Arma is eating my computer

Just built my computer a little while ago with a 6600k and a 1070. I defiantly think i have balanced the build quite well however I have noticed my cpu suffering under the wrath of arma 3. Being the peice of crap to hardware it is i didnt need to do any searching to know that the op physics of arma were a little to much for the system and were leaving my gpu basking on the shores of Hawaii while my cpu was burning in hell. I want to find out if there is any way to improve my arma 3 performance a bit. I have tried programs like razor cortex and whatever nvidia has to close background tasks which helps. I have an oc on my cpu of about 4.7 ghz and imm sitting around 1.3 volts. My issue comes about playing king of the hill. A bit of lag is expected but i am sometimes dropping to 25 fps. Its hard to say what my average is though because it veries constantly. In the wilderness i can get 100, if I have a high render distance on I can get 30-60, and in the city it can bork to 25. I can get used to anything over 30 cause i can accept that arma is broken. I know that steady 144 hz on arma is more than I can ask for so I am kinda just looking for better stability when I am in a setting with alot of action. I often play 110 person servers and the city can be an issue for lag. Is there anything else I can do to help out my frames. I am thinking of getting a 6700k at some point but for now I am stuck with what i have. All ideas are welcome.

Well arma 3 is unoptimized trash, so dont get so caught up on its poor performance. Anyways an i7 wouldn't hurt but im no expert. 

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

2 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

Well arma 3 is unoptimized trash, so dont get so caught up on its poor performance. Anyways an i7 wouldn't hurt but im no expert. 

ya I wasn't expecting to be able to do much

6 minutes ago, Kd4lif3 said:

ya I wasn't expecting to be able to do much

Mebbe get an old er Xeon? @WhisperingKnickers has a dual Xeon build, and you can find decently clocked ones with 4c/8t (basically an older i7 with no iGPU) for $50-100, depending on how popular they are. And if you find a reasonably priced mobo then you may get better performance. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

2 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Mebbe get an old er Xeon? @WhisperingKnickers has a dual Xeon build, and you can find decently clocked ones with 4c/8t (basically an older i7 with no iGPU) for $50-100, depending on how popular they are. And if you find a reasonably priced mobo then you may get better performance. 

ya at that point I might as well sell my I5 and get an I7. I was looking for somthing quick for a easy boost but thats a bit much to ask for,

2 minutes ago, Kd4lif3 said:

ya at that point I might as well sell my I5 and get an I7. I was looking for somthing quick for a easy boost but thats a bit much to ask for,

You've OC'ed the CPU, right?

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 hour ago, Kd4lif3 said:

Just built my computer a little while ago with a 6600k and a 1070. I defiantly think i have balanced the build quite well however I have noticed my cpu suffering under the wrath of arma 3. Being the peice of crap to hardware it is i didnt need to do any searching to know that the op physics of arma were a little to much for the system and were leaving my gpu basking on the shores of Hawaii while my cpu was burning in hell. I want to find out if there is any way to improve my arma 3 performance a bit. I have tried programs like razor cortex and whatever nvidia has to close background tasks which helps. I have an oc on my cpu of about 4.7 ghz and imm sitting around 1.3 volts. My issue comes about playing king of the hill. A bit of lag is expected but i am sometimes dropping to 25 fps. Its hard to say what my average is though because it veries constantly. In the wilderness i can get 100, if I have a high render distance on I can get 30-60, and in the city it can bork to 25. I can get used to anything over 30 cause i can accept that arma is broken. I know that steady 144 hz on arma is more than I can ask for so I am kinda just looking for better stability when I am in a setting with alot of action. I often play 110 person servers and the city can be an issue for lag. Is there anything else I can do to help out my frames. I am thinking of getting a 6700k at some point but for now I am stuck with what i have. All ideas are welcome.

Arma 3 has some horrible optimization your Hardware is all okay there's nothing wrong with it I know how the rendering of Arma 3 works it's horrible though it's really bad.

It's basically something like this you go on the server with not alot of people and you got a lot of frame rate if you go on the server with tons of people you lose tons of framerate what you're basically doing is generating their spots so if you have like a high-powered scope or whatever you can see them in the distance so basically yeah you go in the big server you get crap.

Here are 6 different computer specs that I played Arma 3 on that I have never got a constant 60fps.
[keep in mind that the graphics settings were set at medium or low on those computers]

PC1

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 oc at 3.4GHz
PNY GeForce GTX 560 TI
Asus P5Q
Kingston 4x2GB 8GB 1333MHz the max that the CPU can take

PC2

AMD Phenom II X4 955

PNY GeForce GTX 560 TI

ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO

G.skill 4x4GB 16GB 1600MHz

PC3

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T oc at  3.8GHz

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560TI SOC x2 SLI

MSI 970A-G46

G.skill 4x4GB 16GB 1600MHz

PC4

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T oc at  3.8GHz

Asus R9 280X x2 Crossfire

MSI 970A-G46

AMD entertainment 4x4GB 16GB 1600MHz

PC5

Intel Core i7 5820K

Zotac GeForce GTX 970 AMP Extreme

MSI X99A GAMING 7

G.skill 4x4GB 16GB 3000MHz

PC6

Intel Core i7 4770K oc at 4.0GHz

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970

MSI Z97 Gaming 5

Kingston HyperX 4x8GB 32GB 3732MHz the max that the CPU can take

Arma 3 game optimization is still terrible

4 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

You've OC'ed the CPU, right?

ya 4.7ghz

Arma relies on single threaded performance. Technically you can set it to run on as many cores as you want, but the AI and Physics each stay on one thread only and will end up holding you back. Basically, you can't do anything about it.

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C