First High End Gaming Rig, Opinions wanted

IHackedDeath

Hey guys,

This is my first go at a high end gaming rig so I am after opinions/ideas on how it should run or how to make it better,

looking at an intel build with watercooling, with the ability to play the latest games on ultra as well as playing VR games, also able to overclock (not extremely but lightly overclock), would LOVE to have a silent rig as well(as silent as possible).

I have no budget.

Dual monitors, main monitor 1440p 144hz, second 1920 x 1080 also 144hz.

Already got a pc that has lasted about 7 years but in dire need of an upgrade so I am going all out on a big upgrade that will last me a while.

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/LwkdkT

That is my build list.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thank guys.

PS. This isn't my first computer build just first high end build (first watercooling build).

If you're playing in 2k, the 1080 Ti should make that a pushover. In fact, it's almost a bit unnecessary. A 1080 would be enough. With that money saved, you can get a good SSD. The WDs are rubbish compared to Samsung. I'd recommend a 500GB 960 evo or 850 evo. In terms of CPU, you might even want to wait for coffee lake, as the i7 8700k is supposedly 11% faster in single core, and 51% faster in multicore. Other than that, looks good. Welcome to the Master Race, may your frames be high and temps be low!

HEADS UP, THIS ACCOUNT IS INACTIVE NOW

I'm keeping everything else the way it was for anyone who might check out my answers in future, but I won't be using LTT.

Don't forget to quote me when replying to me!

Please explain your question fully, so I can answer it fully.

PSU Tier List Cooler Tier List SSD Tier List  My Specs Below!

Spoiler

My PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.2GHz

Cooler: Stock Wraith Spire

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3000mHz 16GB DDR4 (2x8GB) RGB

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming ATX

SSD: Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5"

HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm

GPU: Asus ROG Strix OC GTX 1060 6GB

Case: Cooler Master H500P

PSU: Corsair RM650i 650W 80+ Gold Fully Modular

Fans: 4x Cooler Master Masterfan Pro 120 Air Balance

Spoiler

Potato Laptop (Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook, 2013):

CPU: Intel Ivy Bridge i5 3337U @ 1.8GHz

RAM: 8GB DDR3 2133mhz SODIMM (1x4GB Samsung, 1x4GB Kingston)

SSD: Kingston 24GB SSD (originally for caching)

HDD: HGST 500GB 5400rpm

GPU: Intel HD 4000 Graphics

There are some things I don't quite understand:

-Why the extremely unnecessary 4266MHz memory when diminishing returns for RAM start to kick in after 3000MHz?

-Why the high-end APEX board which has features that you probably won't even use? It also won't fit in that case.

-Why get the Poseidon when you can get a GTX 1080Ti for $400 less that performs about the same?

Basically, my main complaints are "why are you overspending on some parts that'll give you no tangible improvements"?

If you want silence, then get an air cooler over an AIO liquid cooler. And buying the i7-7700K is bad when Coffee Lake is around the corner.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

5 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

-Why get the Poseidon when you can get a GTX 1080Ti for $400 less that performs about the same?

Almost seems like he looked at a parts list and went "Aha, the most expensive one." Price =/= performance, especially with Asus.

I'm keeping everything else the way it was for anyone who might check out my answers in future, but I won't be using LTT.

Spoiler

My PC:

Spoiler

Hey guys, thanks for replying.

7 hours ago, JaegerB said:

If you're playing in 2k, the 1080 Ti should make that a pushover. In fact, it's almost a bit unnecessary. A 1080 would be enough. With that money saved, you can get a good SSD. The WDs are rubbish compared to Samsung. I'd recommend a 500GB 960 evo or 850 evo. In terms of CPU, you might even want to wait for coffee lake, as the i7 8700k is supposedly 11% faster in single core, and 51% faster in multicore. Other than that, looks good. Welcome to the Master Race, may your frames be high and temps be low!

With this build I kept adding stuff to the list and didn't realise what it had gotten to, I had changed it about 10 times and this is what it ended up as, a mess.

I still needed to change a few things a.k.a hdd & ssd, but thought getting a professional opinion would be better.

I have heard that the 960 evo is really good so I shall add that to the list.

I shall also wait for the coffee lake as I had not heard about them so thank you :)

7 hours ago, HKZeroFive said:

There are some things I don't quite understand:

-Why the extremely unnecessary 4266MHz memory when diminishing returns for RAM start to kick in after 3000MHz?

-Why the high-end APEX board which has features that you probably won't even use? It also won't fit in that case.

Basically, my main complaints are "why are you overspending on some parts that'll give you no tangible improvements"?

If you want silence, then get an air cooler over an AIO liquid cooler. And buying the i7-7700K is bad when Coffee Lake is around the corner.

The memory was a testing thing for me, as I have never had anything over 1333 MHz So I may have gone a bit overboard on some areas, my bad.

The Apex was because I thought it would give me room to upgrade if more options became available later down the road.

It also looks really REALLY nice. LIGHTING :D

also I thought that liquid coolers would usually run more silently then running a normal fan setup, or is an air cooler something different?

And as above I wasn't aware of the Coffee Lake series so I will wait :)

7 hours ago, JaegerB said:

Almost seems like he looked at a parts list and went "Aha, the most expensive one." Price =/= performance, especially with Asus.

Yeah some things were a bit overboard :P but the main thing was I was unaware of how many different 1080ti's there were.

Also the only ROG 1080ti so I decided I would probably choose something else but not sure what to choose I chose the mathcing ROG.

Thanks again guys, anyhelp is much appreciated :)

1 hour ago, IHackedDeath said:

The memory was a testing thing for me, as I have never had anything over 1333 MHz So I may have gone a bit overboard on some areas, my bad.

I would suggest to simply get a kit of 3000 - 3200MHz TridentZs which would do nearly just as well.

The Apex was because I thought it would give me room to upgrade if more options became available later down the road.

It also looks really REALLY nice. LIGHTING :D

It's a subjective thing but I imagine there are a good amount of significantly cheaper ASUS ROG motherboards that look just as good.

If you meant 'more GPUs and storage options' by "expansion", there are plenty of cheaper motherboards that offer the same sort of feature-set. Keep in mind that there's no upgrade path for the Z270 chipset when it comes to CPUs.

And yeah, another reminder that this specific motherboard will not fit in the case you have chosen (because of its EATX form factor).

also I thought that liquid coolers would usually run more silently then running a normal fan setup, or is an air cooler something different?

Liquid coolers have more moving parts (and thus, more points of failure) in comparison to an air cooler. With an air cooler, the fan is the only part producing noise. With an AIO, it's the fan and the pump.

A good air cooler such as the Noctua NH-D15 (or the beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 or CRYORIG R1 Ultimate if you're looking for better looking options) will produce less noise than a 240/280mm AIO while performing roughly the same when it comes to cooling.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

10 hours ago, IHackedDeath said:

Hey guys,

This is my first go at a high end gaming rig so I am after opinions/ideas on how it should run or how to make it better,

looking at an intel build with watercooling, with the ability to play the latest games on ultra as well as playing VR games, also able to overclock (not extremely but lightly overclock), would LOVE to have a silent rig as well(as silent as possible).

I have no budget.

Dual monitors, main monitor 1440p 144hz, second 1920 x 1080 also 144hz.

Already got a pc that has lasted about 7 years but in dire need of an upgrade so I am going all out on a big upgrade that will last me a while.

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/LwkdkT

That is my build list.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thank guys.

PS. This isn't my first computer build just first high end build (first watercooling build).

The ssd is a sub-optimal choice given all the other components. Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive is a much better choice.

The psu is very good. But I would suggest going with the newer and better G3 if they are available. If not, check out the RMx series from Corsair. Allowing for aging and overclocking, a 650W would be more than enough capacity for the build.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Thank you to all who have commented,

1 hour ago, HKZeroFive said:

I would suggest to simply get a kit of 3000 - 3200MHz TridentZs which would do nearly just as well.

It's a subjective thing but I imagine there are a good amount of significantly cheaper ASUS ROG motherboards that look just as good.

If you meant 'more GPUs and storage options' by "expansion", there are plenty of cheaper motherboards that offer the same sort of feature-set. Keep in mind that there's no upgrade path for the Z270 chipset when it comes to CPUs.

And yeah, another reminder that this specific motherboard will not fit in the case you have chosen (because of its EATX form factor).

Liquid coolers have more moving parts (and thus, more points of failure) in comparison to an air cooler. With an air cooler, the fan is the only part producing noise. With an AIO, it's the fan and the pump.

A good air cooler such as the Noctua NH-D15 (or the beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 or CRYORIG R1 Ultimate if you're looking for better looking options) will produce less noise than a 240/280mm AIO while performing roughly the same when it comes to cooling.

Thank you for the tips about the fan and ram, I will take it on board and start looking to my new build once the coffee lake series is released.

46 minutes ago, Veltn said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JTDxzM

heres a build i just made it on the spot

Thank you for the list, it really helped looking at more options to choose from and this setup is probably very close to what I would look to build.

27 minutes ago, brob said:

The ssd is a sub-optimal choice given all the other components. Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive is a much better choice.

The psu is very good. But I would suggest going with the newer and better G3 if they are available. If not, check out the RMx series from Corsair. Allowing for aging and overclocking, a 650W would be more than enough capacity for the build.

I will definitely be going for a samsung evo ssd, most likely 960 250 - 500 gb m.2-2280 ssd, also probably the RMx series from corsair I will choose for the build.

Once this new Coffee Lake series comes out I will start to build a pc again,

Thank you for the very informative comments,

it is very much appreciated :)

I will now do some heavy research on the coffee lake series, if anyone has some recommendations at what build to look at for coffee lake, as in anything in similar stature, or a good website that is informative on things like this it would be mush appreciated.

@IHackedDeath, Coffee Lake-S, the desktop cpu, do not exist outside of the Intel development group. The specs are mostly speculation and rumour. About the only things that seem fairly solid are:

• will require motherboards with a new chipset
  • will be in an LGA1151 package
  • the i5 will have six cores, i7 six hyperthreaded cores
  • the cores will have different turbo speeds depending on how many cores are being accelerated
  • Intel says 30% better performance than Skylake-S

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

10 hours ago, IHackedDeath said:

Also the only ROG 1080ti so I decided I would probably choose something else but not sure what to choose I chose the mathcing ROG.

If you want parts that "sync" with each other, pick gigabyte Mobo and GPU. So much cheaper, so much better. Don't fall into Asus's hype machine.

Spoiler

My PC:

Spoiler