2 monitors up untill windows logo.

driesmoortgat

I just installed my msi rx470. it has 2 DP, 2 Hdmi and one dl-dvi-d. 

I used to have 2 monitors, one to hdmi and one to vga, cause of the rx 470 not having vga i have to use my older monitor that has dvi-d input as second monitor. 

So with one monitor connected to hdmi (this one works) and the second one connected to dvi-d (using a dvi-d single link cable, google says this should be fine :p) the second monitor is not working. 

Well it is working and connected up untill the windows logo. When i start computer the bios shows up on both screens, the windows logo shows up on both screens but the second monitor goes black after the windows logo. 

Hopefully one of you can help me. i know i can probably just buy a second hdmi monitor, but i am kind of trying to save some money. 

You may need to set up windows itself to display to both monitors correctly, as sometimes it doesnt automatically do this. What version of windows are you running?

Main Rig:

| 13900K@6.1/4.7 w/TVB | Corsair h150i Elite LCD | Sapphire NITRO SE+ 6900XT@2710MHz | ASUS Z790 Strix-E | Corsair DDR5 Dominator Platinum 2x16GB@6200MT/s | Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO |

My Folding Stats

windows 10, i alrdy checked for update. graphics card is up to date aswell. thx alrdy for trying to help 

a driver update wouldnt necessarily fix the issue. within windows settings make sure its detecting both displays and is set to either extend or mirror them.

Main Rig:

| 13900K@6.1/4.7 w/TVB | Corsair h150i Elite LCD | Sapphire NITRO SE+ 6900XT@2710MHz | ASUS Z790 Strix-E | Corsair DDR5 Dominator Platinum 2x16GB@6200MT/s | Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO |

My Folding Stats

its only detecting one of them, so i cant even mirror them. as far as windows concerned my second monitor is non existant after the windows logo. 

are the monitors different resolutions/refresh rates? This can also cause issues, but that isnt likely...within device manager (you can get there by right clicking on the start button) under monitors does it list more than one monitor? You can also try to force it to detect hardware changes and update drivers from there

Main Rig:

My Folding Stats

It are different res. But as you said, that should bot mother. In device manager it shows only one. 

try messing around with the resolution within windows and set it to the resolution of the second monitor, just to cover our bases and see if the second one kicks on

Main Rig:

My Folding Stats

My only other suggestion would be to try a dvi-d dual link cable instead of the current single link cable you're using, but it could also be that the monitor is too old for windows to detect... does the second monitor work when its the only one plugged in?

Main Rig:

My Folding Stats

Any OSD settings for the second monitor that we could try and mess with? Otherwise, try a dual link cable. Even though google says it should be okay, that may not be true in this case. Can I have the model number for the monitor in question

Main Rig:

My Folding Stats

i bougth this monitor so long ago i dont have the receipt anymore, and i completely blacked it out with spraypaint so i am afraid i dont have a monitor model number anymore

Then my only suggestion left is try a dual link cable. Maybe someone else here has another idea

Main Rig:

My Folding Stats