Random Performance Drop

princemc

Hey everyone,

I've been running this build for about 3 years now with minimal hiccups preventing me from playing any games. I recently got into overclocking as I improved the cooling in my PC. I haven't had any issues with my overclock for several months until now, and I'm not even sure if that is the issue.

The build I'm running is;

AMD Athlon x4 760k Overclocked to 4.1Ghz (4.5Ghz Turbo)

AMD Radeon Sapphire R7 260x Overclocked with MSI Afterburner (Core Clock: 1200 Memory Clock: 1550 Core Voltage +10)

MSI A78M-E35

8 GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 Ram

I haven't had any real issues in games so far until yesterday after I downloaded Life is Strange on Steam. After opening the game I had absolutely terrible performance and could barely even play the game even on the lowest settings. After that, I launched several other games to test if it was global or simply game optimization issues with that specific game. Gauntlet: Slayer Edition also showed me horrible performance (not a very graphics intense game imo). Finally this brought me to Overwatch, in which I launched the game and was getting 3 FPS on the main screen.

I checked for driver updates, installed the newest one as of yesterday and it was somewhat better performing on Overwatch but still very choppy with a lot of framerate spikes. I noticed while playing these various games that my GPU usage was high (80%-100%) while my CPU usage remained low in all three games. Not sure if that has anything to do with it but I figured it was something worth noting.

Again, I had no issues until yesterday. The only new software I installed was Life is Strange. I've never had a game installation cause problems across the board. I was not having any performance issues two days ago, but since yesterday I have been having these problems. I've checked for updates on everything I can possibly think of so I know nothing is out of date causing any optimization issues. 

Life is Strange should not make any issues, it's most likely something else. Check for any special program running in the background while at it. Could be you forgot to turn the game off. Anyway, try reinstalling LiS see if it helps. By no means should you remove it.

12 minutes ago, princemc said:

Will reinstalling LiS delete my game save file?

If it is on steam then no hehe honestly though no way the game caused your system any issues, check your thermals and what not this looks like quite the old build.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

13 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

If it is on steam then no hehe honestly though no way the game caused your system any issues, check your thermals and what not this looks like quite the old build.

My thermals should be no issue. Cpu is usually about 30° C under load and GPU is usually around 50° C under load. I just tried to play overwatch again and was at 6 FPS on the title screen with no programs out of the ordinary running in the background.

I ran Cinebench to see if that performance was different and sure enough it was. I used to get about 30FPS on OpenGL testing and this time I got 17.7 FPS. 

CPU tests used to be in the low-mid 400's and now I'm getting 276 cb. Something is bogging my entire system down and I don't know what it could be.