Use broken microUSB wall adapter to power fan?

babadoctor

My microUSB wall adapter broke :( I wanted to use it to power the fan in the picture, could I do this, or is it too dangerous?

Picture of fan and wall adapter

MEg7EPR.jpg Wall adapter specs:

17lhd08.jpg

So far I have only gotten the fan to power on with a 9v battery, but the only two types i have tried are 1.5v AA batteries and one 9v

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

If only the cable broke , then yes it will be fine. When installing check current with multimeter and add a small resistor if current is above 700mA (the rating of the power supply).

Good luck with those small wires, they will be finicky.

Cut 10 cm to connector, split the wires, then remove plastic from them. If you have multimeter, figure out the polarity of wires, or if you dont have one, just test on fan. Fan probably wont't spin as fast as it would, around 1/2 speed, but if that's fine for you, you can do it.

15 hours ago, babadoctor said:

My microUSB wall adapter broke :( I wanted to use it to power the fan in the picture, could I do this, or is it too dangerous?

Picture of fan and wall adapter

Wall adapter specs:

-snip-

So far I have only gotten the fan to power on with a 9v battery, but the only two types i have tried are 1.5v AA batteries and one 9v

What are the input specs of that Fan? Most likely it's a 12V fan. At 5V it might not even spin (But if it did spin, it should spin extremely slowly).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

What are the input specs of that Fan? Most likely it's a 12V fan. At 5V it might not even spin (But if it did spin, it should spin extremely slowly).

I will have to check.. I don't think i saw any specs on the fan but give me a second

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

8 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

https://www.amazon.com/Delta-Coolermaster-70mm-Fan-AFB0712MB/dp/B000YCRSR2

This is the fan, it is 12v (at 0.24 amps)

1 minute ago, babadoctor said:

I will have to check.. I don't think i saw any specs on the fan but give me a second

Check both "sides" of the centre piece (the part with the Cooler Master sticker). It should be on the reverse. Though it might not say.

Most likely it'l be 12V and probably less than 500mA (possibly as low as 100 or 200 mA).

For reference, a Corsair SP120 has the following specs:

12V 0.18A

Scalable down to 7V

Lower voltage = lower RPM. After 7V, there's not enough power to overcome frictional resistance to actually make the fan spin.

Keep in mind, this is for the SP120 specifically - other fans may vary, but odds are, you're gonna need 7V minimum.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, babadoctor said:

So that's 12V 0.14A (0.14A = 140mA)

So you can certainly try a 5V adapter. It has more than enough amps, but the low volts may well be too low to be useful. Worth a shot if you're otherwise just going to throw out the 5V adapter.

Just now, dalekphalm said:

So that's 12V 0.14A (0.14A = 140mA)

So you can certainly try a 5V adapter. It has more than enough amps, but the low volts may well be too low to be useful. Worth a shot if you're otherwise just going to throw out the 5V adapter.

I'll try it right now and see if it does anything, now that I know it should be safe :) 

7 minutes ago, babadoctor said:

I'll try it right now and see if it does anything, now that I know it should be safe :) 

Just don't cross the wires or touch both ends at the same time while plugged in ;)

4 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Just don't cross the wires or touch both ends at the same time while plugged in ;)

Do you happen to know what the positive and negative terminals for a microusb cable are?