Accessing files on another computer through USB?

AlwaysFSX

I think this might be the right place to put this but I'm not sure... Anyways, does anyone know if you can plug to computers together through a USB cable and access files off of the other computer from the other one... If that makes sense

Computer 1 <---USB to USB cable---> Computer 2

If I did this, could I go on computer 1 and access files off of computer 2 to use?

I think this might be the right place to put this but I'm not sure... Anyways, does anyone know if you can plug to computers together through a USB cable and access files off of the other computer from the other one... If that makes sense

If I did this, could I go on computer 1 and access files off of computer 2 to use?

I tried doing that with my laptop and desktop, it didn't do anything but make the usb cable hot. PHOTO TOO BIG. lol

Yes these exist. You can get a "USB PC Transfer Cable" kit from companies like Belkan.  It's a USB A to A cable and usually uses the built-in Windows 7 transfer Wizard, or some proprietary transfer software.

http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=49748

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I tried doing that with my laptop and desktop, it didn't do anything but make the usb cable hot.

Why don't you just connect them together with an Ethernet cable?

Why don't you just connect them together with an Ethernet cable?

I only have one ethernet port on my desktop :(

Yes these exist. You can get a "USB PC Transfer Cable" kit from companies like Belkan.  It's a USB A to A cable and usually uses the built-in Windows 7 transfer Wizard, or some proprietary transfer software.

http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=49748

But does it work with a plain USB A to A cable though?

So is the other computer hooked up to the same network?

So is the other computer hooked up to the same network?

Usually, tried transferring files that way but it doesn't want to work

You have to setup the permissions for the computer you want to have access to the files and the sharing options for those as well. it can be pretty hard to get it right for the first time. 

Oh you also have to enter the same "password" shown on the network options in the host pc, in each pc you want to share files to/from.

I myself am not really sure exactly how to set the networks up on windows 7 but from time to time when i have to, i just mess with the settings for 10 minutes and it always finally works.

About the usb cable, it has to be a special cable (wich has a network controller in some point in the cable). Regular usb cables wont work.

If both PC's are on the same LAN (same subnet) you can access each other's files even if the folder/files aren't "shared" by appending a $ at the end of the path (admin shares). I do it all the time, just need an account with admin rights.

Example, lets say PC#2 has an ip of 192.168.1.200.

On PC#1 type in "\\192.168.1.200\c$". It may prompt for credentials. This will let you access everything on the C drive on PC2.

But does it work with a plain USB A to A cable though?

there really isn't a "plain" A to A cable. Any A to A cables are likely designed for USB transfer. So yes, I imagine that they would work.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)