GPU for my ageing APU

berzelius
Go to solution Solved by Gaming_Groove,
1 hour ago, berzelius said:

Suggestions for the highest possible Graphics Card that I can pair with an A8 7600. I'm aiming for a 480 or 1060, but quite worried that my APU could bottleneck these cards.

Get a 1050 Ti. My girlfriend has an A8-5500 and they work well together. For comparison, I'm running the same GPU with an i5-3330 and we get similar performance on most games. CPU bound games like strategy games reveal the bottleneck on her machine, but we're generally happy with the performance. Anything above a 1050 Ti is probably a waste with that CPU. 

Suggestions for the highest possible Graphics Card that I can pair with an A8 7600. I'm aiming for a 480 or 1060, but quite worried that my APU could bottleneck these cards.

I wouldn't pair anything above a 1050ti with that APU

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

16 minutes ago, Moress said:

I wouldn't pair anything above a 1050ti with that APU

that cpu is garbage, he would need to play in 4k in order to not bottleneck that gpu in somewhat recent games, maybe get a used gtx 570 or something

1 hour ago, berzelius said:

Get a 1050 Ti. My girlfriend has an A8-5500 and they work well together. For comparison, I'm running the same GPU with an i5-3330 and we get similar performance on most games. CPU bound games like strategy games reveal the bottleneck on her machine, but we're generally happy with the performance. Anything above a 1050 Ti is probably a waste with that CPU. 

4 hours ago, berzelius said:

some games do bottleneck even with a 470 which is less powerful than both GPU you intend to upgrade to. 

I had a client with an APU A10 7860k and overwatch made it hit 100% with a 470. 

In short: yes, you will bottleneck it.

1050Ti or 470 is as far as i'd go with that CPU. 

5 hours ago, berzelius said:

Buy something below a 470 and Crossfire it with the APU for lolz