X5650 bottlenecking?

17 hours ago, Intelfreak said:

So al ready a better result. That´s a good start. If you cant force bios to run multiplier 21, i would try a complete bios reset by pushing clearcmos buttom if your motherboard have one. Else its the hard way by pulling out bios battery for a few minutes.

If you cant remember settings, then take a picture of bios settings before reseting bios and 45 C is great. No worry there then yet.

I figured out what was the issue. I had turbo boost disabled. Left it that way since my initial OC when I ran a burner test. Enabling it allowed me to use 21 multiplier. I ,however, blue screen during a burner test and I think my cpu was over-volting(?). Is that even a thing? Just before the blue screen there were some high pitched, intermittent, whistling coming from the PC. Nothing I have ever heard before but all I can think of was that or my PSU was finally showing its age. I have since dropped it to 190x21 and seems to be holding steady so far, even during a few rounds of PUBG (noticeable increase in performance here) and some other games. I feel like my CPU is extremely fragile so a little concerned on running another burner test.

Desktop Screenshot 2017.09.07 - 09.15.23.75.png

18 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

it's funny how people think because it's intel it's automatically good...these CPU's are about on par with AMD FX in terms of IPC and per core performance...if you say FX-8350 with GTX 1070 they scream BOTTLENECK...but then those old ass nehalem cpu's or whatever ''those are sweet CPU's'' no they are not they are old, outdated and slow...sure it's not bad in MULTI_THREAD performance because they have 6c/12t but they have the IPC of an 8 years old CPU...and for gaming they sucks.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Xeon-X5650-vs-AMD-FX-8370/m355vs2983

I guess you will probably hate to see what I do with my old Athlon 64 x2 6000+ and a 560 Ti or the GTX 1070.

3 hours ago, DrQuin04 said:

I figured out what was the issue. I had turbo boost disabled. Left it that way since my initial OC when I ran a burner test. Enabling it allowed me to use 21 multiplier. I ,however, blue screen during a burner test and I think my cpu was over-volting(?). Is that even a thing? Just before the blue screen there were some high pitched, intermittent, whistling coming from the PC. Nothing I have ever heard before but all I can think of was that or my PSU was finally showing its age. I have since dropped it to 190x21 and seems to be holding steady so far, even during a few rounds of PUBG (noticeable increase in performance here) and some other games. I feel like my CPU is extremely fragile so a little concerned on running another burner test.

Desktop Screenshot 2017.09.07 - 09.15.23.75.png

Great so you are now at 4 Ghz. Congrats :D and enjoy your improved performance.

Overvolt is a thing if volts are left on auto. If you manuel have ajusted voltage, overvolt shut not acure at all.

That high pitch cut be coil whine. Does sound any thing like below?

If yes, take a look at this:

About CPU oc. Dont worry about oc I7 920 and cpu in generel. A CPU can take alot of abuse, in fact CPU is one of the component in a PC thats has the lowest failrate.

What typically kills a CPU is to high temp or voltage or a combination.

Your temp and voltage is safe. Max reccomended voltage for I7 920 is 1.35 volt on vcore and as long you keep your CPU at max 75 C under normal load, it can last a long time.

My own I7 920 i had from new and the last 4 years i had it, ran 4.1 GHz 24/7 and still worked perfect when i sold it. Your motherboard will properly fail before the CPU does it.

On 9/1/2017 at 6:32 PM, god_bmxes said:

I do.play at 1080 atm, but I will be upgrading to 1440 in the bearish future. Also want to go to Ryzen in the winter, was mainly just wanting to have fun with a Xeon. However though, it should do alot better than my current 860, that thing is rough

I'm a lowly RX 460 owner here with a monitor that only supports a max resolution of 1600x900. At that resolution with my Phenom II X4 955 the CPU takes most of the load. Therefore I use Virtual Super Resolution to bump the game res up.

Never having owned any Nvidia GPU ever, I wonder is there an option like this for your use to alleviate the bottleneck?

1 hour ago, Intelfreak said:

Great so you are now at 4 Ghz. Congrats :D and enjoy your improved performance.

Overvolt is a thing if volts are left on auto. If you manuel have ajusted voltage, overvolt shut not acure at all.

That high pitch cut be coil whine. Does sound any thing like below?

If yes, take a look at this:

About CPU oc. Dont worry about oc I7 920 and cpu in generel. A CPU can take alot of abuse, in fact CPU is one of the component in a PC thats has the lowest failrate.

What typically kills a CPU is to high temp or voltage or a combination.

Your temp and voltage is safe. Max reccomended voltage for I7 920 is 1.35 volt on vcore and as long you keep your CPU at max 75 C under normal load, it can last a long time.

My own I7 920 i had from new and the last 4 years i had it, ran 4.1 GHz 24/7 and still worked perfect when i sold it. Your motherboard will properly fail before the CPU does it.

Okay. Ya I'm now at 3.99 at 190x21. I'm satisfied with it. The whistling sound I heard didn't sound like coil whine. I'm pretty convinced that its my PSU getting ready to give out. It's a very old 1000w BFG Tech PSU. I bought it to help power an athlon 64 3200+ venice core with a 8800 ultra. The card alone had a minimal power requirement of 500w to itself and the chip would hit 100w but usually stayed around 90w under load.

29 minutes ago, DrQuin04 said:

Okay. Ya I'm now at 3.99 at 190x21. I'm satisfied with it. The whistling sound I heard didn't sound like coil whine. I'm pretty convinced that its my PSU getting ready to give out. It's a very old 1000w BFG Tech PSU. I bought it to help power an athlon 64 3200+ venice core with a 8800 ultra. The card alone had a minimal power requirement of 500w to itself and the chip would hit 100w but usually stayed around 90w under load.

Ah i see. Yes then it is indeed an old PSU.

@JDE @i_build_nanosuits

I thought I alread posted on this thread but I guess not. LGA1366 Xeon has Sandybridge IPC levels, it is no slouch. An E5640 should do as well as an i7 3770 I would think.. Here is a video I created when benchmarking my 6c/12t X5680 system, along with a few others.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430