Cheap Server Under $100

Hey Guys! I know you're great on the forums so I'll ask you guys for help with this. I need a server under $100 (AUD or USD). Thanks Guys!

Um...

What are the requirements for the server?

NAS?

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

8 minutes ago, Tech Cheeky said:

Hey Guys! I know you're great on the forums so I'll ask you guys for help with this. I need a server under $100 (AUD or USD). Thanks Guys!

If you have any existing PC just add Virtual Machine in it and save money if not then tell your requirements...

There are alot of older, very cheap rack servers you can find on ebay for around 100-200 if that tickles your pickle. 

9 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Um...

What are the requirements for the server?

NAS?

The Requirements Are Something That Runs Windows Server 2008/2012

Just now, Tech Cheeky said:

The Requirements Are Something That Runs Windows Server 2008/2012

so take any junk system, and put windows server on it.

done.

what will you be doing with it?

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

14 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

so take any junk system, and put windows server on it.

done.

what will you be doing with it?

Using It As A Domain Controller and a localhost server for testing

Could you use a VM instead? if you have a pro version of windows you can enable Hyper V.

I know this isn't the correct answer to you're question but still a decent idea.

**Edit** Rasberry Pi's can be a nice cheap alternative for testing systems.

Also checkout r/homelab & r/homelabsales

Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel Core i5 3570k 4.2 GHz, EVGA GTX 780, Corsair Vengeance 16Gb ,

Samsung EVO 250&500Gb, Western Digital Black 2TB,  Corsair RM 750

Custom Water Loop

CPU Block Koolance 380iGPU Block EKWB Clean CSQPump Laing DDC w/ EKWB X-RES 100Radiatiors NexXxoS Monsta 240 & Swiftech 240x35Tubing PrimoChill Primoflex Advanced LRT Elegant White 3/8" ID 5/8" ODFittings White Monsoon Free Centre Compression Fittings 3/8" ID 5/8" ODFans6x Noctua NF-F12 w/Noctua LNA Adaptors

18 minutes ago, kachel94 said:

Could you use a VM instead? if you have a pro version of windows you can enable Hyper V.

I know this isn't the correct answer to you're question but still a decent idea.

**Edit** Rasberry Pi's can be a nice cheap alternative for testing systems.

Also checkout r/homelab & r/homelabsales

But I have Raspberry Pi and I dont have windows pro! I just need suitable server for windows server 2008!

To my knowledge a Windows Server OS software licence ALONE could cost you $100USD. If you already have that your best option is probably to find some low end desktop or more appropriately a low end server that was to be binned and convert it for your purposes.

Just now, Tech Cheeky said:

But I have Raspberry Pi and I dont have windows pro! I just need suitable server for windows server 2008!

Sooo you're saying you don't want to use the PI? Check you Home lab sales as mentioned you might find something but im assuming you're from AU the best place to look would be gumtree or ebay. If you can find some old hardware from family or something might be a good bet too.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

To my knowledge a Windows Server OS software licence ALONE could cost you $100USD.

You can get a 60 day trial if hes just mucking around.

Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel Core i5 3570k 4.2 GHz, EVGA GTX 780, Corsair Vengeance 16Gb ,

Custom Water Loop

CPU Block Koolance 380iGPU Block EKWB Clean CSQPump Laing DDC w/ EKWB X-RES 100Radiatiors NexXxoS Monsta 240 & Swiftech 240x35Tubing PrimoChill Primoflex Advanced LRT Elegant White 3/8" ID 5/8" ODFittings White Monsoon Free Centre Compression Fittings 3/8" ID 5/8" ODFans6x Noctua NF-F12 w/Noctua LNA Adaptors

2 minutes ago, kachel94 said:

Sooo you're saying you don't want to use the PI? Check you Home lab sales as mentioned you might find something but im assuming you're from AU the best place to look would be gumtree or ebay. If you can find some old hardware from family or something might be a good bet too.

You can get a 60 day trial if hes just mucking around.

I have 57 liscenses from friend of the Enterprise Edition

1 minute ago, Tech Cheeky said:

I have 57 liscenses from friend of the Enterprise Edition

Sounds like one of those things i wouldn't be telling many people xD

You got a spare for me?

Custom Water Loop

http://ebay.com.au 

Buy the cheapest thing you can find with at least 2 cores. 

I don't understand why you'd want such cheap hardware. Just virtualise it if its for learning and testing. If you're learning how to manage DC's for a job, then you'll need to know about virtualisation as thats where everything is now. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA