monitor detected as a non generic plug and play

Orbok89

since the new pc...gtx 750 Ti 4gb and wind 10 i noticed that one of the monitor is detected as a non generic pnp monitor, the monitor is connected via vga from monitor to gpu via dvi adaptor
what to do?

12 minutes ago, Orbok89 said:

since the new pc...gtx 750 Ti 4gb and wind 10 i noticed that one of the monitor is detected as a non generic pnp monitor, the monitor is connected via vga from monitor to gpu via dvi adaptor
what to do?

Do you mean generic non-pnp monitor? VGA by design did not consider hot-plugging, which could be the reason as to why windows says its non-pnp. Its not an issue as far as I know, just the way VGA is detected.

Main Rig:

| 13900K@6.1/4.7 w/TVB | Corsair h150i Elite LCD | Sapphire NITRO SE+ 6900XT@2710MHz | ASUS Z790 Strix-E | Corsair DDR5 Dominator Platinum 2x16GB@6200MT/s | Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO |

My Folding Stats

well the issue is a bit different

your monitor would normally have identifying data the gpu could pick up , but since gpu's stopped supporting analog displays through the dvi connectors long ago , your adapter may not carry that data anymore and simply spits out an analog signal that it receives from the card.

12 minutes ago, emosun said:

well the issue is a bit different

your monitor would normally have identifying data the gpu could pick up , but since gpu's stopped supporting analog displays through the dvi connectors long ago , your adapter may not carry that data anymore and simply spits out an analog signal that it receives from the card.

could a vga to hdmi cabel fix it?

1 minute ago, Orbok89 said:

could a vga to hdmi cabel fix it?

no because VGA is VGA, and converting a digital to analog signal is..tricky? It needs to be a powered converter. Its not affecting anything, I'd say just leave it alone..

Main Rig:

| 13900K@6.1/4.7 w/TVB | Corsair h150i Elite LCD | Sapphire NITRO SE+ 6900XT@2710MHz | ASUS Z790 Strix-E | Corsair DDR5 Dominator Platinum 2x16GB@6200MT/s | Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO |

My Folding Stats

22 minutes ago, MysticalRainXIV said:

Do you mean generic non-pnp monitor? VGA by design did not consider hot-plugging, which could be the reason as to why windows says its non-pnp. Its not an issue as far as I know, just the way VGA is detected.

kepernyo.PNG

Yeah, thats simply due to it being plugged in via VGA, which by design doesnt support hotplugging/PnP, even though it works haha. Its not an issue, nothing is broken, its simply because your monitor is a VGA monitor.

Main Rig:

My Folding Stats

1 minute ago, MysticalRainXIV said:

Yeah, thats simply due to it being plugged in via VGA, which by design doesnt support hotplugging/PnP

ok I feel i need to state that vga does support hot plugging

my laptop uses an external vga connector which you can connect a monitor to on the fly and the computer will correctly identify the monitor and activate it. it will even retain the display setting when it detects it's the same monitor being plugged and unplugged.

his problem more or less has to do with the system not natively supporting vga , in order for his system to use vga he has to have an active adapter as a passive adapter wouldn't do anything.

5 minutes ago, emosun said:

ok I feel i need to state that vga does support hot plugging

my laptop uses an external vga connector which you can connect a monitor to on the fly and the computer will correctly identify the monitor and activate it. it will even retain the display setting when it detects it's the same monitor being plugged and unplugged.

his problem more or less has to do with the system not natively supporting vga , in order for his system to use vga he has to have an active adapter as a passive adapter wouldn't do anything.

By design is doesnt, in practical use it does. the VGA standard itself was never engineered for hot plugging. I'm just trying to get across it isnt an issue...

Main Rig:

My Folding Stats

2 minutes ago, MysticalRainXIV said:

By design is doesnt, in practical use it does. the VGA standard itself was never considered for hot plugging

maybe when it was first invented in the late 80's

but ever since the advent of the display manager and the "detect displays" button the vga port has always had the ability to refresh and detect displays that were connected.

later on you didn't need to even refresh the port , simply plugging the monitor in was enough for the port to refresh by itself.

not that any of this matters as it has nothing to do with the ops problem lol

Just now, emosun said:

maybe when it was first invented in the late 80's

but ever since the advent of the display manager and the "detect displays" button the vga port has always had the ability to refresh and detect displays that were connected.

later on you didn't need to even refresh the port , simply plugging the monitor in was enough for the port to refresh by itself.

not that any of this matters as it has nothing to do with the ops problem lol

DVI also has an analog standard, he could make it say PnP if he used a powered DVI to VGA adapter...but my question is why spend the money if what he has works?

Main Rig:

My Folding Stats

4 minutes ago, MysticalRainXIV said:

DVI also has an analog standard, he could make it say PnP if he used a powered DVI to VGA adapter...but my question is why spend the money if what he has works?

again modern gpu's use dvi-d not dvi-i or dvi-a anymore.

the monitor he has doesn't really need a proper driver unless a specific feature it supports is missing. so essentially yes what he has now works fine.

Just now, emosun said:

again modern gpu's use dvi-d not dvi-i or dvi-a anymore.

the monitor he has doesn't really need a proper driver unless a specific feature it supports is missing. so essentially yes what he has now works fine.

Okay, so we made it to the same conclusion, just...in a slightly different manner? lol.

Main Rig:

My Folding Stats

@Orbok89 To summarize, What you have now works fine, and it saying Non-PnP isnt a problem. If there is some feature missing like @emosun said, a powered adapter can be picked up for $10 USD or less to resolve the "issue."

Main Rig:

My Folding Stats

2 minutes ago, MysticalRainXIV said:

Okay, so we made it to the same conclusion, just...in a slightly different manner? lol.

speak for yourself. at no point did I recommend doing anything other than what he was already doing

Just now, emosun said:

speak for yourself. at no point did I recommend doing anything other than what he was already doing

alright well glad we're in agreement then :D

Main Rig:

My Folding Stats

1 minute ago, MysticalRainXIV said:

a powered adapter can be picked up for $10 USD or less to resolve the "issue."

and you need to understand he's using a powered adapter already

you cannot passively change a digital signal to an analog one when your gpu is digital only. 

5 minutes ago, emosun said:

you cannot passively change a digital signal to an analog one when your gpu is digital only. 

the 750ti, the card he's using, has the DVI-I connectors that do carry the analog signal

Main Rig:

My Folding Stats

6 minutes ago, MysticalRainXIV said:

the 750ti, the card he's using, has the DVI-I connectors that do carry the analog signal

then an active adapter will be 10$ down the toilet if his gpu can output analog without it

Just now, emosun said:

then an active adapter will be 10$ down the toilet if his gpu can output analog without it

right...which is why I was saying what I was about VGA not being engineered for PnP and why Windows reports it as such...Non Reference cards come with DVI-I and DVI-D so he could use a powered adapter on the DVI-D connector to make it say Generic PnP...

Main Rig:

My Folding Stats

20 hours ago, emosun said:

but i am thinking on buying a other monitor maybe change this 18.5 wich i have for like 6 years to a 23 thas has  more input like dvi, hdmi, vga and displayport

23 HP EliteDisplay E231

HP 2311X

SAMSUNG S23C650

i would by a better one but i dont know how much money i will get as a starter project engineer (furniture for pubs, restaurants)