RGB/RGBW auto dance to music frequency, large scale.

HeyKitty

So I need to setup RGB or RGBW lights.

I need them to dance to music.

music is being played off of spotify > Win10 > PC > 1/8" converted to XLR > active loud speaker system.

I was thinking have certain lights change with certain frequencies.  Unless there is a better easy way (not programming each song individually)

THIS IS MY SUPER TEENY TINY SIGNATURE!

Ain't it just the cutest little signature.

Some would argue it is the cutest little signature ever.

there's 2 ways either you program a spectrum analyzer that will change the leds to the music or you can hook a mic to it and do it off loudness

1 minute ago, Alaradia said:

there's 2 ways either you program a spectrum analyzer that will change the leds to the music or you can hook a mic to it and do it off loudness

pretend I'm stupid.  Is a spectrum analyzer a box I can buy, plug it in the line, and it works?

I need a large scale plug and play setup. doing a 8,000 sq ft setup.

Just now, HeyKitty said:

pretend I'm stupid.  Is a spectrum analyzer a box I can buy, plug it in the line, and it works?

I need a large scale plug and play setup. doing a 8,000 sq ft setup.

it is a buyable thing but it would be expensive the way im talking about would be by writing a program that analyzes the music while its playing and then sending i2c commands via the com port off the computer. to probably a teensy connected to the leds

Just now, Alaradia said:

I am going to want to put WAYYYYYY more RGB leds than what those can power.

I was thinking several dozen of those 15' strips, and a bulk of RGB spot lights.

Lighting really is not my area of experience -.-

2 minutes ago, HeyKitty said:

I was thinking several dozen of those 15' strips, and a bulk of RGB spot lights.

yeah what you're looking for is either some custom built or commercial level 

1 minute ago, Alaradia said:

yeah what you're looking for is either some custom built or commercial level 

Commercial.

Its commercial use.

1 minute ago, HeyKitty said:

For large setups if you want them all to sync together your going to need to design your setup so they repeat or amplify the signal and provide power for subsequent lights down the line. As said with the setup and cost your looking at you may want to go for professional lighting control options using a DMX and proper commercial lights. 

http://www.supernight.cc/supernight-sound-activated-rgb-led-music-controller-144w-2-ports-output-for-rgb-color-changing-led-strips-with-remote-control.html

https://www.amazon.com/EPBOWPT-12-24V-Repeater-Signal-Amplifier/dp/B01KHOTGPI/ref=sr_1_3?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1503886250&sr=1-3

1 minute ago, W-L said:

For large setups if you want them all to sync together your going to need to design your setup so they repeat or amplify the signal and provide power for subsequent lights down the line. As said with the setup and cost your looking at you may want to go for professional lighting control options using a DMX and proper commercial lights. 

http://www.supernight.cc/supernight-sound-activated-rgb-led-music-controller-144w-2-ports-output-for-rgb-color-changing-led-strips-with-remote-control.html

https://www.amazon.com/EPBOWPT-12-24V-Repeater-Signal-Amplifier/dp/B01KHOTGPI/ref=sr_1_3?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1503886250&sr=1-3

yup, got power injectors on the list.

not sure $13.50 audio pickup is considered "commercial grade"  I'd still prefer something that plugs straight into the source.

Just now, HeyKitty said:

yup, got power injectors on the list.

not sure $13.50 audio pickup is considered "commercial grade"  I'd still prefer something that plugs straight into the source.

There are ones that have audio in but you're not going to want to look into consumer stuff like this your looking at stuff around this kind of range. It will require two portions a DMX controller and software side and the wiring and LED controller/power accordingly. 

https://sirs-e.com/product-category/led-lighting/led-strip-controllers/led-dmx-controllers/

https://sirs-e.com/product-category/dmx-control/dmx-software-controller/

9 hours ago, HeyKitty said:

So I need to setup RGB or RGBW lights.

I need them to dance to music.

music is being played off of spotify > Win10 > PC > 1/8" converted to XLR > active loud speaker system.

I was thinking have certain lights change with certain frequencies.  Unless there is a better easy way (not programming each song individually)

The term you're looking for is "light organ". A google search for that came up with this right away: https://www.amazon.com/5-Channel-Light-Organ-Kit/dp/B004HMW6HM

Altough that's expensive for basically a bunch of buffered RC filters with triac outputs. You should be able to find cheaper stuff it you look around, for LEDS you also don't need the triac ouput, simple open collector output would suffice.

• 2 weeks later...

Whats the budget like?
Whats the idea here, running it along a wall or attached to something.

Lets do this shit
Long story short china is your friend what ever your buying unless its expensive its a chinese re seller so skip the shit and buy it from china your self save some money.

LED DMX CONTROLER

So what this is is a simple DMX to LED converter. Buy your led tape shit. Plug it into this and then you use DMX cables to connect them together. Then you use software on a computer or a control desk to control the lights. These computers or desks use special software which you can control the lights with.

LED tape
As long as its TM1809 is all guci and will work with the controller. Just look at the store page it says how to wire it. It aint hard.

Lighting control 
You need to use a computer or a control desk to control the lights via DMX signals.  I dont know many pieces of software which do sound to light since I normally use higher end software which is supposed to have many hours put into it to design something. You may have to do a bit of research or someone else may have to recommend something which does DMX sound to light.
Personally I use Avolites Titain software. Its easy to learn, reasonably easy to use. But it doesnt have sound to light mode so no good for you.

Also you will need some 3 pin DMX cable. Just find the cheapest seller near you. Or if you are decent with a soldering iron make you own with custom lengths probably cheaper.

4 hours ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

Lets do this shit

Awesome advice.  helps out a lot.

Now I feel like all I need to do is find the right software.

Thanks for the help!