960 EVO vs 850 EVO

iiNNeX

I am in need of a 1TB SSD, and currently trying to see if I can justify the 960 evo.

Money is not a problem, however I don't want to waste it on something that potentially might not give me any real world gains. I will be using the drive as a boot OS, game storage and my work space for video editing. I will have 2x 6TB HDDs in RAID as a storage for my RAW unedited files.

Will I see the speed benefits on the 960 over the 850 in my use?

Thanks

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

At that point the difference between boot times is minimal and in games there won't be any difference.

When copying files between your HDDs and SSD it probably won't matter, since your harddrives are most likely still the bottleneck there.

However, there might be a noticeable difference when loading files into your prefered video editor, but since I don't have any experience with that, I don't really know.

Just now, Senzelian said:

At that point the difference between boot times is minimal and in games there won't be any difference.

When copying files between your HDDs and SSD it probably won't matter, since your harddrives are most likely still the bottleneck there.

However, there might be a noticeable difference when loading files on your prefered video editor, but since I don't have any experience with that, I don't really know.

Exactly what I was thinking, that last part is the only thing that could potentially matter, and even then how much....

Ideally somebody who is using an m.2 for video editing would need to provide input, but I think it boils down to what you said.

2 minutes ago, Thermosman said:

Yes we know that, however sadly that is not real world performance. I am not going to be transferring 50gb files from 1 ssd to another, to see that benefit. 

I need to know the performance gain in video editing.

I just upgraded my 850 Pro for a 960 Evo.

I don't notice any big difference in boot times (maybe a few seconds), games basically never saturate a SATA SSD anyway (they never even really saturated my HDD when I use a dedicated HDD for games) so there will be almost no difference there.

I wanted a larger boot drive (from 256GB to 500GB) so that's why I upgraded, and I figured I would just dish out the little bit extra for NVME but the difference is not huge. I still have the 850 Pro in the system as an Adobe cache drive and for a couple games that I want to load faster than the ones on my HDD.

It's basically up to you, I don't regret the purchase by any means but the difference is very small except in very specific use cases so it's probably not worth the money to most people.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

13 hours ago, pyrojoe34 said:

I just upgraded my 850 Pro for a 960 Evo.

I don't notice any big difference in boot times (maybe a few seconds), games basically never saturate a SATA SSD anyway (they never even really saturated my HDD when I use a dedicated HDD for games) so there will be almost no difference there.

I wanted a larger boot drive (from 256GB to 500GB) so that's why I upgraded, and I figured I would just dish out the little bit extra for NVME but the difference is not huge. I still have the 850 Pro in the system as an Adobe cache drive and for a couple games that I want to load faster than the ones on my HDD.

It's basically up to you, I don't regret the purchase by any means but the difference is very small except in very specific use cases so it's probably not worth the money to most people.

So getting a 500gb 960 EVO for boot and Getting an 850 Evo 1TB for scratch disk + Games library should do well ?

I would get a (boot) 250GB 960Evo --- a fast access (files/games)500GB 850Evo and --- a (music/video/pics) 2,3 or 4TB spinner drive.

9 minutes ago, Columbo said:

I would get a (boot) 250GB 960Evo --- a fast access (files/games)500GB 850Evo and --- a (music/video/pics) 2,3 or 4TB spinner drive.

250GB is not enough for boot as well as games bud, AAA games these days take around 60-80GB of space (GTA V, ARK Survival, Forza, BF1 ect..).

As for spinner drives I have 2x 6TB Seagate Ironwolfs so no problem there, just need to decide on the SSD combo.

Just now, iiNNeX said:

250GB is not enough for boot as well as games bud, AAA games these days take around 60-80GB of space (GTA V, ARK Survival, Forza, BF1 ect..).

As for spinner drives I have 2x 6TB Seagate Ironwolfs so no problem there, just need to decide on the SSD combo.

Ok sport. I was suggesting a 250GB boot drive as well as a 500GB 850Evo but you can add a 1TB SSD 850evo drive for a gaming drive consideration. You can omit my suggestion for spinner drives because you already high end Seagate ironwolf drives.

Games run better when not on the boot drive. The drives also run better without an OS on them. Spinner drives run much better and require no de-fragmenting without an OS on them. Mostly because they do not have to move around data between sectors in a non linear fashion which causes clutter. 

2 minutes ago, Columbo said:

Ok sport. I was suggesting a 250GB boot drive as well as a 500GB 850Evo but you can add a 1TB SSD 850evo drive for a gaming drive consideration. You can omit my suggestion for spinner drives because you already high end Seagate ironwolf drives.

Games run better when not on the boot drive. The drives also run better without an OS on them. Spinner drives run much better and require no de-fragmenting without an OS on them. Mostly because they do not have to move around data between sectors in a non linear fashion which causes clutter. 

That makes sense, thank you for the useful information.

So, ultimate a 960 Evo 256GB Boot, 1TB 850 EVO for Games and Adobe Scratch Disk and 12TB worth of HDD for RAW data and backups should suffice ?

I have both. With rapid enabled in Magician the 850 is twice as fast as the 960. Over 6000r/5800w.

18 hours ago, dexT said:

I have both. With rapid enabled in Magician the 850 is twice as fast as the 960. Over 6000r/5800w.

We cannot take your post seriously considering your signature is for a Pentium G3258. The Samsung 960 is a m2. nVMO SSD. It is the gold standard for speed in a m2 SSD. Do you have a motherboard that supports M.2 in your system? The 960 reads @ 3000mb compared to 550-560mb for the 850Evo. 

13 hours ago, Columbo said:

We cannot take your post seriously considering your signature is for a Pentium G3258. The Samsung 960 is a m2. nVMO SSD. It is the gold standard for speed in a m2 SSD. Do you have a motherboard that supports M.2 in your system? The 960 reads @ 3000mb compared to 550-560mb for the 850Evo. 

I can't take you serious you if don't know what RAPID is. And you mock my Pentium lol.. you must of missed the rest of the specs.. I'm a competitive overclocker, #1110 out of 116243 in the world only started last March. So basically, you look like a dick/fool to one of the fastest people in the world http://hwbot.org/user/knock/

850evo.png

eat it.jpg

rigula.jpg

13 hours ago, Columbo said:

We cannot take your post seriously considering your signature is for a Pentium G3258. 

I'm running DICE tonight if you want to compare benchmarks of our systems(proof I have a 960 and 850 as well)

0909171647b.jpg

@Columbo Holla at cha boi

I have a load of bench runs at 5.6GHz core/5.3GHz cache/2800 DDR3 I need to submit to HWBOT after a break. You want to bench yours and see it utterly destroyed by a scrub-ass Pentium?

How high do you want me to crank up my old ass 3570k to? Are we going to focus on Pi which doesn't stress the quad core or in your case the dual core Pentium chip? You want to run Cinebench tests or PCMark tests against mine @ 4.5ghz or do you want me to crank it up to 4.8ghz for testing purposes? Remember it takes more power to run a quad core CPU and stability becomes an issue vs. dual core CPU's but you already knew that. You are the expert here.

I could give you links to threads that show that using rapid is a synthetic improvement in testing but the real world performance shows that it provides little benefit. Your 960 Evo reads 3000mb per second. Your 850 reads 550-560mb per second. You have a 960 evo on what looks like a PCI-E adapter. I am not expert enough to say if your modified hardware setup bottlenecks or fails to provide the full bandwidth  a M.2 slot for NVMe card provides. They have similar M.2 SSD's that are the same speed as a regular SSD. The NVMe stuff is what is many times faster than a standard M.2 SSD card. 

My 3570k is ancient. It is from the same era and generation of your Pentium CPU. You even have a better motherboard than my lowly Z87 Asus. 

24 minutes ago, Columbo said:

How high do you want me to crank up my old ass 3570k to? Are we going to focus on Pi which doesn't stress the quad core or in your case the dual core Pentium chip? You want to run Cinebench tests or PCMark tests against mine @ 4.5ghz or do you want me to crank it up to 4.8ghz for testing purposes? Remember it takes more power to run a quad core CPU and stability becomes an issue vs. dual core CPU's but you already knew that. You are the expert here.

I could give you links to threads that show that using rapid is a synthetic improvement in testing but the real world performance shows that it provides little benefit. Your 960 Evo reads 3000mb per second. Your 850 reads 550-560mb per second. You have a 960 evo on what looks like a PCI-E adapter. I am not expert enough to say if your modified hardware setup bottlenecks or fails to provide the full bandwidth  a M.2 slot for NVMe card provides. They have similar M.2 SSD's that are the same speed as a regular SSD. The NVMe stuff is what is many times faster than a standard M.2 SSD card. 

My 3570k is ancient. It is from the same era and generation of your Pentium CPU. You even have a better motherboard than my lowly Z87 Asus. 

You don't need too but it would be fun. My Pentium scores like a stock 3570K in CB, in single threaded you can see what it looks like if you want. Pifast, SuperPi 1M/32M or anything really is cool. Pifast and 1M are easy to run.

The adapter is a Silverstone EMC20 PCIe 3.0 x4 and was being used on my X99-M WS in a x4 slot off of CPU lanes. RAPID is DRAM caching right? DDR3/4 is way faster than NVMe, think RAM disk.

Now if HWBOT would work, the site is so slow tonight.

On 08/09/2017 at 4:50 PM, dexT said:

RAPID mode gives fantastically high results for benchmarks, where the test software just basically writes out data that it rereads later on. If the RAM cache is large enough, the test will only measure the RAM speed, rather than the disk speed.

However, in everyday life we don't always re-read the data we have just written, so the results are vastly different, so no it is far from faster than the 960 I'm afraid.