, third (darkest gray) is an SSD + 7200 RPM HDD combo, purple is SSD + our SSHD combo, and lastly blue is SSD.

Regardless of which drive is right for you in the end, thank you for considering Seagate!

Those load times look pretty good.

Do you know, on average, how many games the FireCuda's SSD can cache before running out?

17 minutes ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

Those load times look pretty good.

Do you know, on average, how many games the FireCuda's SSD can cache before running out?

I believe the cache is 8GB in size, I personally got a 2TB one as the prices were the exact same as a normal HDD when I bought it.

6 minutes ago, tjcater said:

I believe the cache is 8GB in size, I personally got a 2TB one as the prices were the exact same as a normal HDD when I bought it.

The FireCuda (at the moment) seems to be about $20 more than a standard drive.

If those numbers are accurate, and as long as I can cache a majority of my games, and not just a select few, then I would consider the extra price worth it.

28 minutes ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

If those numbers are accurate, and as long as I can cache a majority of my games, and not just a select few, then I would consider the extra price worth it.

Just to make sure if I wasn't too clear, the 2TB is the HDD section and not cache.

5 minutes ago, tjcater said:

Just to make sure if I wasn't too clear, the 2TB is the HDD section and not cache.

8GB cache, I know.

i'd go with wd 1tb blue. They are cheaper and same performance

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z690-E GAMING WIFI ATX LGA1700
RAM: Kingston FURY Beast 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5200 CL40
Storage: Boot Drive: Samsung 960 Evo 250GB M.2 NVMe SSD

Other Storage: Mass Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 7200 RPM, Western Digital Caviar Blue 2TB 5400 RPM, Scratch Disk: Intel X25-E SSDSA2SH032G1 32GB SATA II SSD, Backup Drive: Seagate ST3160318AS 160GB HDD
GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB ROG STRIX GAMING OC
Case: Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW ATX Mid Tower
PSU: Silverstone Strider Platinum S 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX
Monitors: Primary: Samsung S34E790C 34" 3440*1440 60 Hz UWQHD; Secondary: LG 34UM58-P 34" 2560*1080 75 Hz UWFHD; Tertiary: BenQ GL2460 24" 1920*1080 60 Hz FHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70 Mk. 2 RGB Gaming Keyboard - Black

Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB FPS Gaming Mouse - Black, Logitech MX Master 3

Headphones: Corsair VOID PRO Surround Cherry 7.1ch

Speakers: Logitech Z213 7W 2.1ch

Laptop:

Asus Zenbook Pro 15 (UX535Li-E2018T) with Intel Core i7-10750-H 12MB @ 2.60GHz (Turbo @ 5.0 GHz), 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 2933 MHz SODIMM and Intel(R) UHD Graphics; NVidia Geforce GTX 1650-Ti with Max-Q Design, using WDC NVMe PC SN730 SDBPNTY-1T00-1102, on a 96-Wh battery

NAS Specs:

Make & Model: QNAP TS-1277

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @Stock

Hard Drives: x8 WD Red 2TB

SSDs (2.5"): x1 Samsung 850 Evo 250GB V-NAND (cache drive)

M.2 SSDs: None

RAID Configuration: RAID 6 (excluding SSD)

Total Storage: 12TB

Expansion Cards: None

13 hours ago, seagate_surfer said:

Startup Times

What about the noise? 

16 hours ago, tjcater said:

You're correct, the SSD portion is 8GB.

16 hours ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

The SSD cache is based on what you're accessing most frequently, and is done intuitively, so basically the biggest benefit you'd see (aside from the operating system loading up) is from playing a single game, especially if it's an open-world type game where you move into new areas of the map as they load. There is also a fairly significant warranty period difference.

3 hours ago, JS998 said:

What about the noise? 

The noise specs for the FireCuda 1TB 2.5" (ST1000LX015) are the same as the BarraCuda 1TB 2.5" (ST1000LM048) with a typical idle of 2.0 bels and a typical seek of 2.2 bels. The spec sheets have been linked in the model numbers.

Edited by seagate_surfer
elaborated a bit on warranty information

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

• 2 years later...

SSHD'S can last long .... i currently have an imac with a fusion drive from LATE 2012 .... we are 2020 and it is still going strong and fast !!