Should I wait for Volta?

PCMasterGuy

I have right now a 950ti asus strix mini. I'm going to build a PC in the coming months hopefully with coffee lake when it is released. the question is should I get a 1080ti or postpone my build until Volta comes out and does anyone have any info on when that might be? I'm thinking it should be soon since it has already been since march that the 1080ti was released?

Thanks.

1. There is no 950 Ti
  2. Nvidia isn't going to release Volta any time soon, so get the 1080 Ti ;)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

5 minutes ago, PCMasterGuy said:

I have right now a 950ti asus strix mini. I'm going to build a PC in the coming months hopefully with coffee lake when it is released. the question is should I get a 1080ti or postpone my build until Volta comes out and does anyone have any info on when that might be? I'm thinking it should be soon since it has already been since march that the 1080ti was released?

Thanks.

get the 1080ti. i doubt nvidia will release a new gen of cards just yet because the 1080ti still stands unchallenged and theres no real need for an upgrade to run current games maxed.

however if you are patient of course you can wait a couple years for it.

If you're not buying the card today then asking if you should wait is pointless because the answer today and a couple months from now can be completely different.

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

which 1080ti to get then? is Asus Strix the best or...?

EDIT: Also, do you really think it's going to take a couple years for the next gpus to come out?

Just now, PCMasterGuy said:

which 1080ti to get then? is Asus Strix the best or...?

Strix is the best of the air-cooled cards, has the best thermals. All 1080Ti's are about as fast as eachother.

If you are doing it now then don't wait but if it is as you say in your original post ("in the coming months") then ask when you are ready to commit. News about Volta will probably be updated by then.

EDIT:

11 minutes ago, PCMasterGuy said:

EDIT: Also, do you really think it's going to take a couple years for the next gpus to come out?

No, there is a high chance that Volta will be released next year. When people say that Volta is delayed it is in a context - and the context was that people were expecting Volta to appear in last months of 2017 or Q1 of 2018. NVidia delayed cause they don't need to rush but it doesn't mean that Volta will not be released next year. It might be Q2 or Q3 next year, that's all.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

8 minutes ago, Lathlaer said:

If you are doing it now then don't wait but if it is as you say in your original post ("in the coming months") then ask when you are ready to commit. News about Volta will probably be updated by then.

EDIT:

No, there is a high chance that Volta will be released next year. When people say that Volta is delayed it is in a context - and the context was that people were expecting Volta to appear in last months of 2017 or Q1 of 2018. NVidia delayed cause they don't need to rush but it doesn't mean that Volta will not be released next year. It might be Q2 or Q3 next year, that's all.

Hmm, well I was expecting early 2018 like january or february or something because they usually don't wait that long for a new architecture to be released right? if that's the case tho I'll probably get the 1080ti then...

According to PC Games hardware (big german magazine), the best 1080 ti are:

MSI Gaming (X) / Gigabyte Aorus (Extreme), maybe Palit Jetstream (ignore the Gamerock, it's Garbage).

Asus Strix is "ok", if it's the cheapest. it has a slightly worse Cooling System as the above, and it's a slight bit Louder.

If same price, there is no Reason, to get Asus Strix, if you can get MSI Gaming X / Gigabyte Aorus.

@ Volta: Won't come untill probably mid 2018 or later.

Nvidia has absolutely Zero reason to release it, now since Vega was a "flop", and can't even beat 15 Month old Pascal in terms of Performance per Watt. Nvidia has no Rush.

Get something NOW...Volta is in no hurry at this point. Maybe if Vega was a total hit... but it's not.

Is there a huge difference in perfomance between aib cards? I personally love the looks of the strix one myself.