No ethernet once windows loaded...? Dell T30 Xeon E3-1225V5

staubgame
Go to solution Solved by Wwadsworth,
Just now, staubgame said:

Well you're most likely better than me already at this then ;)

It's a fresh windows install for a client, he wants three of these. All with m.2 SSD.

I finished this first one and was about to clone the drive when I noticed this "bug".

Are you plugged into a switch? Or is your setup weird kind of like how mine was? Router 1 → Switch 1 → Switch 2 → Router 2. The last IT guy had this setup and router 2 caused a lot of issues until I switched it to Bridge mode instead then it work fine.

So I have the following problem:
I have a new Dell T30 with the Xeon E...something. 
I installed windows 10 and everything worked fine (even ethernet). Installed chipset drivers and swoosh, my ethernet connection decides to randomly work or not.

During boot the lights (at the port on the back) are flashing.

Once Windows Desktop comes up, no connection, just the red dot that no cable is connected.

Un/Replugging does nothing.

Clean  un- and reinstallation (uninstall, cclean, reboot, reinstall) did not help.

The weird thing is, randomly it works.

If I uninstall the driver, windows automatically reinstalls it and it works.

But after reboot I'm back to random behavior.

What could cause this? :<

I had this issue on several Intel compute sticks that we use for a signage player after a windows 10 update. My fix for it was flashing the bios with the newest addition then updating the drivers.

I had this issue on several Intel compute sticks that we use for a signage player after a windows 10 update. My fix for it was flashing the bios with the newest addition then updating the drivers.

This could become interessting as the OS is installed on an m.2 SSD which is disabled by Dell after 1.0.3 (1.0.6 is current)

I really hope that isn't it...

1 minute ago, staubgame said:

This could become interessting as the OS is installed on an m.2 SSD which is disabled by Dell after 1.0.3 (1.0.6 is current)

I really hope that isn't it...

Holy crap why would they do that? Try just the driver updates instead.

Just now, Wwadsworth said:

Holy crap why would they do that? Try just the driver updates instead.

Apparently because they used the same motherboard in a "bigger" variant and this is to make more of a difference between them or something. 

I tried different drivers (dell, windwos update) but all came to the same problem.

The only thing i can really think of is get the name and model of the Ethernet adapter and get the latest driver from there website. With the version of windows you have ex.Windows 10 64-Bit.

Also make sure the devices properties are not set to go into power savings. I've had issues with some Ethernet adapters not working because windows had them in power savings. (You can check that in device manager, in your Ethernet adapters properties windows under the tab of power management).

(ノ≧∇≦)ノ ミ ┸━┸

4 minutes ago, kingforge said:

The only thing i can really think of is get the name and model of the Ethernet adapter and get the latest driver from there website. With the version of windows you have ex.Windows 10 64-Bit.

Also make sure the devices properties are not set to go into power savings. I've had issues with some Ethernet adapters not working because windows had them in power savings. (You can check that in device manager, in your Ethernet adapters properties windows under the tab of power management).

Currently installing different bios versions, will definetly try this if it does not help. 

Edit: Bios did not help since no windows with the more recent versions.

6 minutes ago, staubgame said:

Apparently because they used the same motherboard in a "bigger" variant and this is to make more of a difference between them or something. 

I tried different drivers (dell, windwos update) but all came to the same problem.

Have you flushed the DNS? How long ago did you install to windows 10?

I am limited on my information FYI, I was hired to learn how to be system admin so I'm still kind of fresh to this.

Just now, Wwadsworth said:

Have you flushed the DNS? How long ago did you install to windows 10?

I am limited on my information FYI, I was hired to learn how to be system admin so I'm still kind of fresh to this.

It's a fresh windows install for a client, he wants three of these. All with m.2 SSD.

I finished this first one and was about to clone the drive when I noticed this "bug".

10 minutes ago, kingforge said:

Power Savings was on, turned it of but that didn't help. Drivers are only available from Dell as far as I can see.

Just now, staubgame said:

Are you plugged into a switch? Or is your setup weird kind of like how mine was? Router 1 → Switch 1 → Switch 2 → Router 2. The last IT guy had this setup and router 2 caused a lot of issues until I switched it to Bridge mode instead then it work fine.

Last thing that comes to mind would be a complete re-install of windows since it looks like the os is causing this.

I have the image of the completed system so I can "undo" it by cloning back.

3 minutes ago, Wwadsworth said:

The weird setup. :D
One router managing everything in my living room connected to a switch for the tv, then a really long cable to my workplace in the other room with another switch (my pc) and then another router (working as a switch because also wireless network) for work-stuff (more convenient this way). I probably fail to describe it correctly. It's like one long snake going from one end of my place to the other ^^

Would be the very first system to have this error and it's not a connecivity problem, Windows says the cable is not even connected.

What is the hardware id of the network card if you don't mind me asking? Maybe there is a known issue for the network adapter and the version of windows your using?

(ノ≧∇≦)ノ ミ ┸━┸

I would try the complete re-install. That has been a good chunk of my go-tos for a while now and it fixes practically everything when it comes to windows.

5 minutes ago, kingforge said:

What is the hardware id of the network card if you don't mind me asking? Maybe there is a known issue for the network adapter and the version of windows your using?

PCI\Ven_8086&DEV_15B7&SUBSYS_06B71028&REV_31
PCI\Ven_8086&DEV_15B7&SUBSYS_06B71028

PCI\Ven_8086&DEV_15B7&CC_020000

PCI\Ven_8086&DEV_15B7&CC_0200

These 4 pop up.

4 minutes ago, Wwadsworth said:

I would try the complete re-install. That has been a good chunk of my go-tos for a while now and it fixes practically everything when it comes to windows.

Gonna flush the image to another machiene now, to see if this one has the same problem, then going for a new installation.

I have 3 Dell T30 and 3 m.2 SSD lying around, so I can try :D

Still sad how in my almost 10 years of doing this on the side, doing a new install of windows is not only fixing the problem 90% of the time, it's also almost always the cheapest solution for the costumer... ^^

Since you've already done a fresh install (sounds like maybe more than once) I would boot to a Linux Live CD and see if the ethernet adapter works consistently there. If it doesn't run as consistently then the hardware may be faulty.

CompTIA A+ Certified

"We are all cups, quietly and constantly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip yourself and let the good things pour out." - Ray Bradbury

53 minutes ago, RossMadness said:

Since you've already done a fresh install (sounds like maybe more than once) I would boot to a Linux Live CD and see if the ethernet adapter works consistently there. If it doesn't run as consistently then the hardware may be faulty.

I actually did more than one fresh install, but only because I was careles when installing the costumers wishlist of programs, somehow I got infected with a free antivirus and some browser crap. Thus, I reinstalled fresh. :P

Whenever it's booting the LAN LEDs are lighting up as they should, it's once I'm on windows that they stop.

49 minutes ago, kingforge said:

Found the driver page from Intel, you will need to choose the appropriate version of windows of course.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/82185/Intel-Ethernet-Connection-I219-LM

That's amazing, I'm gonna try that right away. Good thing I got delayed with new install. Hope that helps :3

If not, it's new windows time again *sigh* ^^

Auntie Edit: Nothing changed, so new installation it is.

Okay now it get's interessting, the new installation already has this issue.... 

Edit: Update: So now install to normal HDD and then BIOS Update. If that fixes it, this is gonna be interessting... :<

Edit 2: Fresh new install with Bios Update on HDD. LAN f**king works... *cries in prebuild*

2 hours ago, Wwadsworth said:

Strange how this was it all along. Thanks a lot for helping and trying to help. :)

2 minutes ago, staubgame said:

Strange how this was it all along. Thanks a lot for helping and trying to help. :)

You're welcome, did you lose the m.2 option though? 

12 minutes ago, Wwadsworth said:

You're welcome, did you lose the m.2 option though? 

On that one pc at last, yeah. Without the bios update it doesn't work reliably so no way I can sell that.

I found others using m.2 SSDs however, so now I have to try the other two T30s I have here if they show the same problem. 

Luckily I can simply install win 10 and already see if the problem appears, and that goes rather quickly on a m.2 ssd.

Still sucks.

However, If it is only that one machiene, I can use my image. :D

10 minutes ago, staubgame said:

One final update. The second machine shows the same error.

This actually got me thinking again and I was able to retrace the error to a fauly router.

Shame.... *ding ding ding* shame. Shame.