Where to look for donor drives?

little_lotte

I just received an email from a data recovery company basically saying that the reading heads have failed inside the hard drive, and in order to replace the reading heads inside the drive they have to locate an identical hard drive to mine.

Sadly they have been unable to locate the matching model and drive revisions required for a suitable donor. Without the suitable donor drive they are unable to attempt to recover the data.

I have searched online everywhere and couldn't find it. I want to post an ad instead and hopefully someone might have it and sell it to me.

Where would be a good place to post an ad like that?

45 minutes ago, little_lotte said:

I just received an email from a data recovery company basically saying that the reading heads have failed inside the hard drive, and in order to replace the reading heads inside the drive they have to locate an identical hard drive to mine.

Sadly they have been unable to locate the matching model and drive revisions required for a suitable donor. Without the suitable donor drive they are unable to attempt to recover the data.

I have searched online everywhere and couldn't find it. I want to post an ad instead and hopefully someone might have it and sell it to me.

Where would be a good place to post an ad like that?

Why is it that something just doesn't seem right with this picture?  What is the possibility that you backed up the drive before you sent it in for service?  Never heard of a data recovery service telling the customer that it was his responsibility to find either parts for repairs or a replacement drive.  If the drive needed repairs like replacing the read/write heads you would think they would have access to those parts or know where to get them.  Good luck with this one, something else tells me you're gonna need it.

First of all, they are a reputable company. What I like about them is they have a standard no fix/no fee (unlike some other companies who will give you a rough estimate i.e. $800 - $3,000) policy and they don't charge for the evaluation.

Anyway, they've been looking for a matching drive (through their brokers) for a few weeks now, but couldn't find one. I said to them that I'll try to find it myself then. They warned me that the chances are slim, but I agreed anyway. If I don't find it, I'm just gonna have to find another data recover company who may have a matching drive and ship it to them.

The reason I haven't done this yet is because it's costly. I had to ship this drive to England and it already cost me $100. Just trying to be practical.