First personal build after 10 years (Rainbow Dash)

Backstory:

I´ll start with my previeous PC build that happened in around 2007. As far as i can remember the specs were:

Intel Q6600

Asus P5W64

Asus 8800GT

Scyte Mugen Cooling

and Thermaltake case into which i added about 10kg of automotive sound dampening bitumen. It served me well for many year, but somewhere around 2013 a loose screw happened behind the motherboard and caused a small fire just below south brigde area. Fire killed the motherboard and PSU, so after desmelling in the garage it went to storage. Few years later I rebuilt it for my little brother, who managed to play with it until June, this year. I just built him a Ryzen machine(Yes with RBG). I really got attached to the burned down bastard and therefore stayed away from building a new one for many years. But years of laptopness will cause a man to go crazy so last week I started ordering parts for new build.

I do some video editing in 1080p and 4k, some work with 3ds Max and occasional gaming. I picked these parts hoping that the performance would last at least 4-5 years. Offcourse, at first this is complete overkill, but as i`m just about to turn 30, then perhaps it`s ok to do myself a gift. At this age some spoiling is needed...

New build:

CPU: Intel i7 7820x

Cooling: Corsair H115i

MB: Asus Strix E X299

GPU: Asus Strix 1080 Ti

RAM: G.Skill Triden Z RBG 4x8GB 3866Mhz

SSD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB

HDD: 2x WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 4TB

CASE: Corsair Air 740

PSU: Corsair HX850i

DSC08428.JPG

DSC08430.JPG

DSC08431.JPG

DSC08436.JPG

Delivery guy took his time.. but atleast most of the stuff is now arrived. As you can see there is GTX 1060 on the picture. This is actually a Christmas present for my little bother. I`ll be "borrowing" this until my GTX 1080 Ti finally arrives (hopefully in a week). The case and extra 2 sticks of RAM will arrive tomorrow. Let`s see if i can get it to run tonight, on the table.

Day 1 update:

Got it to work on mb box quite quickly(see image on the first post). No problems with anything really.

DId a simple set-up in Asus BIOS and somehow the 7820x goes all the way to 4.6Ghz. During Aida64 stresstest temps go to around 65C, but with short FPU test the temps went over 100 and clocks down to 4.3Ghz. I set temp CPU temp limit to 90C, untill it`s on the box and in open air. I see delid coming soon...

What supprised me was the power consumtion. 7820x together with GTX 1060 consumed 510W from the wall. I wonder what happens if I start propely OC-ing and put my 1080 Ti in.

System is extremly quiet during normal use and gaming. Even when the fans are like 30cm from my ears. Today the case should arrive, so i`ll spend the whole evening cable managing.

So it`s confirmed. It is called "Rainbow Dash" from now on. My 3yo daughter said that it shall be it and no further arguments aren`t allowed. Crap..

Day 2 update:

Received the case today. Also did some initial overclocking to see what the 7820x can handle. Managed to get 4.8Ghz with 1.275V (see image below). With this clock it managed to complete Passmark CPU test. Also got 4.9Ghz with AVX "-1" and 1.295V to log into Windows, but then in hung. As i`m not really sure at the moment what the safe voltages are for x299, I won`t go any further. Once i order the "Delid Die Mate X", i can come back to this.

Right now i`m stresstesting "daily goal" 4.5Ghz to find the lowerst possible voltage. As i`m writing this Aida64 is stressing with 1.12V, with average temp of 76C.

4900Mhz.thumb.png.52b4243b4a3396c48e5185f393800410.png

Day 3 update:

Managed to get a nice and stable 4.4Ghz @ 1.120V. This is enough till delid. Meanwhile my 1080Ti Strix arrived. I have to say that it`s a bit faster than 1060 Strix, that I had as temporary replacement. System is now built(exept 2xWB black, yet to come) and cablemanaged, so now I´m ready to tackle Witcher 3 for the first time...

DSC08436.thumb.JPG.24740d864c713ee7b827058ae1f41a3d.JPG

• 1 month later...

I`m currently in the middle of Fans swap. Corsair original fans seemed too loud for me, so I turned to Noctua. It came out that Noctua is a local producer.

For H115i I now have 2x NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM and for the case 5x NF-P14s redux-1200 PWM. Now i can run my system almost completly silent in idle and with small work load. Three of the case fan even turn off during idle.

What realy grinds my gear is the Corsair link cable that does not fit the picture(see below). The wire a huge connector and no proper shielding. So it covers some "ROG" cristal and stops working when I try to cablemanage it near the RAM. Has anyone found some better cables?

2017-10-11 09.37.22.jpg

As far as i know, you can choose to forego the cable entirely if you so choose. The cable is only for monitoring purposes and for controlling the fan speeds and pump speeds. If you don't connect it then the pump will still run, though at the stock settings, which honestly shouldn't make much of an impact in temps. You can connect the fans to onboard PWM headers or a fan controller and handle fan speeds that way. Alternatively, with my own setup, I orientated the pump head the other way, with the tubing on the left as opposed to how you have it on the right. Then i routed the cable underneath the graphics card, though since we have different boards and different chipset layouts, your mileage may vary. All in all, a very clean look and very sexy!

The only reason I use the cable is that in Corsair link I can tie fan speed with radiator temp, which gives a lot smoother fan speed. When using CPU package temps in MB fan controller, the fans constantly go up and down.

• 2 weeks later...

Next step of my build requires a vastly overengineered German tool. You got to hand it to Roman, he sure knows how to German.

I should get some booze and courage and get on with it.

Update day2: At the moment I can report about 17C drop in temperature, while running Aida64 FPU. For final results I should let AS5 set in few weeks. In my experience it takes some burning in for AS5.

As for deliding, the procedure was quite simple. I was amazed how much force the screw required. It almost felt like it all gonna bend. But eventually, after few tries a "pop" happened and IHS came loose. I cleaned the old TIM and the IHS from silicone, applied Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut and put the IHS back. I did not clue the IHS back. After that AS5 went between CPU and cooler. 

2017-10-24 15.22.00.jpg

2017-10-24 19.40.17.jpg

Edited by DanielMiddletown