Choosing a Laptop

I am currently in the market of looking for a new laptop (my old one does not handle multitasking very well)

Current System

• Aspire E5-772G ( 17.3" - i5-5200U - 1TB HDD - 8GB RAM )

I currently have two laptops selected

• ROG Strix GL702ZC (17" - Ryzen 7 1600 - 256 GB SSD - 16 GB RAM - RX 580)
  • Sager NP8370 (Clevo PA71HP6-G) (17.3" - 256 GB SSD + 1 TB HHD - 16 GB RAM)
  • SAGER NP5872 (CLEVO N870HL) ( 17.3" - 256 GB SSD + 1TB HHD - 32 GB RAM)

• AORUS X7 V6 ( 17.3" - i7-6820HK - 512 GB SSD + 1TB HHD - 16 GB RAM )

• Razer Blade Pro 17 ( 2017 ) 1080p (17.3" - i7-7700K - 16 GB RAM - 256GB SSD + 2 TB HDD)
  • Gigabyte P57Xv7 ( 17.3" - i7-7700HQ - 256 GB SSD + 1TB HHD - 16G RAM )
  • Dell XPS 15 ( 15.6" - i7-7700HQ - 512 GB SSD - 16 GB RAM - GTX 1050 )

I would like to run some VMs (more than 1), couple instances of an IDE ( InteliJ Idea and Rider / Visual Studio ), and sideload Ubuntu (Driver support).

My Budget is $2500 USD, I'm hoping not to spend that much but I will for premium build quality. No Macbooks

Edit: I decided to go with the Sager NP8370 / Clevo PA71HP6-G (i7-7700HQ - 2 x 8 GB RAM - 250 GB 960 EVO, 1 TB 7200 RPM HDD), I am currently waiting for a sale before I pick this up as I am in no rush.

Both of those laptops have some serious heat issues. The XPS 15's cooling doesn't cover the VRMs and they reach 120*C thus causing the components to throttle. The Gigabyte P57 lets the inner components run around 90*C under heavy load and also results in throttling and potential hardware degradation. If you want a powerful ultrabook, the Asus ZenBook Pro UX550 is a better option. If you want a desktop-replacement (larger and more powerful) then I'd suggest looking at the Asus G701 or MSI GT73. If you need it to be 15.6" then look at the MSI GT62 or Alienware 15 R4. If all you want is top-tier build quality, then I'd skip the MSI options since those have mediocre top panels and also consider the Alienware 14 OLED.

24 minutes ago, Xsais said:

I am currently in the market of looking for a new laptop (my old one does not handle multitasking very well)

Current System

• Aspire E5-772G ( 17.3" - i5-5200U - 1TB HDD - 8GB RAM )

I currently have two laptops selected

• Gigabyte P57Xv7 ( 17.3" - i7-7700HQ - 256 GB SSD + 1TB HHD - 16G RAM )
  • Dell XPS 15 ( 15.6" - i7-7700HQ - 512 GB SSD - 16 GB RAM - GTX 1050 )

I would like to run some VMs (more than 1), couple instances of an IDE ( InteliJ Idea and Rider / Visual Studio ), and sideload Ubuntu (Driver support).

My Budget is $2500 USD, I'm hoping not to spend that much but I will for premium build quality. No Macbooks

check these models:

-clevo p650hp6 with a i7-7820hk cpu

-clevo p750dm2 with a delidded i7-7700k desktop cpu

-msi 16L13 with a delidded i7-7700k desktop cpu

-clevo p775dm3 with a delidded i7-7700k desktop cpu

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, sicily428 said:

check these models:

-clevo p650hp6 with a i7-7820hk cpu

-clevo p750dm2 with a delidded i7-7700k desktop cpu

-msi 16L13 with a delidded i7-7700k desktop cpu

-clevo p775dm3 with a delidded i7-7700k desktop cpu

Do bear in mind that the desktop CPUs run VERY hot without a delid. Also, the battery life on those machines is not great. (I am assuming the OP wants battery life since he is looking at the XPS series)

Btw, Don from NBR sends his regards

38 minutes ago, NewReborn said:

Do bear in mind that the desktop CPUs run VERY hot without a delid. Also, the battery life on those machines is not great. (I am assuming the OP wants battery life since he is looking at the XPS series)

Btw, Don from NBR sends his regards

Battery life is not really an issue since I have it plugged in most of the time ( But it would be nice to have ), the reason I am considering an XPS is that one of my professors recommended it to me.

The XPS 15 requires quite a few modifications to the cooling if you want a system that can actually perform as it should. By default, as soon as you put moderate load on it, the VRMs reach 120*C and cause the CPU to downclock to 800MHz making it slower than what you currently have. If all a person does is word processing - sure, it's fine. But as soon as you start doing heavy multitasking or gaming - you're in for a world of thermal throttling and regret.

As for the Gigabyte P57v7 - aside from the poor thermals, the build quality is also quite mediocre with weak points all around and noticeable creaking on the plastic. Definitely not a durable design.

If you're looking for a laptop that can handle everything you can throw at it along with getting that premium build quality, I would get a Razer. If you only need to have the ability to multitask hard at home, then maybe think about building a system for $2000 and spending the other $500 on a Chromebook.

Got an Android, never going back to apple again (notice I spelled apple with a lowercase and Android with an uppercase)

28 minutes ago, Maximoose said:

If you're looking for a laptop that can handle everything you can throw at it along with getting that premium build quality, I would get a Razer. If you only need to have the ability to multitask hard at home, then maybe think about building a system for $2000 and spending the other $500 on a Chromebook.

Unfortunately, where I need the performance is when I'm out, Razer Blade Pro 17 (1080p variant) Caught my eye

15 minutes ago, Xsais said:

Unfortunately, where I need the performance is when I'm out, Razer Blade Pro 17 (1080p variant) Caught my eye

it thermal throttles like no tomorrow, so you don't get the performance you paid for, it has an insanely big problem with quality control, so you may or may not get one that is broken from the start, the build quality is dog crap actually worse. I all of my years of fixing laptops I have yet to see a laptop that can beat the Razer laptops in being so shitty and come with such a huge premium.

It is like they put a 4-year-old to design and put together a laptop.

So if you want a laptop that is going to be HOT HOT HOT, give you way less performance than what you paid for, have lots of problems and may or may not break within the first year AND support a company where the CEO goes on forums and talks shit, then get a Blade or Blade pro.

@Pendragon @D2ultima can probably take over now, BACK TO READING!

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

49 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

it thermal throttles like no tomorrow, so you don't get the performance you paid for, it has an insanely big problem with quality control, so you may or may not get one that is broken from the start, the build quality is dog crap actually worse. I all of my years of fixing laptops I have yet to see a laptop that can beat the Razer laptops in being so shitty and come with such a huge premium.

It is like they put a 4-year-old to design and put together a laptop.

So if you want a laptop that is going to be HOT HOT HOT, give you way less performance than what you paid for, have lots of problems and may or may not break within the first year AND support a company where the CEO goes on forums and talks shit, then get a Blade or Blade pro.

What would you recommend?

3 hours ago, Dackzy said:

i've been slaving at work. 90 hour work weeks man. 

uhh 2500.

Aorus X7 or X5 are good. Don't get the MD. 

Pure performance you should get something like @sicily428 recommended. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

3 hours ago, Pendragon said:

uhh 2500.

Sorry about that

@D2ultima Any thoughts on the Asus ROG Zephyrus ( 15.6" - i7-7700HQ - 512 GB SSD - 16 GB RAM )?

5 hours ago, Pendragon said:

uhh 2500.

Oh shit. Sorry m8

7 hours ago, Xsais said:

What would you recommend?

Basically what pendragon and Sicily already said. 

1 hour ago, Xsais said:

@D2ultima Any thoughts on the Asus ROG Zephyrus ( 15.6" - i7-7700HQ - 512 GB SSD - 16 GB RAM )?

You pay GTX 1080 + premium for the laptop, you get 1070 performance 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

3 minutes ago, Xsais said:

@Dackzy Write now I'm looking at the Aorus X7 either the v6 or v7

Any price difference?  It is just skylake Vs kabylake, which means it is basically Justina CPU clock difference since there is 0 IPC gain.

9 hours ago, Dackzy said:

Any price difference?  It is just skylake Vs kabylake, which means it is basically Justina CPU clock difference since there is 0 IPC gain.

It's $400 USD difference ATM.

1 hour ago, Xsais said:

Does anyone have any experience with http://www.xoticpc.com?

yeah those are rebranded clevo laptops.

1 hour ago, Xsais said:

It's $400 USD difference ATM.

I would personally not pay that much extra just to get kaby.

44 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

yeah those are rebranded clevo laptops.

So, from my understanding, it's better to get a Clevo Laptop

4 minutes ago, Xsais said:

So, from my understanding, it's better to get a Clevo Laptop

clevo laptops are pretty good when it comes to cooling and their mobos are great.

2 minutes ago, Xsais said:

Any thoughts on the CLEVO N870HL

fine if you don't want/need a powerful GPU, but still want a HQ CPU and still wants a big screen.

25 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

clevo laptops are pretty good when it comes to cooling and their mobos are great.

Never knew that. "The More You Know"

@Dackzy 

2 hours ago, Dackzy said:

fine if you don't want/need a powerful GPU, but still want a HQ CPU and still wants a big screen.

I think I'll go with the 1050 TI model just in case I need a powerful GPU in the future, I am also looking at swapping out the HHD through Xoticpc, would you have any opinions on having all SSD storage ( Samsung 950 Pro and 850 Evo )? I know that HDDs last longer than SSDs but the HDD available is a 5400 RPM.